Mmf Is Getting On My Freaking Nerves, Please Help

Decorating By ellacake Updated 1 May 2010 , 2:08pm by ellacake

ellacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellacake Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am so sick of my mmf accessory pieces cracking. This time I made a rainbow for the top of my cake , and, of course, it cracked. I'm so sick of it that I may just quit making my fondant. Any one have tips, I am not a professional, just a home cake bakericon_smile.gif Also, i need help on how to fix my cracked rainbow if its possible. thanks alot

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

I use Wilton fondant for ALL of my fondnat decorations. Bows, figures, etc. That stuff is great for making accessories for your cakes.

I've never had any luck with MMF period. I use MFF. The only way I can get MMF to work for me is to mix it 50/50 with modeling chocolate.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #3 of 7

Try adding some tylose to the MMF when making accessories. I don't have any trouble with cracking.

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #4 of 7

I'm an extreme newbie myself, so I don't have any advice -- other than perhaps to mix in some gum-tex (1 tsp. to 12 ox. fondant) -- but be careful when buying Wilton's products and make sure you can return to the store you're purchasing it from. While usually great, the last time I bought some of their fondant to make accessories the stuff was dry and cracked before I even opened it! They said it was a new batch they'd just got in, and thankfully let me exchange it (no return). Instead of trying my luck again, I just bought more decorating accessories.

CheriG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriG Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #5 of 7

I just bought "duff" from ACE of CAKES fondant. It is expensive but has a great taste and easy to work with. Found it at Michaels

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use Wilton fondant for ALL of my fondnat decorations. Bows, figures, etc. That stuff is great for making accessories for your cakes.

Me too! It dries nicely & doesn't crack. Try it.

ellacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellacake Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much for your help everyone. I live overseas most of the time so I have no choice but to make my own fondant. Right now I am in the U.S. so I will just buy the Wilton and make another rainbow. I started using Wilton and yes, it was very easy... I guess I just need to use that, but when I'm in Thailand, I may experiment with another fondant recipe or by adding that tylose stuff. thanks again for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%