Adding Gum Tex Tommf

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 1 May 2010 , 4:19am by ceshell

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 3

I dont have tylose or gumpaste at the moment...but had purchased some Wilton Gum Tex at some point...havent even opened it yet....
but I was wondering how we add Gum Tex to the MMF? Has anyone done it?
Do I have to prepare Gum tex..or do I just add the powder to the fondant?
And in what quantity?

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickulz

I dont have tylose or gumpaste at the moment...but had purchased some Wilton Gum Tex at some point...havent even opened it yet....
but I was wondering how we add Gum Tex to the MMF? Has anyone done it?
Do I have to prepare Gum tex..or do I just add the powder to the fondant?
And in what quantity?

I hesitated to answer because I do not have a formula for mixing the Gum Tex to the MMF (and yes, you can add that directly to the fondant and work it in). But since no one else has answered yet: I just sort of mix it in and go by feel. Maybe about 2 tbsps to 1/3 of my MMF recipe. Tylose is pretty much the same thing as Gum Tex. The benefit is you dont tend to get the cracks and creases you get from working with the gumpaste/fondant mix and it doesnt dry out as fast as pure gumpaste. It will dry hard, but takes longer... HTH!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #3 of 3

Yep, I do the same thing...I just sprinkle it in and knead, but as for how much I go by feel too. Tylose is better but gum-tex is a really great option to use if you don't have tylose. I used it exclusively for at least a year, maybe two, before I finally got my hands on tylose. Just sprinkle it on in! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%