Show Me A Cake That You've Made For Your Birthday.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 7 Aug 2013 , 6:44pm by JWinslow

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 115

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and I've been 'debating' about whether I want to make a cake for myself. The practice would be good, and I can really choose a design that *I* will really like. If you've made a cake for your own birthday, I'd love to see it for inspiration icon_smile.gif

114 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 115

I never get around to doing a cake for myself...I end up being so busy and tired by the end of the week...hubby jsut buys me an ice cream cake or something!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 115

The last time I had a decorated birthday cake was 4 years ago. And this was the one I did. It was something I Had been wanting to do for awhile and was a GREAT excuse to try it, and if it didn't turn out, I wasn't going to be stressing about it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=30321

Otherwise I usually just do a 6 or 8" round and put some icing on it, no decorations.

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 115

Sorry I asked for pie this year. I was just too busy and tired of eating cake!!!

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 115

This is a cake I did for myself, my sister and brother in law. Our birthdays are within a week of eachother. I went all out because I wanted to try something new and have something to put in my portfolio.
LL

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 115

Funny, my birthday is today and I've been wondering the same thing! "What do CC people make on his/her birthday?" I usually ask for an ice cream cake, but this year I wanted to try swags. I will post a picture when it's done.

This cake has been fun, no stress!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 115

Okay so after looking at Rachel5370's cake I might not be posting my cake. Holy cow icon_eek.gif ! That's a great cake!!

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 115

Thankyou Kim! You should post your cake- I wanna see! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 115

The last thing I want on MY birthday is cake lol... much less one I have to make myself. I'd much prefer a nice creme brulee or some decadent homemade ice cream (again, that someone ELSE made, for once lol).

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 115

Don't have any pics (since my b-day hasn't come this year yet), and every year before this one my husband (of almost 8 years) would purchase me one of those character cakes from like Walmart or the grocery store (don't kill him just yet, it was an inside joke between us). Last year, when I started making more cakes for other people, he just up and says I didn't get you a cake this year because anything I got you wouldn't be as good as the cake you would make yourself!! I was flattered, but at the same time I was looking forward to not making a cake last year. I didn't have a cake for my b-day last year, but I have big plans for Mother's Day and my b-day cake this year.

I say take this as an opportunity to do the most extreme thing you have wanted to try, and if you don't get it right, it will be fine and you have at least had a great learning experience. Don't forget to post pics after it's done!!! I know it will be great, whatever you decide to do!!!

Ashley

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 115

I agree. I don't think I even want to see cake on my birthday! DQ ice cream cake maybe..lol!

cerasmiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerasmiles Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 115

This was the cake I made for myself. Bottom tier was chocolate fudge cake with banana filling and the top tier was white chocolate cake with strawberry cream filling.[/img]

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 115

my very first cake I ever made.. my very first time with MMF, gel colors... long before I found this delightful website. Made it myself. My husband thought it was sad that I made my own, but I loved it!!
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 115

I don't normally do anything for my birthday (I'm not afraid of age ... I just don't think birthdays are any big deal ... been that way since my early 20's), but on my 50th, I made a doozie!! I made it for dessert for one of my fraternity caterings. Told them, "This is an old lady's dream .... to spend her 50th birthday with 160 good looking college guys!!" icon_lol.gif

I just threw anything and everything on this cake! I wanted it to be busy, on the edge of gaudy, with a mix of BC and fondant work. I didn't have time to go buy the Mardi Gras feathers that I wanted to put on it! icon_cry.gif
LL

grahamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grahamc Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 115

I usually get a store bought cheesecake, but this past year was my big 4-0 so I made this cake. It gave me all kinds of problems, so I was happy it was just for me!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1543727

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 115

I don't usually do my own birthday cake, but I did recently make myself a college graduation cake icon_smile.gif It was also my first attempt at icing half the cake in buttercream and half in bettercreme.
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 115

ladycakes, your handwriting is BEAUTIFUL!!!

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #18 of 115

My birthday 33rd birthday cake. I did this last year. I wont do another one for my self again for a while. It took me forever to come up with an idea. I was very happy with how it turned out.
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #19 of 115

My birthday is two days after Christmas so I never make myself a cake. Nobody wants birthday cake that time of year and nobody feels like celebrating anything in those days between Christmas and New Years. icon_lol.gif

I will be making an exception this year because I'm going to hit the BIG 50 this year. Yoo Hoo. Like Indydebi, I'm going to make a big, busy, on the edge of gaudy cake and invite tons of people to help me eat it. I'm looking forward to my big 50th birthday thumbs_up.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #20 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

My birthday is two days after Christmas so I never make myself a cake. Nobody wants birthday cake that time of year and nobody feels like celebrating anything in those days between Christmas and New Years. icon_lol.gif

I will be making an exception this year because I'm going to hit the BIG 50 this year. Yoo Hoo. Like Indydebi, I'm going to make a big, busy, on the edge of gaudy cake and invite tons of people to help me eat it. I'm looking forward to my big 50th birthday thumbs_up.gif

My husband and his twin sister have a birthday on Dec 28. Their parents have their anniversary about a week later. My mother's birthday is Jan 1. So christmas is a HUGE cake time for me and I never feel like I've given everyone what they want. Mostly because we don't do anything. I felt SOOOOO bad this year because this year was my husband's (and his sister's) golden birthday. I thought, this year we gotta do something. So I called the family and told them we really should do something this year, I'll bring the cakes and it'll be great. I decided to make a RKT cake for hubby since he wasn't that into cake. The recipe I used was horrible and turned out so dry that I couldn't even use it. And his sister told me a week before the party that her friend had made appointments to try on wedding dresses that day and her being the maid of honor had to be there for it. I'm thinking on your birthday? Doesn't your "friend" realize what day it is???? She told everyone don't plan on her being at her own party because she might still be watching her friend try on dresses. That night, turns out her friend decided on the first dress she tried on and then they quit for the day. Obviously had no time to make her cake and she chided me about not bringing any cake to her party!

A couple years ago I tried to get people together for my golden birthday with no luck. And it happened that my golden birthday fell on a Saturday. But still, no one could make it. I can't remember the last time I've had cake at my birthday, let alone a get-together of any kind. Most of the time I feel a little mad at myself for getting frustrated at that, but is it really so bad to want to be with family and friends on your birthday?

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #21 of 115

For my 30th last July I made a big one! I went with kind of a black and white theme. It was a 14" round with a layer of white cake, layer of sugar cookie, layer of chocolate cake, and a layer brownie. The fillings were milk chocolate ganache, white chocolate ganache, and cookies and cream. I topped it with milk choc ganache and then dipped strawberries, bing cherries, and a few mini marshmallows for contrast.
LL

stello_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stello_creations Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #22 of 115

I was wanting to make an ocean cake so I made this cake for my birthday so I could share it with my family. party.gif
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #23 of 115

Rose..If you were my SIL and offered to do my bd cake I would have told that friend of mine to pick a different day icon_lol.gif I would love for someone to make me a fancy bd cake and give me a party. What was she thinking? I certainly wouldn't have been upset with you for not having cake after telling you not to even plan on me being there because of obligations to my friend. icon_confused.gif

You should make yourself one of those georgeous cakes even if no one is around to help you eat it. I'm going to have an amazing cake this year and if people want to help me celebrate fine...if not..well that's fine too. I have 7 children and 6 grandchildren so I certainly won't be by myself. I may not have 150 people to help me celebrate but those that are there will be the ones that love me the most anyway. icon_lol.gif To answer your question...NO it isn't wrong to want to be with family and friends on your birthday. Hopefully your next birthday will be better.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #24 of 115

I never make my own birthday cake. Maybe it's because my birthday falls on Christmas Eve, but my favorite birthday cake is a chocolate cake with real whipped cream for the icing. My mom would put the same plastic Christmas tree, sleigh, and reindeer on every year. I wonder what ever happened to those decorations? She always told me I was the best Christmas present she ever got. Ahhhh, what I wouldn't give for a slice of her cake right now. Well, thanks for the walk down memory lane, it is still magical.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:30am
post #25 of 115

How about THIS masterpiece??

Eh?? Eh???

icon_lol.gif btw, I am perfectly serious; this really was my BD cake. I wanted my own cake but I was too lazy to make icing, as I had plenty leftover in the freezer from my last cake.

Or so I thought. icon_redface.gif

Most people think it looks like a giant scoop of Rite Aid/Thrifty mint-chip ice cream so...uh, yeah! I meant to do that!
LL

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #26 of 115

LOLing ceshell!!

You know you make fabulous cakes when your guests won't believe that the cake you made for yourself is what you had left in the freezer!!

I can hear almost hear them thinking:
"well, it has to be SOMETHING...?? A giant scoop of ice cream, maybe? Yeah, that's it!! She made herself a cake that's a GIANT scoop of ICE CREAM! WOW!!"

icon_biggrin.gif

Love them all!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #27 of 115

This is what I made last year: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/emrldsky/Cakes/jadesbirthdaycake.jpg

I'm a hobby baker, so I don't get caked-out around my birthday. I had an ice cream cake at work (since I do several cakes for free for birthdays, I get one bought), and I knew DH probably didn't want t o make me anything out of intimidation.

What I really want to do this year is a darker purple, some splashy, big, and WOW! I'm thinking Topsy-Turvy, but I need to sketch a design, or look around.

Btw, I didn't get to enjoy my cake last year. After everyone came over, DH cooked on the grill, and then BAM! Migraine. icon_sad.gif I didn't make our friends leave, but made DH host. icon_wink.gif Everyone thought it was delicious, at least.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #28 of 115

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1385452.html

I like to make my own! If it flops its ok.
I get to try out new ideas and flavors!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #29 of 115

I am not sure if I would or not bake my own, havent given it too much thought to be honest. I have had a cake to do the past two weekends and as I sit at work, I am fighting sleep. I think I get a little too worked up over them. Often I wake up in the wee hours of the am and start thinking about how I will decorate, and never get back to sleep. Thank goodness I am camping this weekend - time to rest up! BTW - all the cakes posted look great! Its your birthday - so have what you want!

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:47am
post #30 of 115

I think the only birthday cake I've ever made for myself was a lemon poundcake I made using Ina Gartens yogurt poundcake recipe.... and I decided to play around with it adding all sorts of nonsense.

I ended up with a lemon brick that was dense, flavorless, and strangely textured thanks to the ricotta I stuck in it to make it an "italian" poundcake.

Therefore, I will not be posting pictures. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%