Out Of Curiousity

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 10:34pm by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 15

I inherited some cool things that used to be my Grandpa's he was a baker his whole life. He was born in Scotland and worked as a baker there before coming here and eventually running his own. One of the things I received was Renshaw icing sculptors. They look fairly old to me and I was just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of them. I have some Wilton ones but these are a bit different and Renshaw brand. I also received his old recipe book which has all recipes hand written by him from his days as a baker. I am just sharing that because I think it is just too neat! There is an Wedding fruit cake recipe that says 30 lbs! I think that is crazy! Apparently I can't post the pictures here. Please check the link and tell me what you think! (I put the pics on Flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46297477@N03/

14 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 15

Wow! What a special thing to inherit!

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 15

I know! Some tears did fall! I still can't believe it. And in truth I did not know to what extent my Grandpa did baking too. He sis EVERYTHING!! My Grandma made sure to tell me he would of been so proud... I barely held it together.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 15

Luv, that is the sweetest gift. that 30 lb cake- wow!!!

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 15

I know it is crazy I also have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies pretty basic right ... wrong it is for 53 dozen!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 15

What a wonderful legacy! I have not heard of that particular brand but they look great & you will think of your dear Grandpa everytime you use them.

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you and I sure will!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

I know it is crazy I also have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies pretty basic right ... wrong it is for 53 dozen!

53 dozen- you can knock those off in about an hour, right? lol

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 15

I think 53 dozen is slightly more than I have ever made before... icon_smile.gif well at one time anyway

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 15

I am suppose to be inheriting my great aunt's decorating stuff. Now I am really excited to see what she has. It will be so special. Thanks for sharing!!

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 15

Renshaw is a big brand in the UK and as your grandad was Scotish I guess that makes sense.
Lovely lovely things to keep anyway, my grandfather was into gardening and I still have a small spade of his even though he died over 25 years ago. Lovely to have a little something to bring back memories but the book will make really interesting ready too

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 15

What an amazing gift!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 15

THAT'S AN AMAZING GIFT

I COULD READ YOU RECIPE, IN THE WEST INDIES WHERE I AM FROM, THAT IS EXACTLY HOW WE MAKE WEDDING CAKE, AND CHRISTMAS CAKE WITH A LOT OF RUM ADDED,BUT BE CAREFUL IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH FLOUR, IT CAN GET STIFF.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 15

I am the sentimental kid in my family and love anything inherited!! Have some of Grandmother's recipes!! I spent a lot of time at her home. What a wonderful treasure to have something handed down throught the generations!!

luvbuttercream Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you all and thank you for the info jayne1873 I appreciate it and I happy to know that I assumed maybe it was from over there. It is all very sentimental and I don't know if I could bring myself to use any of it I do not want to wreck it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%