Whipped Icing

Baking By dahir Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:27pm by cakesrock

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 7

My sons girlfriend likes the grocery store (Tom Thumb) type icing. Does anyone tried a recipe for this. I searched through the recipes and found sveral that might work but if someone has tried one they like I would appreciate their recommendation.
Thanks for any help.

6 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

I just tried the whipped buttercream in recipes and it is fabulous. On another cc ers recommendation, I substituted 1/2 high ratio shortening and 1/2 butter for the crisco and it was even better!

Bull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bull Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

Can you find high ratio shortening in a grocery store, such as Wal-Mart?
Thanks, Opal

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 7

Most grocery store icings are shortening based.

cakesrock Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull

Can you find high ratio shortening in a grocery store, such as Wal-Mart?
Thanks, Opal

No, I couldnt even find it in a speciality store so had to order on-line. But the icing still tastes good with crisco- sub 1/2 the crisco out for butter if you want a richer flavour.
icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of 7

It's a great icing. It's in the recipe section under "whipped cream buttercream" and as cakesrock said, you don't HAVE to use hi-ratio; the recipe "as written" actually calls for shortening. I DO sub out the half-butter but that's just my personal preference.

cakesrock Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

It's a great icing. It's in the recipe section under "whipped cream buttercream" and as cakesrock said, you don't HAVE to use hi-ratio; the recipe "as written" actually calls for shortening. I DO sub out the half-butter but that's just my personal preference.

Ceshell was the one that gave me the HR shortening and butter idea and it is great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%