My Success With The Cricut Cake With Pic And Tips!

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:20am by Goreti

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm
post #211 of 456

Cricut has a cartridge out "Cricut Lite" - "Cupcake Wrappers" Can only be purchased at Wal-Mart. Picked up one at my local Wal-Mart this weekend. Don't have any cupcake orders at this time because I am not taking any orders until I get my health straightened up. But I am anxious to try it when I get better.

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:30am
post #212 of 456

I finally tried my cricut cake, and heres a link to the picture, let me know what u guys think. icon_biggrin.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1731839

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:45am
post #213 of 456

That is so pretty annabanana! What type of fondant did you use for the damask?

i have read and read and read and it is pretty clear that the cricut and MMF dont mix well!!

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #214 of 456

Looks awesome... how did you do the box?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #215 of 456

Great job! Did you use a cartridge if so which one??

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #216 of 456

Thank you everyone icon_smile.gif ,
I actually used wiltons fondant and gumpaste 50/50 and left it over night. I didn't refrigerate it. The box is a square cake and the lid is styro covered in fondant. and I used a mix of designs from both elegant cakes and cakes basic cartridges. TFL

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #217 of 456

Just wanted to say I love my Cricut Cake! I finally got a chance to take it out of the box yesterday. I had a cake to do and I learned as I made the cake. It took a little while to get the right ratio of product. I tried several different methods while I was working on the cake so some of the decos have rough edges and some don't.

I also froze it for about 20 minutes before cutting as some others suggested on CC and it worked great. I am looking forward to cutting more with it.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips and suggestions on working with the Cake.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:26pm
post #218 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

Just wanted to say I love my Cake! I finally got a chance to take it out of the box yesterday. I had a cake to do and I learned as I made the cake. It took a little while to get the right ratio of product. I tried several different methods while I was working on the cake so some of the decos have rough edges and some don't.

I also froze it for about 20 minutes before cutting as some others suggested on CC and it worked great. I am looking forward to cutting more with it.

That's great! Can I ask did you use fondant or gumpaste?

crazyladybaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #219 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

Just wanted to say I love my Cake! I finally got a chance to take it out of the box yesterday. I had a cake to do and I learned as I made the cake. It took a little while to get the right ratio of product. I tried several different methods while I was working on the cake so some of the decos have rough edges and some don't.

That's great! Can I ask did you use fondant or gumpaste?

I used several different ratios but in the end I think I liked the SA fondant with Tylose powder best. I also used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant but they seemed to dry and be rough on the edges.

Going to try and work with it some more this week to get it exactly right but I see promise now icon_smile.gif

cbmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbmimi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #220 of 456

I loved your cake you made with the cricut. I bought one from HSN thinking this would really be a faster,neater way to decorate. I have struggled with the cricut. I used several gumpaste recipes and finally broke down and bought Wilton fondant and gum tex. Freezing hasn't worked for me. I have let it dry for a while and this seemed to work the best. I especially wanted to have the phrase like HB and yours looks great. Mine stretch- The thickness has been a problem for me. Too thin or too thick. So I'll try the little less than a nickel. The high pressure scores my mat, so I reduced to low pressure. What am I doing wrong there? Is SI your favorite fondant? I have decorated for many years, and I can pipe so much faster. I admire anyone who can pick this up and get it to work.
Like you I found that rolling directly on the mat iworks best. I guess I just need to figure out which products to use with the Cricut. Need Help!
Thanks!!
Cheryl in NC

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #221 of 456

I too use a mixture of fondant/gumpaste or fondant/gumtex. I don't have a preference in which fondant to use. I use whatever I have or can get that is cheapest at the time. I have used SI, Wilton and Duff with no discernable difference.

I make my mixtures and color them and let sit overnight in an airtight container. The next day I roll it out to a #5 on my clay machine and then place the rolled out mixtures on the cricut mat and using my fondant smoother smooth the mixture out and can actually spread the mixture out thinner. Then I set aside and let sit while I get out my cricut and laptop and then load the mat and cut. When cutting out fonts, I cut more of each word or letter so that I have some extra in case of breakage.

I also have rolled out colors, placed it on flexible mats and stored it in 2 gal ziplock bags, then took out the colors I needed, removed it from the mat and placed on the cricut mat, smoothed down and cut. Worked like a charm.

I am attaching a photo of a graduation cake I did and used the cricut expression for all the designs except for the cap and tassel. I was really pleased with how it turned out. It's the graduation cake in my photos.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1723348.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif
LL

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:51pm
post #222 of 456

I finally played with my CC this weekend. I just had letters to make, and a possible scroll work, just for details. However, I barely made it through the letters! Forget about freezing for 20 mins, I had mine in, overnight. And after 3 letters, I'd have to place it back in the freezer.

I'm new to Fondant. After reading some of the comments, I know for next time, to add gum paste.

When one says, leaving it overnight; does that mean out to dry out, or in air tight containers. What's the difference in leaving it in an air tight container, to just pulling it straight from the bag and rolling it out?

Again, I'm new to Fondant... help. lol icon_confused.gif

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #223 of 456

depending on what type of fondant it is, freezing doesn't always work, satin ice doesn't work but I have just rolled it out and cut it right away, I have also done that with wilton too.
Lightly grease the mat.
roll it out directly on the mat to a little bit thinner than a nickel. It helps to roll it out on the mat with the mat on top of some non skid liner like for drawers and cabinets.
let it sit for a few minutes to dry a bit
I have mine set on 3 bars for speed and 4 bars for pressure. It is normal for the mat to get scored when cutting. Sometimes faster speed helps with cuts too, like straight lines or stars because the slower you go the more dragging you get.

CupQuequito Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #224 of 456

It was Wilton's. It gets pretty hard, but only lasts a few mins. However, I didn't add GP to it. That will be my next attempt! icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #225 of 456

I prefer Satin Ice when I work with the Cricut. I think that your area/humidity etc does make a difference as well.

Satin Ice seems more "moist" to me than other brands so that's why I used Tylose. I think it has terrific flavor compared to some others.
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #226 of 456

Freezing did not work at all for me, it got all slimy and sweaty. Just rolling it out on the mat and letting it firm up works great (for me - in AR) I have not tried SI, but fondarific mixed 50/50 with gumpaste has to sit all night where as Wilton only has to sit a few hours. I did figure out that if you cut out in reverse, then there are not any "snags" or rough edges. The side that is facing the Crisco on the mat is smooth and perfect!

CupQuequito Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #227 of 456

Mine did that... slimy and sweaty. icon_sad.gif

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #228 of 456

I have the Cricut Expression. Do you think I could buy the Cricut Cake mat & blade and use it for fondant?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #229 of 456

The cake blade will not fit the expression. You can use the deep cut blade but it doesn't work as well, you have to clean it out after every few cuts.

GrandmaG Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #230 of 456

I noticed the replacement blades look different than the one that came with the Cricut Cake. It looks more like a ball point pen end. At least that's what they're selling here. Any one notice that?

Karen421 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:55pm
post #231 of 456

No, but I am replacing mind tomorrow, so I will find out.

GrandmaG Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #232 of 456

How do you know when to replace it? Does it start tearing or just not cut?

Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #233 of 456
Quote:

How do you know when to replace it? Does it start tearing or just not cut?

Yes - that's what mine is doing. Snagging is more like it, not cutting clean like it use to. So I am going to replace it.

GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #234 of 456

Well, I hope I can get the hang of it. I made hearts that came out great but having trouble with the butterfly. It's getting to be expensive to learn how to get it just right. I think I need a new mat already. I've been using 50/50 mix so far and letting it dry 8 hours first. I think I need to learn to roll it out thinner next time too. It can be discouraging. icon_sad.gif

GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #235 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

No, but I am replacing mind tomorrow, so I will find out.

Never mind. I just figured out that the blade part is covered. What I was seeing was the top end. icon_redface.gif

Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #236 of 456
Quote:

Well, I hope I can get the hang of it. I made hearts that came out great but having trouble with the butterfly. It's getting to be expensive to learn how to get it just right. I think I need a new mat already. I've been using 50/50 mix so far and letting it dry 8 hours first. I think I need to learn to roll it out thinner next time too. It can be discouraging. icon_sad.gif

I killed my first mat before I even did a cake, but I got the hang of it. Don't get discouraged you'll get it and once you do - you'll be cutting everything!! I did a cake for my granddaughter's softball team and cut out a bunch of baseballs, and gloves, and hats, she was soooo happy! It makes all the practice well worth it!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #237 of 456

Thanks! I've been reading threads all night about what to use so I'm willing to keep trying! I'm going to try using fondant with gumtex next and then the Cutting Edge recipe to see how they work!

Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #238 of 456

Haven't tried the cutting edge recipe, but it is suppose to be really good. I have used Wilton, gumpaste, fondx, fondarfic, and cookie dough. I do mix the fondant 50/50 with gumpaste. I want to try sugar veil next, but haven't had the time yet. Good Luck!

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #239 of 456

Hi all,
I have used the cutting edge gumpaste and it works pretty good. But I have had much success with fondex with tylose added as well as Satin Ice with tylose. I have done letters mostly. I am much more successful when the letters (or artwork) are 2" or above in size. I usally do not measure the tylose just sprinkle some into enough fondant to cover most of the mat (I probably use a little more tylose then I would if I were making flowers.) I do run it through an electric pasta machine to cut down on rolling but it is only ten inches wide so I put that on the mat and roll a little more so that it adheres. I DO NOT freeze it.
I will add; that nothing is perfect, as I still get snagged or pulled from time to time and have to stop the machine, clean blade and redo everything.
Attached is a photo of lettering I did for a cake for Saturday. The name "Jesslyn" as well as a practice "C" in script. I also did the word "Congratulations!"(much smaller) but it is on the mat covered with saran wrap in this photo so you can't see it. It actually cut very nicely with one little spot that got a snag and missed a little cut but I was able to fix it. I will continue to post as I use it more and more...it has potential if you can get through the frustration of having an occassional redo.
Happy cutting!
Suzi
LL

Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #240 of 456

Very nice, and I love the curly Qs! Can't wait to see the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%