My Success With The Cricut Cake With Pic And Tips!

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:20am by Goreti

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #361 of 456

Check out SCAL also, I am really not sure which is better, and there has been pros and cons for both. That is the main reason I haven't gotten one yet. Here is a couple of good You Tube videos:

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 3:04pm
post #362 of 456

Karen I've been thinking about getting one of those programs as well, but I do remember reading something a while back about one being better than the other, or maybe it was one that didn't work with the cricut? I'm not sure though.
allaboutcake Once you get the hang of the machine, like when to use the shift key and so forth, that will be the easy part. Figuring out which medium to use is the challenge. I agree with Karen about freezing the fondant. I have only done it a few times, but I mostly can roll and cut. I happen to like Fondarific fondant, and I also like to use Cutting Edge's recipe for gumpaste. I'll be anxious to know how you made out cutting the star and heart.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #363 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Karen I've been thinking about getting one of those programs as well, but I do remember reading something a while back about one being better than the other, or maybe it was one that didn't work with the ? I'm not sure though.
allaboutcake Once you get the hang of the machine, like when to use the shift key and so forth, that will be the easy part. Figuring out which medium to use is the challenge. I agree with Karen about freezing the fondant. I have only done it a few times, but I mostly can roll and cut. I happen to like Fondarific fondant, and I also like to use Cutting Edge's recipe for gumpaste. I'll be anxious to know how you made out cutting the star and heart.

i'm going to try out one of the programs as have the demo so you can see what it will be like and cut but it puts line through until you buy but it's worth downloading the demo to see what you think of it -i'm testing MTC at moment.

Thanks for the youtube links I've been having a watch - there seems so much info on how to do stuff - loads to learn!

The stars came out much better when you press the base shadow blackout that someone recommended earlier in response to my problem. It only cuts round it once rather than the twice which seemed to squash the inner star! I've given up on freezing - found it went too sticky quickly so i'm rolling, leaving for 5/10 then cutting and is working ok so far. the challenge now is going to be a design I have of my own that I need - an emblem - to see how that is going to cope. What setting do you all normally use - medium or high for pressure?

iluvpeeks Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #364 of 456

allaboutcakeuk I'm glad I helped solve your problem with cutting the stars. Please keep us updated on the program. I usually use medium pressure, but sometimes medium high.
Kathy

Twomorecats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twomorecats Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #365 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomorecats

Hi guys, been reading all of this and now very excited about this machine, however I'm being a little dumb here, if I got this and the make the cut programm, how ans what to I need to transfer the image from the pc to the cutter?

Hi Twomorecats - yes it's exciting isn't it as I've just started playing with it this morning too. Now this is one answer I know - you need a cable - i've used the one I use for my printer that goes from the usb port in your pc or laptop to the back of the . You can see at back of next to the power inlet another point. It plugs into there. When you turn on MTC and press cut within the program it sends it to the to cut HTH icon_smile.gif

Thanks ,I was reading about others having other machines, etc and thought there is no way I can get OH to let me buy more stuff, but as you say a cable is all that is needed it sounds great, OMG, there are soooo many images I would want to cut, Im doing stuff for local cat and kitten rescue so pussy cats are a must, let alone ben 10 for my 3 yr old, will do a search an see the cheapest price for the software, no more carts at £70 for me!!!

kimbo13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbo13 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #366 of 456

Hi everyone,

Thanks to you all I didn't give up on the CC. I used a 50/50 of homemade fondant and GP rolled it out to 1/16 with icing sugar (you can use corn starch it dries faster) and left it to dry for about 15 mins. I was able to cut out 6 butterflies and remove them from the mat immediately.

The texture of the 50/50 was much stiffer than I thought it should have been but it works best stiffer.

The only problem I have is that the material 'pulls' a bit at the edges. I realised it was a problem for others CC users but is there a solution to this? Or would I have to use the reverse for all cuts?

Also, I used low pressure and low speed for my cuts and it was fine besides the edges. Plus I get to save my mat from being destroyed.

Karen421 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #367 of 456

Try medium - medium and letting it dry about 3 - 5 more minutes. Also check your blade to make sure it's not got stuff on it. icon_lol.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #368 of 456

Hi Kimbo
I'm so glad you didn't give up! I also had issues with the fondant pulling on the edges. Now I always start the cuts at least 2 inches in from the edge of the fondant. Also, make sure that there is good contact between the fondant and the mat. To assure this, roll it directly onto the mat. It does help.
Kathy

kimbo13 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #369 of 456

Ahh I see! I will try those tips! Thanks so much for your prompt responses. Yall are the best!

kimbo13 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #370 of 456

Ladies, I went at the CC again last night and had more success with it! Thank God =) After spending the money I really had to make it work.

It still tends to give me rough edges and I don't have the patience to clean it off so what I do is flip the image and use the backside of the cut.

But I am going to get the right texture to the 50/50 so I wont have to continuously flip the image.

Any suggestions on how to prevent the rough edges? Am I leaving it too long to dry or not long enough now?

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm
post #371 of 456

I don't think you're letting dry long enough. I roll it thin, put it in a zip lock bag and let it dry over night.

kimbo13 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #372 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I don't think you're letting dry long enough. I roll it thin, put it in a zip lock bag and let it dry over night.

I definitely can't do the overnight thing! That's way too long for me to wait. I live in the Caribbean so the weather is quite dry recently so that helps a lot. I'll leave it to dry a little longer. Thanks so much Tiggy

Karen421 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:32pm
post #373 of 456

That's why I ended up getting more mats - it really helps the process go faster. icon_lol.gif

kimbo13 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:17pm
post #374 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

That's why I ended up getting more mats - it really helps the process go faster. icon_lol.gif

Sigh! I know. I read that I should get more than one mat but I wasn't able to think about another item to purchase. It's costly for me since I have to ship these things in myself.

I read somewhere that you can use flexible cutting mats. Would you suggest using it?

Karen421 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #375 of 456

Well, I bought them ~ but I haven't had time to try them yet. They were cheap, 3 for 4.98 at Walmart. I have 6 regular mats and 2 of the long mats so that keeps me going at the moment. If I get a chance to try them in the next couple of days I will let you know. Several others have had good luck with them! icon_lol.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #376 of 456

I bought several flexible mats, roll out the gum paste, apply to the mat and put in a zip lock bag over night. Transfer to the cutting mat and away you go. Just be sure to use shortening on the mats so it doesn't stick.

kimbo13 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #377 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Well, I bought them ~ but I haven't had time to try them yet. They were cheap, 3 for 4.98 at Walmart. I have 6 regular mats and 2 of the long mats so that keeps me going at the moment. If I get a chance to try them in the next couple of days I will let you know. Several others have had good luck with them! icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gif Yes, please let me know how that goes for you. I will probably buy a few more mats. How can you tell when the mat is ready to be discarded?

Karen421 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #378 of 456

Oh you will know!!! I still use my worse one, but it seems to get harder to remove after it's cut and you cannot cut in reverse, because all the cut marks will show!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:33am
post #379 of 456

I had the bright idea of rolling out gumpaste and putting it on a cake board with wax paper on it and put it in the freezer...ehhhh....the wax paper would not come off the gumpaste hehe....so dont do that

Karen421 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:41am
post #380 of 456

Well, it was cleaver, and if it worked it would have been brilliant.

madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:59am
post #381 of 456

maybe if greased the wax paper it would work

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:44am
post #382 of 456

would maybe parchment paper work better..since its a lil more durable....or try a lil cornstarch or PS... I think grease might make it stickier.

madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:48am
post #383 of 456

yes thats what I was thinking right after I typed that lol....great minds huh

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #384 of 456

Micheal's had the cricut cake mats for 40% off last week ,not sure if they are still on sale.

Twomorecats Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #385 of 456

I did my first proper cricut cake today, pink and girly, it all went quite well. Ionly used fondant and for some reason today they cut out and came off the mat ok. icon_confused.gif Mind u they were fairly solid shapes. Anyhow the cake came out well and the client was really pleased with it. icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:38pm
post #386 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomorecats

I did my first proper cake today, pink and girly, it all went quite well. Ionly used fondant and for some reason today they cut out and came off the mat ok. icon_confused.gif Mind u they were fairly solid shapes. Anyhow the cake came out well and the client was really pleased with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Ah brill well done did you post any pics? i've been having a play with mine did a little cake for my friend at weekend who's wedding cake I did and they didn't get to eat any of their top tier so did a little sponge with some swirly hearts and Mr and Mrs lettering on the top in same flavour as their top tier. They came off the mat ok but I think also cos they were fairly solid and not too thin icon_smile.gif

Twomorecats Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #387 of 456

I have uploaded a pic, its very girly

kellybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellybelle Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #388 of 456

Micheal's Has the Cricut Cake on sale for 199.99 and the mats and things for 50% off till the 9th. I am going to get mine today icon_biggrin.gif Will be testing it out tonight I can't wait!!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:10pm
post #389 of 456

THANKS for the tip.

is that in store or online?

kellybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellybelle Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:12pm
post #390 of 456

It is in the store from what I know you can't buy online at Michael's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%