My Success With The Cricut Cake With Pic And Tips!

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:20am by Goreti

AnnBland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnBland Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #271 of 456

Has anyone found a way to make MMF work? I really can't stand the taste of Wilton fondant.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #272 of 456

I haven't had time to read this forum, but in case no one has mentioned it, the cricut gumpaste works great and doesn't taste too bad either. I was having a lot of trouble and then used it and Satin Ice and it works great. I also used Duff's fondant tpday for letters and it worked well also.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #273 of 456

I've read this whole thread and am on the verge of ordering a Cricut Cake. I haven't seen one issue addressed much: removing and applying the cutouts. When I cut out something with scissors or a rotary blade, I always put freezer paper or waxed paper under it. Then, I use that paper as a support for the fondant/gumpaste when transferring the piece to the cake, peeling it off once the piece is in place. Othewise, the piece gets all out of shape. Maybe I'm just all thumbs.

With the discussion of how the fondant is adhered to the cutting mat with shortening...it occurred to me that it must be difficult to remove the cutouts without ruining their shape, if the fondant is stuck firmly to the mat. What have you experienced in that regard?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #274 of 456

I wait a little while longer to move what I have cut. Today I am cutting scrolls- so I picked out all the "waste", waited about 30 minutes, then l have a 4" very thin spatula, I slide under and lift them off. I flip them on to wax paper So the crisco side is up and won't stick again, until I am ready for them. HTH icon_lol.gif

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #275 of 456

My pieces tend to come off of the mat easily (I only use a very small amount of shorteningon my mat). Once cut I leave the pieces on the mat to dry a little. I have yet to do a "pattern" but I have been told to cover cut outs and mat with wax/parchment paper or food grade acetate, then flip the mat. Not sure how this will work but I will give it a shot soon. I hope people will post photos of their successes! icon_biggrin.gif

auntiecake Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #276 of 456

I also use very little shortening and a very thin spatula and wait a little while. It works well for me too and I love the cricut gumpaste and Satin Ice fondant work well for me

auntiecake Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:48am
post #277 of 456

I also use very little shortening and a very thin spatula and wait a little while. It works well for me too and I love the cricut gumpaste and Satin Ice fondant work well for me

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #278 of 456

Thanks, y'all. That helps me visualize the process better.

Suzette

Karen421 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:12am
post #279 of 456

I love my Cricut Cake! This cake was for my DD's friend's wedding today.
LL

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:02am
post #280 of 456

That's gorgeous I bet she was really pleased! I so want the Cricut after hearing everyone on here. I just keep thinking what a joy it will be to cut out loads of stars for bursts etc all in one go! I'm in the UK though and the cost is ridiculous right now. I'm off to NY in a month though. Has anyone heard if its ok for use in the UK?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:10am
post #281 of 456

Karen that is gorgeous!
I am having trouble with my pieces breaking after they dry. I roll to a #3 on my pasta roller. Maybe too thin? I am using Wilton fondant mostly. Is easier and already colored.

Karen421 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:29am
post #282 of 456

Thank you! The bride and her family are really good friends and this and the grooms cakes were my gift to them. She loved it and just cried, and told me, that they couldn't have afforded any kind of a cake.

I don't use my pasta roller, but if I did it would be on 1, and then rolled just a bit thinner.. You really have to be able to see the lines through the fondant. I have used thicker, the key is in the drying and when to cut. But that just comes through trial and error, and believe me, there was a lot of error before I got the feel of it!

auntiecake Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #283 of 456

AnnBland did you know that Wilton has changed their recipe for fondant! It tastes much better. The only thing is make sure you get a fairly new shipment so you aren't getting the old fondant.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:37am
post #284 of 456

Wow. I just got done reading through most of this, it is so helpful! I used mine yesterday for the first time, and did straight gumpaste. It worked great, I was so worried that it wouldnt work.

Looking forward to trying it with MMF/Gumpaste mix now!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #285 of 456

Karen That cake is really beautiful. thumbs_up.gif

Salgor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Salgor Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:52pm
post #286 of 456

OMG, I am way behind the times. I thought the cricut was for cardmaking and diecutting. Not that I own one but I would be fascinated to see how it works in cake decorating. icon_smile.gif

S

lchristi27 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:17am
post #287 of 456

I read through this, not sure if there is a response or not to the MMF question. So last Night I rolled out some (directly on the mat), did it very very thin. Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. It worked like A CHARM!! I couldnt believe it. I added no tylose, or gumpaste to it at all. It was just perfect. AND our air conditioning isnt working (repair coming today) so it is about 85 degrees in our house right now, and it still worked great.

I was so hesitant about this machine after reading all the problems, hubby had enough of listening to me sit on the fence that he bought it for me for my bday. I can not WAIT to do more.
If your on the fence-run, go and do it. You will not be disappointed.

cyndiK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndiK Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #288 of 456

I absolutely LOVE my cricut. I found that after rolling the gumpaste out on the mat it is key to let it sit a few minutes before cutting....for me at least. I just made a beautiful monogram for a birthday with the fancy cakes cartridge. It's so fun to work with! thumbs_up.gif

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:49am
post #289 of 456

Im so confused. I want one of these very bad but do not know which to get. I do not have alot of money to spend but... Can i buy the express with deep cut housing and the MTC(what ever that is? ) i need to be able to get things off my computer.

or the more expensive cake? help, need it for wedding next weekend.

how often do you use yours?

iluvpeeks Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:39am
post #290 of 456

I hope I don't confuse you more, but yes, you can use make the cut with the cricut cake machine. I personally haven't purchased any of the programs yet, but I did purchase the deep cut housing and blade for my cricut cake machine, and I cut 100 cupcake wrappers for a christening, and at least another 50 or so "just because". I works great. I do know that if you buy the Expression, you have to remove these bands or something from the roller, because it gets in the way of the fondant, or gumpaste. I'd get the cake if I were you. I know Michaels either just had a sale on them, or is having a sale. I bet the price will start to drop soon anyway, because now Martha Stewart is connected with the cricut cake now, and even has her own cricut cake cartridges. Her machine, is all white, and the original is red.(I'm sure you know that) There were no changes or upgrades made to the white machine, they still work exactly the same. Sorry if I confused you more. Or I hope this helps. I love my machine.

Kathy

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:40am
post #291 of 456

I took the plunge i've got my cricut ordered tonight $227 ebay with 1 cartridge and free shipping. i only hope he gets here by tuesday. I have 200 cupcakes to make and she wants wedding silhouette on top. But i looked at it this way she is paying 300 for the cupcake and i get my machine.

iluvpeeks Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:53am
post #292 of 456

Did you get the cake or expression? Good for you. Good luck with it.

Karen421 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:41pm
post #293 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonya

Im so confused. I want one of these very bad but do not know which to get. I do not have alot of money to spend but... Can i buy the express with deep cut housing and the MTC(what ever that is? ) i need to be able to get things off my computer.

or the more expensive cake? help, need it for wedding next weekend.

how often do you use yours?

I love my cricut cake and wouldn't trade it, but before you make a decision read some of the other posts on the Silhouette. I didn't know it existed when I bought mine and like to research. Good Luck and have fun with whichever you choose! icon_lol.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=660350&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cricut&&start=0

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649289-cricut.html+silhouette

lchristi27 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #294 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

I hope I don't confuse you more, but yes, you can use make the cut with the cake machine. I personally haven't purchased any of the programs yet, but I did purchase the deep cut housing and blade for my cake machine, and I cut 100 cupcake wrappers for a christening, and at least another 50 or so "just because". I works great. I do know that if you buy the Expression, you have to remove these bands or something from the roller, because it gets in the way of the fondant, or gumpaste. I'd get the cake if I were you. I know Michaels either just had a sale on them, or is having a sale. I bet the price will start to drop soon anyway, because now Martha Stewart is connected with the cake now, and even has her own cake cartridges. Her machine, is all white, and the original is red.(I'm sure you know that) There were no changes or upgrades made to the white machine, they still work exactly the same. Sorry if I confused you more. Or I hope this helps. I love my machine.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,
For making the cupcake wrappers, did you have to buy a paper cutting mat for them? I know the paper mats are a little different than the cake ones that came with the cake cricut, someone told me they are tacky to hold the paper in place?
Thanks, I'm new at this but really want to make some cupcake wrappers!
Lisa

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #295 of 456

Watching for replies.............

iluvpeeks Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #296 of 456

Hi Lisa and Debster
Yes, I did have to purchase the sticky mat for the wrappers. I also had to purchase the deep blade housing, and blade. It worked great. The cartridge is called Cricut Lite Cupcake Wrappers, and currently it is sold exclusively at Walmart. I got mine on Walmart.com, as well as the housing and blade. I have some pics posted of the ones I made for my daughters birthday. I think if you have Make the cut you can get the patterns for the wrappers on there. On the cupcake forum, there's a thread about this also.
Kathy

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #297 of 456

I was just on the Cricut website seeing if I could get some tips with using chocolate in it and found this on fondant. Thought it might help?
Make sure your fondant is rolled out no thicker than 1/8 thick. It will cut best at 1/16 thick. Fondant also has stretchy, draping properties that make it ideal to cover a cake. This allows the fondant to smoothly cover the cake without cracking. These same properties make it difficult to cut. Instead of cutting, the blade will have more of a tendency to stretch the fondant rather than cut it. To overcome this, it is necessary to make the fondant firmer. This can be accomplished a few different waysfreezing, slightly drying it out, and adding gum powders.

Freezing works well in cool, dry climates. In humid, hot environments the fondant can become very gummy as soon as you remove it from the freezer.

Drying out the fondant a little can be time consuming and can cause a crust to form on the top. However, you can overcome the crusting effect by placing it back in a bag overnight. This will help equalize the moisture content throughout the fondant.

The best way to make the fondant easier to cut is by adding gum powders. There are many on the markettylose powder, Gum-tex, etc. You will need to experiment with the amount of gum powder you add to your fondant based on the type of powder and the fondant recipe you use. Knead in a little at a time until it has a more firm texture. Be aware that this will make your fondant dry out faster and you will not be able to use this new mixture to cover your cake. Roll out and use as normal

Brookbourque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookbourque Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #298 of 456

Hi, I have the Expressions, I changed the blade and houseing to the deep cut blade and houseing, I got the sticky off the mat, is there anything else I need to do?? Oh and I also took those rubber things off the roller. I've been trying to use it but my cuts arent coming out clean and not going all the way thru my fondant. I rolled it very thin. Can anyone tell me what setting should my blade be on, and what pressure and speed should I use. I also tried freezing, and adding tylos. I've tried Satine Ice and Wilton fondant. THANKS!!!!!

Karen421 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:53pm
post #299 of 456

I don't know how the expression works, but did you check to make sure the blade was clean. Sometimes little things "stick" to it and can cause it not to cut clean. As far as pressure and speed, I use mostly medium but that is with the circut cake. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

lchristi27 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #300 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Hi Lisa and Debster
Yes, I did have to purchase the sticky mat for the wrappers. I also had to purchase the deep blade housing, and blade. It worked great. The cartridge is called Lite Cupcake Wrappers, and currently it is sold exclusively at Walmart. I got mine on Walmart.com, as well as the housing and blade. I have some pics posted of the ones I made for my daughters birthday. I think if you have Make the cut you can get the patterns for the wrappers on there. On the cupcake forum, there's a thread about this also.
Kathy

I'm breaking down..gonna go buy this now..cant wait!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%