My Success With The Cricut Cake With Pic And Tips!

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:20am by Goreti

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #241 of 456

I think I finally did it! The key for me was to roll out with a pasta roller. I needed it to be a consistent thickness. I got it down to a #3 in three pieces because roller is only a 5" width. I used Fondarific with a little gum tex and after I rolled it out and layed it on the shortening spread mat I rolled it thinner with a pastry roller. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Sprinkled cornstarch on top of it as suggested by someone, and actually cut butterflies! They're too soft to take off the mat right now so hopefully after drying more they will come off in one piece. Maybe I need to use a little more gum tex. I hope this works!

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #242 of 456

Wow, I never heard of the corn starch on top but that sounds like a great idea...I will be giving that a shot for sure. As far as using the pasta machine that REALLY helps! Glad to see it is cutting nicely for you!
Suzi

Suzisweet Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #243 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Very nice, and I love the curly Qs! Can't wait to see the cake!

Here is the cake. It was fun to make and Jess loved it!
LL

GrandmaG Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #244 of 456

That's beautiful! Did you make the shadow part of the letters just a bit bigger then?

Suzisweet Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #245 of 456

Actually, I have "Make the cut" program on my computer and it has something called "shadow layer" you can basically give anything a shadow and it allows you to control the width of the shadow so if you want it to be like mine or you can increase and it will make a shadow that resembles the letters but is cut as one shape kind of like a cloud to put your letters on if that makes any sense. Great program well worth the 60.00 especially for a graphic artist gone cake maker!!
Suzi

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #246 of 456

That's it... I'm getting a Cricut, and Make the cut. I just love all the things I'm seeing!

GrandmaG Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #247 of 456

I kind of get it. If you are cutting one shape how do you get the black behind the colored letters when cutting then?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #248 of 456

Suzisweet; Your cake is Awesome!!!!!

Melvira, you will love the cricut cake!!! It actually saved me from a total cake disaster this weekend!! Practice is the key!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #249 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I kind of get it. If you are cutting one shape how do you get the black behind the colored letters when cutting then?

You cut it twice. You cut the "shadow layer" in one color, and the top layer in another color. I've never used MTC or SCAL, but the same principal applies.

For me, I've had GREAT success with Wilton fondant and Wilton gum-tex. I bought it because I wanted to practice with something cheap, and Wilton fit the bill. I mix Wilton fondant with a good bit of gum tex and roll it straight on to the mat (so I can see the lines through the fondant) I cut right away and get perfect cuts every time. I tried using SI mixed with Tylose, and it was a DISASTER- I would have given up immediately if that would have been my first experience!! Now I stick with my cheapo Wilton!!!

If you want to watch some good basic Cricut videos, check out mypinkstamper.com!! It's geared towards scrapbooking, but she has an "about your Cricut" series that teaches you about all of the functions and basics of the Expression (which is just like the Cake!). I learned more from that than anything else!!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #250 of 456

Beautiful job Suzisweet thumbs_up.gif

GrandmaG If you put the mat in the freezer or refrigerator for a few minutes you can lift the designs easier off the mat with a spatula.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #251 of 456

OK - by now you may have read the other post on the Cricut by Martha Stewart, or maybe not! Seems like MS and Cricut have teamed up to create her own brand of the machine and 3 cartridges which will be aired today (Monday) on HSN. The program is called Martha Stewart Crafts and I'm interested to see what she comes up with. I originally got an e-mail blast from MS which showed a cute cake with butterflies. Just thought all of you would like to know what else is going on in the world of the Cricut.

Oh yea - I still don't have the machine, I'm using my daughters old cricut and modifying it for gumpaste/fondant. I just can't justify $400 for a cookie cutter - sorry!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #252 of 456

Can you use the Cricut expression the same as the Cricut cake? I have a cricut (for several months now) and have only used it once or twice. I tried using fondant and gumpaste to no avail. Never used paper but I'm think i should start. Does anyone else use the expression for gumpaste or fondant and if so, how do you keep the wheels from making lines in the gumpaste/fondant?

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #253 of 456

I tried my Cake Cricut with succes last night! Yea me! I used Wilton Fondant (just playing around) Spread it on the mat about the thickness of a nickel. Froze and then immediately put into machine. Worked great!!!! I didn't try to take it off the mat because I was just playing, but I think it will be fine. Can't wait to try again.

Karen421 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #254 of 456

There are a lot of people that use the expression, (I only have the cake) I think they have to get the deep blade housing?

tannersmom Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:58pm
post #255 of 456

Thanks Karen. I read that somewhere, I think. I'll have to check that out.

tannersmom Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #256 of 456

http://www.make-the-cut.com
Is this the one that you guys are talking about? It's on sale for $58.36.

Karen421 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:15pm
post #257 of 456

There is a demo on you tube - if you haven't seen it:

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #258 of 456

You people always get me in trouble! Just got back from WalMart where I bought Cricut cartridges for Cupcake Wrappers and B is for Boy! Thanks alot!!!! icon_lol.gif

AnnBland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnBland Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #259 of 456

Kiley, the original cake you posted looks amazing. I recently got a cricut cake based on your posts, but I've had nothing but trouble with it icon_cry.gif

I was literally in tears from frustration with the machine because it's so much money to me and they won't let me return it because I opened it. I really WANT it to work but it just wont.

It seems if I roll out the fondant thin enough, and get reeeeeeally lucky, it will work alright, but can you please tell me.. how on EARTH did you get your fondant to cut so perfectly and so THICK?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #260 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnBland

Kiley, the original cake you posted looks amazing. I recently got a cake based on your posts, but I've had nothing but trouble with it icon_cry.gif

I was literally in tears from frustration with the machine because it's so much money to me and they won't let me return it because I opened it. I really WANT it to work but it just wont.

It seems if I roll out the fondant thin enough, and get reeeeeeally lucky, it will work alright, but can you please tell me.. how on EARTH did you get your fondant to cut so perfectly and so THICK?

What fondant are you using? Are you adding tylose to it and letting it sit for 15 min. or so before cutting? The machine works fine, you just have to use the right product, handle the right way.

Suzisweet Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #261 of 456

Ann,
I believe that Kiley says she uses Wilton products (fondant and gumpaste). What products are you using? What are you doing with it...rolling out to what thickness....freezer, no freezer, dry time, etc. I am hoping that you do not give up. With a little help from your cake friends here at CC we should be able to help you out! Give us some info and we'll start there.
Suzi icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

zoraya Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #262 of 456
Quote:

Kiley, the original cake you posted looks amazing. I recently got a cake based on your posts, but I've had nothing but trouble with it icon_cry.gif

It seems if I roll out the fondant thin enough, and get reeeeeeally lucky, it will work alright, but can you please tell me.. how on EARTH did you get
your fondant to cut so perfectly and so THICK?

I had the best luck with Wilton fondant with Tylose added. Roll it to 1/16", then roll it again on the cricut mat. Let sit for an hour to air dry and then cut. Roll the excess up and do again. The back side stays moist so you can reuse it. I found I could reuse it 3-4 times before it wasn't workable anymore. I tried the freezer method and it was a big gooey mess. Just experiment when you have the time and nothing that it acutally needs to be done for.

AnnBland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnBland Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #263 of 456

Thanks so much for your responses guys.

Suzisweet:
- I tried Wilton fondant (which I'd rather not use cause it smells and tastes horrible), I tried MMF, and I tried gum paste (which worked best, but still not nearly good enough to actually use).
- I rolled it out various different thicknesses, ranging from paper thin to just under a nickel.
- I did not use Tylose because I don't have any and don't know where to get any. Is the only way to order it?
- I tried corn starch.
- I tried letting it sit in the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting.
- I tried rolling it out and letting it dry overnight (tried this with fondant, gum paste, and a 50/50 mix).

tiggy2:
If tylose is the only way to have this work, then I will definitely order it. I just really need to know its going to work because I've already sunk so much money into this thing.

What happens is one of two things. It either bunches up, or I get extremely jagged edges.

I know some say it works fine, but honestly... no. It doesn't work fine. We shouldn't have to go through all these extra steps and rituals (that they don't even tell you in the instructions) to have it work. We shouldn't have to freeze it then rush to the machine and pray that it cuts the way you want. We shouldn't have to wait 12 hours every time we want to use the machine. Handling the right way should be handling it the way the manual says. Or even somewhat close to it. For hundreds of dollars, I feel like it should work a bit more easily, and it's nothing but a pain in the ass so far.

GrandmaG Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #264 of 456

I feel your frustrations. I was having the same. I thought I had rolled it out thin enough and it still wasn't working for me the way I wanted. When I got my pasta roller out and got it to an exact thickness then it worked for me. You can get those at Michael's or HL and use your coupon then they are only around $13.00. I mixed Wilton fondant with gum tex and only let it sit 15 minutes and it worked fine. I've heard that the Cricut gum paste works better also.
I try to get in the same mind set as making letters with my tappit cutters. It's kind of the same as far as using shortening on the mat and cornstarch on the top. Letting it dry some makes it easier to cut without sticking.

zoraya Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #265 of 456
Quote:

I know some say it works fine, but honestly... no. It doesn't work fine. We shouldn't have to go through all these extra steps and rituals (that they don't even tell you in the instructions) to have it work. We shouldn't have to freeze it then rush to the machine and pray that it cuts the way you want. We shouldn't have to wait 12 hours every time we want to use the machine. Handling the right way should be handling it the way the manual says. Or even somewhat close to it. For hundreds of dollars, I feel like it should work a bit more easily, and it's nothing but a pain in the ass so far.

Totally agree with you! They made it look so simple but it really isn't. Theres a huge learning curve with nothing to teach you. I've already reached the point where I'm finding its less time consuming to cut out what I need by hand. I just don't have the time to fool with it and hope it works everytime. I hope you have better luck, theres lots of people who have so pick their brains.

Karen421 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #266 of 456

I started with wilton and gumpaste to get the "feel" of it and rolled it to 1/16". Once you figure out the firmness needed to cut, you will be able to go a little thicker and use different mediums. I agree with the others, please don't give up! I love my cricut, it has become one of my favorite cake tools! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif If you have read the whole thread, you will see that you can even do cookie dough! (pg 10)

Suzisweet Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:42am
post #267 of 456

Ann,
I will agree with you on the fact that the ads were very misleading for the machine. As well as the directions...they do advertise the machine as if anyone can do it easy as 1,2,3 but it has taken practice and as I had said before there are times where it still gets hung up or jagged but after getting use to what settings work and rolling it with the pasta machine ect. the out come can be quite good.
I also agree that Wiltons stuff is icky but if you are only using that as decor and not actually covering your cake with it...maybe give it a try.
Tylose is a great additive and helps alot! I think it works very well in SI and fondex. You should be able to get it at most cake supply stores or order it online...it is worth it and goes a long way...you do not need much. Have not tried the cornstarch just yet but I do think that would help IF you use the tylose/fondant mixture.
Oh I also wanted to add if your whole piece of fondant/gumpaste is pulling you may have too much shortening on the mat...I found that out when I was in a rush. Use very little but seal your fondant to the mat by rolling it very well and make sure you do not have air bubbles or pockets. Keep at it...you will get it.

GrandmaG Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:44am
post #268 of 456

The Wilton doesn't taste all that bad any more but I did have better luck with the Fondarific and gum tex. It's more pliable and easier to work with. I'm anxious to try the Cricut gum paste next to see how well that works. I'm just too lazy to color it so it's been faster to use the already colored fondant. icon_smile.gif

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #269 of 456

How do you guys get your gumpaste to stick to the mat after letting it dry overnight. I rolled it out directly on a mat smeared with shortening. Let it dry overnight, but when morning came it was hard (as I expected it to be) and just slid around the mat. I added more Crisco, removed the Crisco nothing work. It ended up being to hard to work with and I tossed the gumpaste and cut it out by hand.

Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #270 of 456

Gumpaste is one of those mediums you don't have to let dry overnight, only about 20mins. You want it workable, but not hard. Wilton/gumpaste; gumpaste; fondx/gumpaste; fondx/tylose or Wilton/tylose - only require 15minutes to 2 hrs. Fondarfic with anything must be dried overnight. (I am in a very hot and humid climate - so drying times may be a little different for me)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%