Wedding Planner Asked For My Recipe- Should I?

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 3 May 2010 , 10:45pm by artscallion

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 39

I did a tasting with a couple & their wedding planner a while back. They all said it was the best tasting cake they had. Yay me, but now the wedding planner has emailed me and asked me if I could give her the recipe.
I don't know how I feel about giving it out & don't know how to say no without sounding rude or should I just suck it up and pass it along? Opinions please & thanks

38 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 39

NOPE!

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 39

No way!! Sounds fishy to me...what does she want to do, start making cakes herself too?? You can just politely say, "Sorry, but that's a trade secret. icon_smile.gif"

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 39

Sorry, no. It is a trade secret.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 39

Hi ~ NOPE!!! It sounds like she might make the cake for someone else. Just say you
don't devulge your recipes. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 39

I tell people if I went around handing out recipes I spent years perfecting there would be no sense in me having a business, now would there??

Generally they laugh and say, yeah I guess you're right.....but it was worth a try! lol

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 39

No. I don't think it would be rude to just say "No, I can't give out that secret recipe!"

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 39

NO!!! There's a thread going on now where the baker gave the recipe to a "friend" and now the friend's opening a bakery.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 39

Fat chance! There is, however, a wiiiiiiiiiiiiide variety for you to choose from online!

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 39

no way, i can hear the wedding planner now "do you have someone in mind to do your cake?" "well, I know of someone who makes the best cake you've ever tasted." THEN, your phone will ring with an order!!!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 39

Tell her no-she was RUDE for ASKING!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 39

even Bush keeps their bean recipe secret.

I say I would love to have Krispy Kreme's recipe...then, I think....nah...I just want the doughnuts...whole lot less trouble, eh?

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 39

Maybe you can reply with an email telling her that you are flattered that they loved your cake and just name some basic ingridients. Don't give them your recipe. icon_wink.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 39

Heck no! As a wedding planner she should know that recipes are what makes us unique in this business. That's whay people come to you vs baker B whom by the way she may be freiends with and conveninetly pass along the info to steal your clients. Just tactfully say all your recipes are custom for your business but you would be happy in working with her to design any future cakes she may need.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #15 of 39

NO - my scratch recipes are from my grandmother and passed down to me. I will only share them with my my future daughter-in-law, grandchildren, etc. whenever my son gets married when he's older. Other than that, I will not give out my family's recipes.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 39

NO. I agree with everyone else. Did you even really consider giving it to her? icon_eek.gif I certainly hope not.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:30pm
post #17 of 39

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I tell people if I went around handing out recipes I spent years perfecting there would be no sense in me having a business, now would there??

Generally they laugh and say, yeah I guess you're right.....but it was worth a try! lol

I agree, no way, but give it some humor like KHalstead

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 39

If it is a recipe you have tweeked and worked on protecting, then I would vote no.

If it is a recipe that anyone can go to MarthaStewart.com (or where ever and get) then I'd just direct them there.

I can understand the value of keeping it to yourself, espeically when you are in business, but at the same time I always find it interesting that people here are willing to share with complete strangers, but when asked face to face we freak out about it. Yes I know it is different when you think of that person in another state baking the recipe, and you feel it is no threat to your business, but this board does have thousands of people that visit it daily and you never know how many are in your area.

As its been said before, 5 people can make the same recipe and there is nothing out there that says they will all taste the same. Maybe she just wants it to bake at home, maybe she has some secret desire to bake cakes (didn't we all feel that way at one point?), who knows.

If you don't feel comfortable giving it to her, that is fine, make your reply to her short and simple and leave it at that. You can even make a joke, like the Bush's beans thing, to take the bite out of it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #20 of 39

Find out if she is wanting the actual recipe, or if she just needs to verify whether certain allergens or things the couple don't want to eat are in the cake. She may just need to verify that it's nut-free, for example, and asked the question poorly.

That being said, I don't even give my own mother my cake recipes.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If it is a recipe you have tweeked and worked on protecting, then I would vote no.

If it is a recipe that anyone can go to MarthaStewart.com (or where ever and get) then I'd just direct them there.

I can understand the value of keeping it to yourself, espeically when you are in business, but at the same time I always find it interesting that people here are willing to share with complete strangers, but when asked face to face we freak out about it. Yes I know it is different when you think of that person in another state baking the recipe, and you feel it is no threat to your business, but this board does have thousands of people that visit it daily and you never know how many are in your area.

As its been said before, 5 people can make the same recipe and there is nothing out there that says they will all taste the same. Maybe she just wants it to bake at home, maybe she has some secret desire to bake cakes (didn't we all feel that way at one point?), who knows.

If you don't feel comfortable giving it to her, that is fine, make your reply to her short and simple and leave it at that. You can even make a joke, like the Bush's beans thing, to take the bite out of it.

that's totally what I thought too.
but hey will you share it with us? lol

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:24am
post #22 of 39

dear xxx.

Thanks for asking for my recipe for the cake you and your clients fell in love with.

There's really nothing special about it -- it's just flour, some eggs, a little water and oil, and some flavorings all whipped up and baked with TLC by me.

It must be that TLC that makes it stand out for the rest.

Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to bottle TLC yet.

Again, thanks for asking! I look forward to creating my special TLC enhanced cakes for you and your clients .

VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #23 of 39

I wouldn't worry about being rude or polite. Someone said on here it was rude of her to ask and I totally agree. Just a simple short "No I don't give out my recipies" I would say "thank you so much I'm so glad you love my cake, but I don't give out my recipies to anyone." The TLC response is so true. I bake with tendor loving care, I put my heart into every cake I make and it warms my heart when the customer loves it. If you were to give out your recipies you would be sabotaging your business. I don't know if you've heard the story of the $250 dollars cookie recipe. That's another option lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:53am
post #24 of 39

When someone is rude to me, I generally dont' worry about sounding rude right back at them (shocking, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif ). And she was DEFINITELY rude to ask.

It's not personal .... it's business. And the answer is, "Hell no!"

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:28am
post #25 of 39

NO!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:46am
post #26 of 39

HELL ...TO THE NO...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #27 of 39

btw, on a wedding forum I'm part of, I read of planners complaining about people who ask them for their forms, seating chart programs, and pretty much all the paperwork they've created for their business "....because don't they realize this is my BUSINESS?"

Huh. Wonder why a planner would think a recipe from a baker would be different?

Things that make ya go "hmmmmmm!" icon_rolleyes.gif

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #28 of 39

Tell her thanks for the compliment and your glad she enjoyed the cake, but you make it a business practice not to share recipes. She'll understand if she is anything of a good business woman.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #29 of 39

Oh HELL no! There's a reason you write "trade secret" on recipes you send to the health department. BECAUSE THEY'RE SECRET.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #30 of 39

No no no - my response would be:

lol you are too funny requesting my recipe I thought for a
minute you were serious but realise it was just a compliment, you know us decorators we'd give you one of our kidneys before our recipes lol glad you liked the cake

or

Yea of course I will, my standard fee is $ 5million per recipe but since you asked so nicely you can have it for 6 and I'll even throw in my leaflet on manners and etiquette for free icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%