Satin Ice

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 4 May 2010 , 2:28am by glendaleAZ

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:09am
post #1 of 15

I used Satin Ice for the first time last night, and I wasn't too thrilled with it. It seemed to require a lot more kneading, and it still very dry. I used shortening to soften it, but I never was able to get it to the texture I can get the homemade fondant to. What gives? My usual fondant doesn't seem to crack or have as much elephant skin as this does.

14 replies
buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:45am
post #2 of 15

It's not you...it's the Satin Ice. I rarely use it b/c of that effect...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:46am
post #3 of 15

There have been many reports that SatinIce isn't acting "right." It has seemed inconsistent over the last 6 months or so. I don't know what's up. I've been using it for years and haven't experienced all the problems others have. I recently bought a bucket of Fondx and liked it a lot.

TPACakeGirl Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #4 of 15

Is Fondx better than Fonderific? I'm just getting tired of making fondant. It costs almost the same and takes up too much time.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #5 of 15

I usually buy fondx and works great....I wanted to save some $$$ and bought the 20 pounds of satin ice....and had so many problems. I had so many problems with it stretching, tearing and elephant skin. I would suggest just buying fondx. I have been hearing that satin ice has not been the same for a while...I dont know why icon_confused.gif

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 15

I had some trouble with Satin Ice a couple of weeks ago and I added some Glycerin to it and it worked like a charm. HTH

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:05am
post #7 of 15

SunshineSally - How much glycerin would you use per pound?

Two weeks ago I used Satin Ice on my sons wedding cakes (9 tiers). I had read on a couple different threads that something was up with their fondant. A lot cracking going on, but I had just purchased two huge tubs and I told myself how bad could it be. Well, not long after I had finished putting fondant on all 9 tiers, and then moved them off to another part of the kitchen (a lot more light), I noticed how bad the cracking was. I had to run to the cake supply store to purchase more fondant (Fondx this time), and then run home to tear off the old fondant, re-ice all 9 cakes, and then put fondant back on them again. Fondx is easy to work with and I didn't have any cracking.

TPACakeGirl Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 15

Well, I will be writing a scathing letter to the makers of Satin Ice. I started another cake and wanted to use up what I bought. This time it was worse. I must have ripped off the fondant 5 or 6 times due to severe tearing. I'm so angry. Now I'm just making my own. Does anyone know if www.fondantsource.com will refund me my money or should I just sell my unopened containers on eBay?

glendaleAZ Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 15

My local cake supply store has a No Return policy on that type of product, so Im out the $140.00, and I doubt Satin Ice will refund me. I guess it's going to be one of those lesson learned type of things.

For the past year Ive been making my own fondant, but thats getting to be such a hassle, so I recently went back to purchasing it. I gave Fondx a try and loved it, but it so expensive, so I went back to Satin Ice - HUGE MISTAKE.

I heard on another thread that someone tried Wilton fondant and was very suprised to find that it tasted a lot better. Ill be giving that a try very soon.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 15

I used Satin Ice on a topsy turvy cake yesterday and experienced problems with it. The fondant on the bottom tier cracked terribly, and I had to receover it. icon_cry.gif I was soooo disappointed!! I had to keep the cake refrigerated so that it wouldn't crack, especially in transport. Satin Ice used to work wonderfully for me, and it seems like something has changed. I won't be using it anymore and plan to try another brand, possibly FondX. I used Choco-Pan for my detail work and to cover a sculpted cake, and it worked great.

kellyjeanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyjeanne Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 15

I used Satin Ice a couple years ago for a friend's wedding cake and was nothing but disappointed. I recently asked a pastry chef friend and he suggested Massa Rolled fondant, its swiss made, so its what fondant is really supposed to be/taste like. It's amazing to work with and is super yummy (think insides of a cadbury cream egg). I love everything about it. These lovely folks sell it (http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/1-ENRO/Cake+Design.html) and its about $60 for 13 lbs. (premade). I would recommend it to everyone.
Hope that's helpful icon_smile.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 15

Recently I tried FondX. I LOVED the taste of it, but I found it really really sticky! It drove me crazy. So I've gone back to Satin Ice. I'm making two wedding cakes in the next couple weeks, and I'm praying that I won't have too many issues!

fondant2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondant2010 Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 15

I have used satin ice product for years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I have never had a bad experience with it, I had a few troubleshooting things as I am a amateur at this but i called them and the girls over there were very helpful and easy to work with. I think maybe you should give them another shot! I have tried fondex/wilton/fondariffic and they don't compare!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 15

glendaleAZ,

Sorry for the slow response but my baby was in the hospital.

I am still new at working with fondant but I was pleasantly surprised at how much the glycerin helped. I didn't measure the exact amount of Glycerin that I added. I was covering a 2 layer 9 inch round. I used the Wilton Glycerin and started with a 1/4 of a teaspoon and while kneading the fondant, if I noticed a "dry" spot then I would just dip my fingertip into the glycerin and smooth it over that particular spot and keep kneading. I had just ordered a 20 lb bucket of white and a couple of 5lb buckets of red and black so I have to make it work and I refuse to let this stuff beat me!

I had also noticed that after opening the bucket for the first time to get some out, the top of the remaining fondant in the bucket would get dry no matter how tight I twisted the bag closed. So, the last time I got out what I needed to use and then I rubbed a THIN layer of glycerin over the top of what was left in the bucket and when I went to use it again, I didn't have that dry issue. Everyone else has much more experience with this than I do but Glycerin is my best friend for now! HTH

glendaleAZ Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:28am
post #15 of 15

Thanks SunshineSally for the information.

No problem at all. Sorry to hear about your baby. Hope your baby is feeling better and out of the hospital.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%