Business Cards With No Business License?

Decorating By CakeMama625 Updated 2 May 2010 , 6:22am by akgirl10

CakeMama625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMama625 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:22am
post #1 of 22

My state says that I am not allowed to have a cake business from home unless I have a separate kitchen that is closed off to the family. I don't have one so I won't be getting a business license. I am making cakes for friends, family, and word of mouth. Does anyone know if it's ok to have business cards with my "business name" if I don't have a business license?

21 replies
afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:40am
post #2 of 22

I wouldn't think you would have a 'business name' if you don't have a business licence. Perhaps a better option is a card with just your name and contact info. I don't know if you want yourself set up as a business if you are not operating legally. Hope that helps.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:57am
post #3 of 22

Agree with afunk. It's harder to claim that you aren't a business if you have a business card with a business name.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:47am
post #4 of 22

Yeah, you're setting yourself up for serious trouble. I wouldn't put my family's future on the line just to sell a cake,.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:13am
post #5 of 22

yeah maybe just get a card with your info and give as requested.... good luck

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:28am
post #6 of 22

I agree with everyone else. If you are doing word of mouth advertising, then you probably shouldn't have anything in writing such as biz cards or a website just to play it safe. Sometimes, that is all you need. My SIL found a lady to do her wedding cake through word of mouth (a friend of a friend) and this woman had no biz cards or a website. But, she has a ton of business from referrals. Just a thought.

CakeMama625 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 22

Thank you. I made a facebook page with this "business name" so I guess I better delete it. icon_sad.gif Bummer.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 22

If its not legal to sell in your state then you are setting yourself up for trouble. No way I would try to market myself or my product just to be shut down or lose everything just because of a cake. You are taking a huge risk!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 22

this is a good question, I also have a facebook page for my cakes, but don't even suggest that I will sell them. I just have on the info that I am working on getting ready to have a bakery one of these days. Is that a no no too? I have only done some for family and friends.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

this is a good question, I also have a facebook page for my cakes, but don't even suggest that I will sell them. I just have on the info that I am working on getting ready to have a bakery one of these days. Is that a no no too? I have only done some for family and friends.

Is there anything else on the page? Pics of your kids, for example. If the ONLY thing on the page is cakes, then to me that implies that you are in the business of selling cakes.

CakeMama625 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 22

Good point Cathy. It's just cakes on this page. Guess it's time to hit the delete button.

patticake1951 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

Is there anything else on the page? Pics of your kids, for example. If the ONLY thing on the page is cakes, then to me that implies that you are in the business of selling cakes.

I don't have anything but my cakes and candies on it. but I don't have any prices or any thing like that. I have a personal FB page for my kids pics. Maybe I should go ahead and put some pics of my kids on it. Thanks.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 22

It is actually breaking the law to sell from an unlicensed kitchen in many areas. If your area says you must be licensed to have a business then that is your answer to any question about selling cake. It's Illegal period. You can't advertise in any form for an illegal business. Well actually some not so smart people have done so and have gotten in trouble- because it's illegal. No selling, no accepting money in exchange for cake no matter how small an amount as that constitutes a sale. A sale constitutes a business and you already know it is illegal to do so from your current kitchen situation. I wish you luck on getting the kitchen situation arranged to where it will be a legal business venture that you can peruse and get licensed. Until then it's illegal no matter how you look at it or think it can be justified.

patticake1951 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

It is actually breaking the law to sell from an unlicensed kitchen in many areas. If your area says you must be licensed to have a business then that is your answer to any question about selling cake. It's Illegal period. You can't advertise in any form for an illegal business. Well actually some not so smart people have done so and have gotten in trouble- because it's illegal. No selling, no accepting money in exchange for cake no matter how small an amount as that constitutes a sale. A sale constitutes a business and you already know it is illegal to do so from your current kitchen situation. I wish you luck on getting the kitchen situation arranged to where it will be a legal business venture that you can peruse and get licensed. Until then it's illegal no matter how you look at it or think it can be justified.

I don't sell any yet, I just want to have my pictures where my friends and family can see them until I get to where I can sell them. I am studying everything I can get my hands on and my dd is too.

sadsmile Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 22

My post was to the Op's indication

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMama625

so I won't be getting a business license. I am making cakes for friends, family, and word of mouth. Does anyone know if it's ok to have business cards with my "business name" if I don't have a business license?

patticake1951 if you can afford to buy supplies and make cakes and are happy only to give them away then more power to you. That's really nice.
I have seen some incredible cake decorators that do just that and have it noted on their page that they do now sell cakes and it is only a hobby and the page is for the purpose of sharing the pictures.

patticake1951 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 22

yeah, It gives me some practice until I can do it full time.
I figured you were talking to OP but thought I would throw that out there too. I did go in and put some of my son's pictures on there.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #17 of 22

My card has my website on the front and my first name and phone number on the back. I never claim to be a business, but this way if people still want my contact info I can give it to them in a professional manner. You may consider getting a card that says something like "From the kitchen of..." or "Baked by...." etc.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 22

Yep, it's a bummer, huh? We're selling our house this summer, and hoping to buy one where I can convert the garage into a kitchen.

sadsmile Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #19 of 22

Check with your zoning first because that can be an issue. Many cities won't allow a business in certain areas of planned development.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #20 of 22

I'm no help but wanted to say hi to the AK girls here...my bro and his wife moved up there last summer and I can't wait to go visit them someday.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:32am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm no help but wanted to say hi to the AK girls here...my bro and his wife moved up there last summer and I can't wait to go visit them someday.

My son and his family have lived in Alaska for 9 years. He works for the University of Alaska in Fairbanks. I visited for the first time a couple of years ago and can't wait to go back. It is just beautiful there. It took me awhile to adjust to 24 hours of daylight. I didn't sleep much the first week that I was there icon_lol.gif

I'm planning to go in August. I'd love to go in the winter but I'm afraid to fly out of there in 60 below weather. Something about deicing the plane makes me nervous icon_lol.gif I'm a nervous flyer anyway even with perfect conditions.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:22am
post #22 of 22

Fairbanks is nice in the summer, but the winters are horrible! Anchorage is not near as cold.

I will check zoning laws, but luckily (?) there aren't a ton of "planned communities" around here. None that I can afford anyway, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%