Need Some Advice, Please!!

Baking By Gkfurrow Updated 3 May 2010 , 3:47pm by kake4me2

Gkfurrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkfurrow Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 9

Hi there!! My name is Glenda and I live in Colorado. I've taken three of Wilton's cake decorating classes, but I've become VERY frustrated about how my cakes turn out.

I use cake mixes, mostly Duncan Hines, but Pillsbury and Betty Crocker occasionally. When called for, I follow the "high altitude" directions. I follow the directions to the letter. When I make a character cake, the Dimensions cupcake (the big one), and anything larger than 8", my cakes don't get done in the middle. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif If I leave them in the oven long enough for the centers to get done, the outside edges are over-done. This has happened time after time, and sure does take the joy out of making cakes to decorate. birthday.gif

I would appreciate ANY advice or suggestions you have. I LOVE decorating and sure don't want the quality of my cakes to keep me from something I love to do.

Thank you in advance. I am so anxious to hear from you!!

Glenda

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #2 of 9

Bake at a lower temp (I bake my cakes at 325).
Use the bake-even strips.
Use a flower nail in the center.

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #3 of 9

If you can't buy the bake strips to put on the outside of the pans, you can use an old towel and cut it in to strips and then wet it thoroughly. Then pin it around the out side of the pan. It works, but not as well as the bake strips.

Gkfurrow Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:05am
post #4 of 9

I have the Wilton strips and do use them when I make round cakes. Can you use them on the character pans?

Thanks!!

Glenda

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #5 of 9

Anything larger than an 8" cake, I use a flower nail in the pan. PRTERRELL mentioned it above . You take 1 (or more for larger pans) flower nail and coat it the same way you prepare the pan. Place it in the middle of the pan with the pointy side up. Pour in your batter. You may have to slide it back to the center. After the cake is done, cooled and turned out of the pan you can just pull out the nail.

I also bake at about 325 for a little longer.

Don't give up it just takes practice and adjusting to how your oven works.

cid67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cid67 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:34am
post #6 of 9

Hi Glenda,

I also live in CO (8500 ft.) and feel your frustration! I've tried various altitude adjustments, researched and made calls to ask for help, but without success-just alot of cakes in the trash (my hubby finds it amusing-hmmm...)

Anyway, as Glenda said, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you a bunch!

Gkfurrow Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:07am
post #7 of 9

I appreciate everyone that took time to come to my rescue. I am going to use this advice the next time I bake a cake. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Thank you again!

Glenda
P.S. Welcome to Cake Central, Cid. I live in Colorado Springs. Do you live close by?

cid67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cid67 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 9

Hi Glenda,

I sent you a PM but, I'm not very good with computers so I was wondering if you received it?

Cid

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Bake at a lower temp (I bake my cakes at 325).
Use the bake-even strips.
Use a flower nail in the center.

I second this

Also try using Betty Crocker cake mix. I get the most consistant results with this, even when I lived in High Altitude (6600ft)

Good Luck, and don't give up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%