Newbie - Best Way To Transfer A Character To A Cake?

Decorating By cakesbysammie Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm by cakesbysammie

cakesbysammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbysammie Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, newbie here! I need to do a bob the builder cake & am a bit confused as to the best way to transfer the character onto the cake.

Basically his is what Im trying to achieve (not the whole cake - just the bob character)

Any ideas on how she's acheived this?? I can't work out if its painted onto a fondant cutout or what?
Would tracing onto rice paper with an edible pen, then piping the edges and flood filling it with royal icing work??!

Any advice on how to achieve this or similar greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

Ps: What is piping gel? Ive not heard of that before here in the uk! Is it like royal icing?!?!

5 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 6

This looks like it is painted on very thickly cut fondant. I don't think you can get this very neat look in any other way. Maybe someone else has another idea though.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 6

It looks like it's fondant, could be a printed icing sheet placed on a fondant cut out. Color flow would also work.
Piping gel is the stuff you often see on cakes usually used for writing and accents. It looks very shiny and is a very clear color, jelly looking.
check

This is an American brand but I'm sure you'll find gel in the UK.

cakesbysammie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:01am
post #4 of 6

Thanks, I'm thinking it's painted onto fondant too. Have been trying to figure this out for so long but it just seems impossible. I tried painting onto fondant but the colours come out so dark!!

PS: Kathy I love love your cow cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

aussiecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussiecook Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:18am
post #5 of 6

I have made a bob the builder. I blew up a picture of Bob the Builder, A3 size. Cut it out like a pattern. Then coloured fondant all different colours., rolled out fondant, placed pattern on, and cut out. placed this on cake. took awhile, just drew details in with icing gel. but worked out ok. since then i purchased a cake imaging scanner.

cakesbysammie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! This is what I did for a peppa pig cake but the bob character has so much more details and colours! icon_rolleyes.gif I guess I have to accept it's gonna be a fiddly one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%