Converting A Mix Cake Back To Scratch

Baking By CountryCakery4 Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm by Rylan

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 5

I have a recipe for a Cinnamon Swirl Cake that looks really good, but I'd like to use Toba Garret's Moist Yellow Cake and modify that instead of a boxed mix. Ingredients in the original recipe are as follows:

1 Box yellow cake mix
1 sm. box instant vanilla pudding
1 C water
1C veg. oil
4 Eggs
2Tbsp Cinnamon
6Tbsp. Br. Sugar

Now I know the box mix takes some water, oil and eggs, I just can't remember how much. I still want to try adding the vanilla pudding and so would expect to need some additional moisture. Probably in the form of some of the eggs and maybe some of the oil and water too.

The crux of the question: Does anyone know how much is left over after you account for the needs of the the box mix? I could probably add this with the pudding to the scratch recipe and have similar results. TIA!

4 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 5

Depends on the brand of the box mix, they vary.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 5

Pudding mix shouldn't be added to scratch recipes as it results in a gummy cake. I would just use a regular vanilla butter cake recipe and add in the cinnamon and brown sugar.

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for that advice. I probably would have made that mistake! I decided this time since I'm a bit time crunched I'll make the recipe as is, but I definitely prefer scratch (no I'm not trying to open the debate!) so I'll try it differently next time when I have more time to plan. Have a great day!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Pudding mix shouldn't be added to scratch recipes as it results in a gummy cake.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I totally never knew.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%