Do Any Of You Hand Out Business Cards With Orders?

Business By Dreme Updated 5 May 2010 , 2:19am by cakemom42

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 21

Does anybody do this? So far I have not. Haven't thought about it before.

20 replies
janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 21

Yes, every time unless it is for a good friend who really wouldn't need it.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 21

I get yelled at by people for NOT giving my business cards out with my cake orders - my customers call/email me later saying they really wish I had given them some for their friends that were asking about the cake.

The only reason I didn't give out the cards is because I forget to slip them in the box! I think it is important to put some in the box under the cake board - your customer can decide to hand them out or not

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 21

I just started (with an order delivered this morning) taping a few to the front of the box. Before I started doing this a couple of customers actually asked me for business cards. This customer said she would give them out to people!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 21

i put one on the box and one under the cake board. but customers always take 4-5 cards from my pile when they pick up their cake anyway.

MomMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMiller Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 21

I give them out with cake, I give them with my tip at restaurants, I give them to anyone that will take them. icon_biggrin.gif

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 21

I give them out with every payment and every pickup or delivery!! I sometimes give them out at the craft stores, leave them at registers, even when i go to sonic I place them next to the button you push to place your order!! and ive gotten calls from ppl saying they found my cards and were so excited and ordered!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 21

I attach them to cake boxes and have business card magnets as well that I always put in an envelope with the invoice for first time customers (so they can keep my # handy lol)

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I attach them to cake boxes and have business card magnets as well that I always put in an envelope with the invoice for first time customers (so they can keep my # handy lol)

Great idea about the magnets!!!

I hand out cards to everyone & anyone!!!

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 21

yep- always toss a couple in the bottom of the box. Never thought of the Sonic thing and the tip thing. Not sure the Sonic by me would be my target clientele, though icon_smile.gif

MamaScooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaScooby Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 21

I always give my customers a thank you card personally written by me, thanking them for the honor of letting me make their dream a reality. Inside is their bill and a couple of my business cards for both my cakes and jewelry. I started doing cause I also make jewelry and my customer felt special when they received that little touch of personal thanks from me so I started doing the same with my cake customers. That little gesture made a big difference in my clientele.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaScooby

I always give my customers a thank you card personally written by me, thanking them for the honor of letting me make their dream a reality. Inside is their bill and a couple of my business cards for both my cakes and jewelry. I started doing cause I also make jewelry and my customer felt special when they received that little touch of personal thanks from me so I started doing the same with my cake customers. That little gesture made a big difference in my clientele.

Great idea, MamaScooby! May I borrow it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #13 of 21

Yep I always put a small stack of cards in the box (bigger or smaller depending on how many guests they expect) and a "Thank You" magnet as well, plus one taped on the box.

Often they will tell me they handed out all the cards....or rather that people took them all!

SweetSullivans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSullivans Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 21

I am still just a hobby baker but i help a friend who is a caterer. She always comments that she thinks it is tacky when a cake designer drops off the cake at a wedding and leaves her business cards on the table. At one wedding I noticed the bakery had very elegant ribbon imprinted with their name on it and had inserted it between the cake plate and the bottom layer of cake. Just about 3 inches long with their name in gold and angled at the end sticking out between the silver cake plate and the actual cake. It looked very nice and was a sutle way of letting people who walked up know who had done the cake.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 21

Always!! Cards are cheap for the return. I do about half as many as the order will serve unless it's huge. Either way no less than 12. They always tell me they ran out and had to write it down.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 21

I also do the magnets, people love them and I can do them cheap with the business card size magnet from Staples with sticky on one side. Just peel off paper and position your business card on magnet. A box of magnets is cheap and the whole box can be done in a sitting.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 21

I always send them with party cakes. I do NOT, however, do that when I deliver wedding cakes. It somehow seems very tacky to me to put your advertisement next to the wedding cake. I give them to the caterers or venue, but I don't put them on the table.

Satisfied brides do a very good job of promoting a good cake. They're always very invested in all the choices they made for their wedding, and they like it as much as I do when people rave about the cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 21

Yup..With each cake that goes out I tape 2 or 3 business cards inside the box.I get alot of referrals that way and new customers.

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:01pm
post #19 of 21

I always staple a card to the front of the cakebox and slip a flyer/leaflet under the cake board. Some people ask for a couple to hand out but they are usually friends or friends of people who know me and work in companies with lots of people.

I've never left any on the table with a wedding cake, I wouldn't imagine the hotels would allow it anyway over here. But when you talk about advertising on the wedding cake being tacky. Look at Slyvia Weinstock she puts her trademark on the cakeboard of all her cakes - can't accuse her of tacky-ness, lol...

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #20 of 21

Yes, I attach them to the box, but not wedding cakes. When an engaged couple comes for a tasting I hand them a folder with info and several cards, etc. attached to the front. It's worked very well for referrals.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #21 of 21

For regualr cakes I attach them to the box w/double sticking tape, easier to peel off.

For wedding cakes I leave a rubbermaid tub under the cake table for the cake mechanics return.... inside there I put plenty of cards so anyone can grab them :0)

PS: I do magnets too but give these out at the time of ordering so the client has them for their fridge. & at one point I did travel mugs as freebies... they went very well & were found all over the Pentagon while we were stationed there :0) Very nice when sitting on someone's desk, all can see!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%