Wood Grain Effect On Fondant...

Decorating By Spills Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm by Spills

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 5

I'm sure there's probably some threads about this already, but I can't seem to search very well for them. I'm going to attempt a pirate ship in July, and would very much like for the sides and floor of the ship to have a wood grain look to it, I'll probably have something like 1" x 2" planks covering the sides, and possibly the same for the floor, still deciding.

I've tried looking for some impression mats or rolling pins to this effect, and I've found a few mats that seem to be too large scale for what I would like, and in all seriousness...I really would NOT like to do this effect by hand! icon_cry.gif

Any help would be great...and even better if the supplier shipped to Canada. Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 5
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

Honestly, I dont have an impressionmat, I just run my pointy stick that is in my fondant working tools along in the direction I need. you could also use a skishkabob skewer. and I use both brown and black to paint the fondant with.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

I just used the wilton fondant cutter (the plastic one with 3 different wheels) and made sure not to go all the way thru the fondant planks that I cut:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1478885

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks FlourPots, I don't think I need all those mats, but I did find a different wood grain mold that I think will work well.

abra526 - I love that cake - and your planks do look wonderful, but I'm doing that on a much smaller scale, I can see how using that wheel would be good for bigger items. Thanks for the idea for future use!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%