Buying Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By redcpa1022 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm by CaseyNic

redcpa1022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redcpa1022 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 7

Where can I buy modeling chocolate? I've never seen it in a store or anywhere online.

6 replies
heina2420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heina2420 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 7

You can buy modeling chocolate online at www. fondantsource.com . I haven't bought it from there yet, so I don't know brands or prices, but they are good to work with.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 7

Why don't you make your own? Its only two ingredients - chocolate and corn syrup

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know if you've considered making it, but its SUPER easy (even I can do it icon_lol.gif ) just melt down candy melts in the microwave (I've been using wilton) 24oz white or colored, or 18oz dark chocolate then mix with 2/3 C. of Karo syrup. Spread it on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and pop it in the fridge overnight (I've cheated and used some after a few hours and it was fine) and you're all set! Seriously, the whole thing takes maybe 10 minutes. HTH.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 7

Or, you can go super high-end and make it with really good chocolate. I make it with Valrhona dark chocolate and corn syrup -- it tastes the way Tootsie Rolls would taste in heaven.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 7

Is that a common recipe? 18 oz. dark chocolate to 2/3 cup corn syrup? And do you just mix it and let it sit? Can it be rolled to cover a cake?

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 7

I personally have never covered a cake in it, but I definitely remember someone here on CC saying she did... It was actually the same person I got that recipe from. Can't for the life of me remember her name though icon_redface.gif The florida gator cake in my pics was done by rolling the modeling chocolate out and cutting the pieces out like a puzzle sort of. It seems to hold up pretty well even when its rolled thin (especially if you pop in the fridge for a bit after rolling it).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%