Kneading Fondant???

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm by tiggerjo

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #1 of 7

If mmf is homemade, must it be kneaded by hand or can you do than in the KA mixer like I do bread dough? dh says it will burn up my KA.

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:43am
post #2 of 7

You should knead by hand. The only time I knead in the mixer is when it's being made icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:45am
post #3 of 7

There are a lot of folks who use the dough hook and knead it that way. It would be no stiffer than bread dough. Me personally, I knead it by hand - I just hate hearing my KA strain! And I know the fondant is just the way it should be by the way it looks/feels when I knead it.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 7

Dump 1/2 (or more) of your ps in your KA bowl, then add the mm mix. Once all the ps is incorporated than kneed in the rest by hand. This won't strain you KA because the mixture isn't very stiff at that point. Much easier though to do the first part in the mixer than by hand. HTH thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 7

After reading your post again I'm a little confused. icon_lol.gif If you're asking if you let your mixer knead the fondant while it's being made then YES. If you're asking if you use your mixer to knead your fondant after it's made and you're kneading to cover a cake I'd say no. Like Loucinda said that way you can feel if it's "right". Do I make any sense now? icon_lol.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

After reading your post again I'm a little confused. icon_lol.gif If you're asking if you let your mixer knead the fondant while it's being made then YES. If you're asking if you use your mixer to knead your fondant after it's made and you're kneading to cover a cake I'd say no. Like Loucinda said that way you can feel if it's "right". Do I make any sense now? icon_lol.gif

ditto icon_cool.gif

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 7

thanks to all. yes I meant while making it, not when I am getting ready to roll it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%