Grey Fondant Turning Slightly Blue

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 11:21am by shanney54

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone! I'm making my boyfriend an Alabama stadium cake for his bday next month. I decided to go ahead and make some stuff ahead of time so I won't be crazy when the time gets here. So about two nights ago I went ahead and made Big Al, the elephant, and pretty much had no problem. I put him in a big plastic bowl and put some saran wrap over the top. Well, last night I went to go check on him, and he looks kinda sick! He was a light grey, but now he kinda has a funky blue tint to him. What can I do? I used Wilton fondant and some black Wilton coloring. I wanted to get some Satin Ice fondant and Americolor coloring, but they don't have any of that here. I'm going to order some of both tonight, should I just redo it with the new stuff? Thanks for any help!!!

4 replies
candycakes2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes2010 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 5

Did you search for Satin Ice online. I know www.fondantsource.com in FL carries it, don't know about your area. They have great colors and a mixing chart on their website that is very helpful. Good lUck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 5

When you mix the 3 primary colors (red, blue, yellow), you get black (or grey). However, this only happens if the primary colors we are using are PURE colors (and pure colors are usually used in a laboratory environment .... we rarely have access to PURE colors).

So when we mix the 3 primaries, we may have a stronger blue or a stronger green, which is why you read on here about black icing turning green-ish.

Since Red Dye #2 was removed from the market in the 70's, red coloring is not stable and tends to fade. If the yellow is weak, and if the red has faded, then that leaves blue as the dominant color in the grey color mixture.

If what you have is blue, then you are short on red and yellow.

Take a small portion of what you have and add some red/yellow (also known as orange) and see what happens. It may work ... it may confirm that you have to start over.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 5

Indydebi....thanks for the great explanation

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:21am
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I've ordered some Satin Ice and some Americolor from GSA. I'm gonna give it another go, maybe this one will be even better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%