Preval Spray Safety

Decorating By Charmed Updated 25 May 2010 , 12:07pm by Wrigley

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 5

couple of weeks ago I saw this preval sprayer on amazing wedding cakes and posted here about the sprayer and some people said they use it on for airbrushing and I emailed the Preval and asked if it is safe for spraying food color on cakes and this is what they replied:
Preval cannot be used on food. It contains Dimethyl Ether and is not FDA approved.
So I am kind of confused if it is not food safe how come many cake decorators using it? icon_confused.gif

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #2 of 5

Because they're rationalizing that it's OK, they haven't thought about it, they haven't asked about it, or they just don't care.......................

This issue has been brought up for several years here on CC. I've posted dozens of times that the propellants aren't food safe, that they mix with the material being sprayed on the cake, etc. , but still found those who would come back in and argue that "it wasn't that much".

I'm glad that you took the time to ask the question and to post the info.

Thanks,
Rae

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #3 of 5

thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #4 of 5

Wow, for as long as I've been on CC and for all of the "is it safe to use on food" issues I've read here, I actually missed that one. Thanks for the question and response. I am sure glad I never just decided to give it a try!

Wrigley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wrigley Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 5

The propellants are DME / Propane and Isobutane - Which is similar to what is in Hair Spray. The manufacturer has never tried to get FDA approved as it is marketed towards other industries. I know that there is less than 2oz of propellant which will atomize around 16 ounces of any liquid and when in use, the propellant immediately evaporates so I doubt any of it is actually mixed in with the cake.

Although not recommended to use with preparing foods, make sure the area is well ventilated.

Wrigley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%