Where Can I Find Cake Cutters?

Decorating By SusanSayl Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm by DianeLM

SusanSayl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanSayl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 7

On an episode of Amazing Wedding Cakes (season 2 episode 1) on WEtv, the girls at Cake Alchemy used what I am calling a cake cutter (I don't know if that is what it is actually called or not) to cut out a round cake from a sheet cake. They used it just like a giant cookie cutter, they had a very large sheet cake and cut round cakes from it. I am very interested in finding some of these, they would be perfect for having perfectly sized and shaped cake layers. I have searched online and cannot find anything. If anyone knows what I am talking about and knows where I can get them, please let me know. Thanks!

6 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 7

They are called cake rings... they come in all shapes and sizes and are used for the purpose you described, as well as for stacking and filling of multiple layers of cakes, molding mousse cakes, charlottes, and frozen desserts. Just google and you'll find them (or any decent baking/restaurant/cake supply should carry them). I consider them a kitchen essential!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 7

They're called cake rings http://cooksdream.com/store/bk.html
Some people use them instead of dowels to support tiered cakes.

They're kind of pricey, especially if you want a variety of sizes.

They'd be of no use to me since my ovens aren't big enough to make such a large sheet to cut from. For small cakes, I'd rather just fill up the ovens with pans.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

The last time I needed to make mini cakes, I saved a bunch of cans (soup, beans, #10 - all sizes) from the restaurant. This way I had a variety of sizes to choose from. I took both ends off and cleaned it really well. I worked great and was free!

SusanSayl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanSayl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you both oh so very much!! You both helped me alot. icon_biggrin.gif

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 7

DianeLM- How would you use the cake rings instead of dowels?? they don't offer any internal support? I thought they were just for getting perfect edges.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

DianeLM- How would you use the cake rings instead of dowels?? they don't offer any internal support? I thought they were just for getting perfect edges.

Let's say you're going to stack an 8-inch on top of a 10-inch.

You'd stick a 6 or 7 inch cake ring into the 10-inch cake. Place the 8-inch cake on top of the cake ring.

I imagine you'd need very precise cake heights for this technique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%