Painting Buttercream?

Decorating By Krumbs Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 4:13pm by APieceofCake75

Krumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krumbs Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 6

i need to get gold colored designs on the side of a butter cream frosted cake. I tried to brush on some luster dust, but it want stick properly and doesn't cover either. What technique is there?? help please

5 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 6

What kind of designs? Can you cut out fondant shapes and paint those instead of painting the buttercream?

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 6

I was just about to post a similar question! I want to paint some flowers on a buttercream cake for mother's day (my mom specficially requested no fondant). Of course a paint brush will just dig in to a buttercream iced cake. I was wondering if putting it in the fridge so the icing hardens up a bit and then using gel pastes mixed with a little vanilla would work? Or thinned down buttercream? That could work for you too. You could thin out some gold colored buttercream and add gold luster dust to it and paint it on. Just thinking out loud as I really have no clue what I'm talking about icon_biggrin.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 6

You could also do brushed embroidery bc on top of buttercream. Yes, stick in the fridge 5-10 mins to harden it up first.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 6

If you dry brush the dust it will have a sutble effect. If you want a dark color mix the dust with lemon extract or vodka/everclear and paint it on.

You can paint on crusting buttercream you just have to have a light touch.

You can also look in to the liquid airbrush colors, they do make gold ones now and use those to paint on the designs.

APieceofCake75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake75 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%