Home Baking In Ny....not Nyc

Business By Peachez Updated 14 May 2010 , 3:02am by rosiecast

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 25

Hey there everyone. I was just curious if there is anyone who has started a home based bakery in New York...not NYC. It would be a dream to be able to work from my home and this is something that I absolutely LOVE! I'm at a complete loss as to where to start.

Thanks so much for any light you can shed on this for me.
Jenn

24 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 25

Did you check the sticky at the top of this Forum?

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 25

New York varies by county so call your department of agriculture and see what the deal is for your area. HTH

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 25

I'm not sure about Orleans county... I'm in Erie and can, but need to put a separate kitchen in my basement icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 25

Hi, not sure about rochester. However I have this phone #, it's for Newburgh but when you call they give you the # for the Syracuse office. HTH 845-220-2047 ext. 11

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks all SO much! I've made some calls but no one seems to be able to answer my questions. I'll try what you have all mentioned and read the sticky at the top of the forum...which I should have read before posting, I'm sure. Sorry about that. icon_redface.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 25

Peachez-
Good luck getting an answer. I have been trying for weeks.

Here is what I think I have learned so far and I'm not too sure if it would still be true if you were to actually get through to someone.

Home bakeries are "supposed" to be dealt with through the Dept. of Agriculture. I called the Rochester office and got a voice mail. I called the Buffalo office who told me they don't actually have anybody at the Rochester office. No, he could not help me with my question about a home based business in Rochester. But he said that it was going to be transferred over to the Department of Health.

So I call the department of health. This lady tells me that transferring is going to be done, but it is news to her that others are saying that and she does not know when. I proceed to ask her about the requirements for having a home baking business and how to get my kitchen inspected for NY State. She tells me that you need a separate commercial kitchen installed in your home. Wow, was that a shocker. I don't know if this is going to be the new law or if this is the way it was. It was interesting that someone who just got the responsibility transferred to them knew the answer. I sure do wish that someone somewhere would put this in writing on a website somewhere. Maybe I need to check the Monroe County website.

Anyway I know of someone who bakes from her home. She has not gone through anything to make this happen yet. I would not want to be her. She has a "friend" who does home based baking and her "friend" told her she didn't need to have a separate kitchen, that she has gone through the process and they barely come out to see her. I don't know if her "friend" lives in Monroe county, a neighboring county, or another state for that matter seeing how it is a "friend" that doesn't have a name. I have another friend who knows this person better than me. She couldn't figure out why she reacted the way she did and doubts there is a "friend".

I suspect there is some truth to what I found. Do you know Sugar Mountain Bake Shoppe? They used to bake out of their home. The story goes that they were going to stop, just stop, but La Tee Da asked them not to and offered their kitchen to keep them going. I think what happened is that they either didn't pass inspection or never went through the process in the first place. They used to sell at the Farmer's Market so had a wide exposure. I think they got caught doing it not to code - either without the inspection or not a separate kitchen. And because they were a supplier to LTD that they were going to lose because they didn't have inspection or because they were friends, LTD offered them a certified NY commercial kitchen to bake in and they now sell their goods at LTD at night. So it is kind of like a job sharing restaurant kind of thing. Kind of cool. My story is not gospel, just my hunch based on what I found out. I could be 1,000% wrong here and let's just say I am until such time SMBS tells the story.

Good luck. I am looking for the same thing, so I guess we will be competitors! I have a ways to go yet. I am still testing recipes until I reach perfection, which at the rate I'm going will be....I can't even think of which never description to use. icon_biggrin.gif I am just too much of a perfectionist.

Actually my dream is a little bake shop and not in my home. I was hoping to start in my home to raise seed money, but now I am going to have to rethink that.

Keep us posted if you find anything out concrete and I'll be sure to post here too.

LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachez

Thanks all SO much! I've made some calls but no one seems to be able to answer my questions. I'll try what you have all mentioned and read the sticky at the top of the forum...which I should have read before posting, I'm sure. Sorry about that. icon_redface.gif

Oh and I think the sticky at the top (which I read all of) doesn't specifically answer your question. It just says that NY varies by county. And there is not specific answer for Monroe.

LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I'm not sure about Orleans county... I'm in Erie and can, but need to put a separate kitchen in my basement icon_smile.gif

Sorry, I don't know how I missed this reply.
And Rochester is in Monroe county. Erie county - is that Buffalo?

This is a bummer. I'm wondering how others are doing it then? Sounds like a lot of houses have two kitchens. Interesting.

rosiecast Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 25

yep, Erie's Buffalo.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 25

I'm pretty sure you need a separate kitchen. An acquaintance of mine purchases cookies from Upper Crust in Penfield. http://uppercrustcakes.com/ She told me that the lady has a second kitchen on her porch. Someone from my church has a catering business and she told me that she has to have a separate kitchen, though she is in Williamson.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 25

http://www.monroecounty.gov/eh-food.php

You have probably already seen this webpage, but if not, check it out. It has the application as well as a lot of other links. At the least, you can get the phone number.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 25

Perhaps you could call one of the programs at MCC or RIT. Maybe they would have some info.
http://articles.directorym.com/Cooking_School_Rochester_NY-r479-Rochester_NY.html

This doesn't help you in Rochester, but I'm posting for other NYS people. Here is a listing of shared kitchens.
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/necfe/CoPackerKitchen/ny.html

foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:

Sorry, I don't know how I missed this reply.
And Rochester is in Monroe county. Erie county - is that Buffalo?

This is a bummer. I'm wondering how others are doing it then? Sounds like a lot of houses have two kitchens. Interesting.

dunce.gif you'd think I'd remember that! My sister lives in Roch! Sorry! And yes, I'm near Buffalo icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

http://www.monroecounty.gov/eh-food.php

You have probably already seen this webpage, but if not, check it out. It has the application as well as a lot of other links. At the least, you can get the phone number.

Barbaranne, thanks for the link. No I have not seen it. I just spent some time looking through all the requirements, applications, fees, permits, required classes, etc. I have a lot to think about.
Thanks.

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 25

Are the rules completely different for NYS versus NYC and the five boros???? Cuz I have yet to get a clear answer - dealing with any bureaucratic office in NYC means getting 10 different answers if you actually get through to someone...usually you just get transferred to different departments and no one knows what they are talking about! Any one out there know the rules for NYC or the outlying boroughs as well??? Can I make a separate kitchen in the basement and have a business?? And what is the difference between a separate kitchen and a commercial kitchen - if one want to make a home-based business? Is it the location of the kitchen or the equipment used in the kitchen???

rosiecast Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 25

Ruthi, Don't quote me on this, but I believe in NYC you MUST have a commercial kitchen.

ruthi Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 25

I know this sounds stupid, but do all the boroughs qualify as "NYC", cuz I am not in Manhattan....and what is a commercial kitchen EXACTLY....I have the ability to have a kitchen in my basement WITH a separate entrance...would that qualify as a commercial kitchen? and does a commercial kitchen mean I have to have a commercial oven or I could purchase a regular oven, etc.???

rosiecast Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #19 of 25

Hi Ruthi, yes any of the five boros qualify as NYC: manhattan, queens, brooklyn, bronx and staten island.

I think you should definitely call and ask the relevant questions. You might be able to have the separate kitchen, but I'm not sure.

This is the regional office in Newburgh- 845-220-2047. I'm sure they'll be able to give you the right number for NYC. Good luck,

LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthi

I know this sounds stupid, but do all the boroughs qualify as "NYC", cuz I am not in Manhattan....and what is a commercial kitchen EXACTLY....I have the ability to have a kitchen in my basement WITH a separate entrance...would that qualify as a commercial kitchen? and does a commercial kitchen mean I have to have a commercial oven or I could purchase a regular oven, etc.???

I live in Monroe County and that is exactly what we need here. Separate entrance, separate kitchen, commercial appliance as in fridge, oven, etc.

Have you tried looking online for your county? Because that is where I found most of my info, after about 20 phone calls too. icon_wink.gif

Forgot to add that I don't everything needs to be commercial. I see lots of shows there KAs are used in commercial kitchen. I believe this requirements is for major appliances.

ruthi Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 25

what kind of search did you do online? I have no problem doing the research but am obviously putting in the wrong queries cuz I get no clear answers - how is it possible that no one in the five boroughs has a home-based business - or rather a separate kitchen in their home if that is the requirement?

foxymomma521 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Ruthi, Don't quote me on this, but I believe in NYC you MUST have a commercial kitchen.

Did anyone watch that show with Margaret Braun on Sunday? It showed her baking out of her own kitchen in Manhattan... It was just this tiny apartment kitchen, and she was talking about how she wakes up at 3am, with cake ideas and goes right to work.

LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:17pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Did anyone watch that show with Margaret Braun on Sunday? It showed her baking out of her own kitchen in Manhattan... It was just this tiny apartment kitchen, and she was talking about how she wakes up at 3am, with cake ideas and goes right to work.

Which network?

foxymomma521 Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #24 of 25

we... It was called Wedding Cake Masters...

rosiecast Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #25 of 25

ruthi, why don't you try calling 311. Maybe they'll be able to send you to the right office/phone number. Good luck,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%