Any Illinois Home Bakers???

Business By bakermom3107 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm by leily

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 5

Hey there! I was wondering about the regulations in Illinois in regards to at-home baking. Is it allowed? Does anyone here from IL work from their home? TIA for your help!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:46am
post #2 of 5

I don't live in illinois, but just across the river in iowa. When we were looking at moving I looked into it and as far as i could find you can not have a home bakery unless you had a completely seperate building on your property that was built to code and of course passed all inspections.

There was only one place we looked at there b/c it already had a detached building that had all of the electrical run and some plumbing. But ended up finding a place in iowa where it's a lot easier to have a home based business.

First places to call would be 1) Health department for your city/county 2) Department of Agriculture. I don't remember where I found the information since it's been a couple of years.

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

I live in illinois and do bake from the home, but only for friends and family and I don't actually charge them. According to the Public Health District you do have to bake and decorate in a Public Health District certified kitchen, which is not located in the home. For me, it works so that I can develop my skills more and once I marry my man in Ohio, I will be able to open my own business "for real". Good luck!

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much to both!!! Guess I have some things to look into icon_sad.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 5

did you check the top sticky topic at the top of this forum? It's all about states that do and don't license home bakeries, and who to contact in your state to find out. Definitely a good resource to start with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%