Red Butter Cream

Baking By Rochelle1 Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm by TexasSugar

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 12

I have tried making bright red butter cream but it comes out looking curdle and not even red. I was wondering if the use of butter is the problem or my flavouring. I like using a bit of rum and almond. I don't use lime juice because I already know lime prevents you from catching certain colours. I manage ti get it fine in fondant.

Any suggestions?

11 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure. Maybe someone will chime in that can help you. Sorry icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 12

can you post the recipe you are using? There are lots of variations of buttercream and knowing exactly what is in yours might help.

Also, what kind of coloring are you using? Brand? gel or liquid?
And, what specific color are you trying to use in the brand you are using?

Rochelle1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 12

Wilton no taste red concentrated paste.

Recipe is

480g Icing Sugar
3ozs Margarine
3ozs Butter
6ozs Shortening
almond, rum and white vanilla to taste.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:18am
post #5 of 12

I Just recently made some bright red buttercream ( my nurse cake in my photos). It takes too much with Wilton colors, so I use Americolors Really Red (I think that's what it's called) and get the right color a lot faster with just a few squirts.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 12

I use Americolor Super Red and Super Black nothing but for those two colors!!!!

Rochelle1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:47am
post #7 of 12

Yes but do they taste. I had to make over a cake free of charge because the colouring made icing tasted bitter. Is Americolor Red a no taste?

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:02am
post #8 of 12

I "build" to get my red. First I make yellow icing..mix well. Then add in orange coloring...mix well. Then add your red and whoala....you have red. As far as the brands go I have used both Wilton and Americolor. They both work fine but I think it takes less Americolor than it does the Wilton. HTH! icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:42am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle1

Yes but do they taste. I had to make over a cake free of charge because the colouring made icing tasted bitter. Is Americolor Red a no taste?

Americolor is much more concentrated so it takes a lot less coloring to get the darker colors. I have never had an issue with it changing the taste of the icing. I have had issues even with the no-taste wilton changing the taste and consistency.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 12

Nope the Americolor has no taste but add a little at a time and let it sit overnight. Believe me it gets darker and darker yet after it's on the cake. What I do is I keep a pail of black in refridge at all times I take my left over colors and throw them all together and add a shot of black to it and the red I take leftover pinks and some oranges and put in a shot of super red and that gives me red and black on hand at all times, the longer it sits the darker it gets.

aussiecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussiecook Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:39am
post #11 of 12

when you beat the icing, do you beat the butter/margarine until its almost white.
i find it colours better. thanks for sharing how to make red.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 12

The amount of red food coloring throws off the balance of the buttercream (made with crisco) and tends to make it seperate. Usually after it is in a bag.

I add cornstarch to the icing to help absorb the extra liquid and it has always helped me.

If you are making a full batch of red, you can replace the amount of water/liquid your recipe calls for for the liquid red food coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%