Is This Price Too Expensive?

Decorating By BlessP Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm by Win

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 14

$2.50 per slice for a custom made birthday cake and that includes everything from the kind of cake and decoration? Everything is made from scratch. This is in California (bay Area)

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 14

$2.50 per serving isn't very expensive even in my neck of the woods. I would think that in California that would be a steal.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 14

yep, that sounds very inexpensive (as in you're giving it away) and I don't sell my cakes.

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with mamarobin. I charge more than that and I'm in Montana!

BlessP Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 14

That's what I thought too. How would you reply if somebody will tell you that Safeway cake is cheaper?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 14

From what I've heard, the cost of living is way higher over there... and that is less than my price on bday cakes (I'm in a small town too)
I think you can get a lot more than that!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessP

That's what I thought too. How would you reply if somebody will tell you that Safeway cake is cheaper?

"Yep, it sure is."

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 14

Well of course a safeway cake is cheaper. If they were happy with the quality of that kind of cake they would not have looked for another option. If they want to pay the safeway price I would suggest having the address to the nearest store available.

Who says "not everybody can afford me, and that's ok"??

BlessP Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 14

That's a good attitude icon_biggrin.gif. Ok, I'm just a newbie in this cake pricing thing because most of my cake I just give it away for friends.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:

I'd tell them that if "cheaper" is what they're more comfortable with then by all means go to Safeway. If they want a quaility, custom cake then they can order from you thumbs_up.gif

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 14

I agree with Robin. I just attended a birthday party the other night with a cake from Albertson's.....let me just say I think I have officially crossed over....I am a cake snob. I tried to enjoy it, but with every bite I could taste the sugar granuals. I kept thinking to myself, "I could have made this way better. So smooth it would have melted in your mouth!!!" icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 14

[quote="mamawrobin]I'd tell them that if "cheaper" is what they're more comfortable with then by all means go to Safeway. If they want a quaility, custom cake then they can order from you thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

Perfect!

BlessP Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I'd tell them that if "cheaper" is what they're more comfortable with then by all means go to Safeway. If they want a quaility, custom cake then they can order from you thumbs_up.gif

Ok, that is a perfect and polite thing to say icon_biggrin.gif. I will say that, thank you icon_biggrin.gif.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:

Everything is made from scratch.

Need you say more? icon_biggrin.gif
I don't think Safeway can claim, "scratch."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%