The Top Layer Is Sliding - Help

Decorating By toleshed Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:26am by toleshed

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to decorating cakes. I have my first order for a birthday cake next week. Simple 2 layer 8" rounds with Peanut Butter filling. So decided maybe I'd make one today just to be sure. I found a great peanut butter buttercream recipe so made it. My layers looked really level so didn't level the bottom layer (probably my first mistake). I used the peanut butter filling to make my dam and proceeded to put the layer of peanut butter filling on at the same time. Well before I finished icing it, the top layer was sliding off the bottom. Any suggestions? Thanks

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

From your description it sounds like your bottom layer had a dome then that was sticking up? Cutting this off will help.

But for your filling, was it a stiff buttercream? It is usually recommended to use a stiff buttercream around the edge and then put your filling in. If your peanut butter icing was to soft then your top layer is going to slide.

toleshed Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

It wasn't real stiff. I'll use a different buttercream for my dam and will level the bottom layer.
Thanks Leily

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 7

What are you covering your cake with?

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:30am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

It wasn't real stiff. I'll use a different buttercream for my dam

You don't have to use a different buttercream altogether, especially if you were happy with the flavor. Just add more powdered sugar to stiffen it up.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 7

What I normally do is dam cakes with a stiffer BC first and then will thin out the rest of my BC to cover the cake with.

toleshed Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 7

Thank You! That worked

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%