Buttercream On Cookies - Help Please!

Baking By littlegreenfairy Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm by cylstrial

littlegreenfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlegreenfairy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone - I'm new on here but have been reading for quite a long time!

I've got a cookie question if you don't mind. I've seen some lovely cookies with buttercream iced onto them - with a basketweave nozzle.

Now then, is this normal buttercream or is there something special? I'm desperate to make some but don't really know where to start with them!

I was wondering if it solidified or if it remains squishy.

Thank you icon_smile.gif It seems lovely around here!

xx

15 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 16

I cannot answer your first question about how to do the cookies you describe. However, I can tell you that buttercream on cookies will never get hard. If you use a crusting buttercream, it will crust, but will not get hard enough that they will stack on each other very well.

littlegreenfairy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you DSlady.

I'll have a look to see if I can find the pictures I saw and loved. No doubt they are made by someone on here!

I thought that the buttercream wouldn't set hard. And it did make me wonder!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 16

I think the basket weave I've seen on cookies is done with royal icing -- that hardens up and allows you to wrap, stack, and otherwise handle the cookies. Buttercream would not allow that.

littlegreenfairy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 16

I really can't remember what I was searching for and where I found the pictures. They really were oh so beautiful!

I'll keep looking ot see if I can find a picture.

Thank you for your advice. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

littlegreenfairy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:59am
post #6 of 16

Right then, I've not found the picture again! (how useless am I?!) So I'm not going to take my chances any longer with the buttercream and shall stick to RI!

Thank you for answering my rather thick question! I'm sure there will be many others!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:19am
post #7 of 16

There's a lady on flickr that uses buttercream for her cookies and they are gorgeous. She shows some of them bagged in cello and tied with ribbons. Not sure how she does that. I've read through many of her comments but she never really says. Its obviously a crusting and she must have to be really careful with them. Check her out. maybe you could message her and see if she'll share her secret.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43488478@N06/
in case it doesnt let me post the link her name is Sugar Sugar 2010

littlegreenfairy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #8 of 16

BBMOM!! YOU FOUND THEM!!

Aren't they just stunning? I feel quite inadequate. I still need to learn about this crusting/non-crusting thing but I feel that's probably one for the cupcake forum.

Thank you so much!!

xxx

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:57am
post #9 of 16

When you bag the cookies, if you fill the bag with a little air(balloon effect) it will cushion the cookie and protect the frosting- a bit. My Elmo cookies traveled packed this way and they are buttercream(crusting). You can't stack them though. Flat side by side bagged is best. I will keep watching this thread for other suggestions. Love the look of RI and transportability, not the taste!!!

Reimagining_Confections Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 16

I followed the link from the flikr photos to a karens cookies. She claims her buttercream crusts enough to stack. I iwll have to try this. Here it is:

Meringue Powder Buttercream
1/3 cup water
3 T. meringue powder
½ cup shortening
4 ½ cups powdered sugar (1 lb. 3 oz. If you have a scale)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white icing)
¼ tsp. almond extract
Place half of the powdered sugar and the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together well. Turn on mixer (use whip attachment) and, while motor is running, slowly stream in the water. Mix until everything is incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form. Add flavorings and mix well. Change to paddle attachment (for stand mixer) or dough hook (for Bosch). If using a hand mixer, use the same beaters you were using before. Add remaining powdered sugar and shortening and whip for 2-3 minutes more.

Note: Don't skimp on the whipping time after adding the shortening. You really need to whip it well to prevent separation later.

Good luck and let me know if it works!

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:03pm
post #11 of 16

We ice ALL our sugar cookies with crusting buttercream icing. After they are allowed to sit they will crust up a bit and we can bag them and also stack them with parchment between them. Only if they are not super detailed, then we try not to stack them.
Works great and tastes SUPER yummy!! icon_lol.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 16

Interesting! It looks like that recipe is actually a cross between meringue powder royal and shortening-based buttercream. Much less shortening and with the meringue powder, it must set up fairly firm. Have to try it. I usually ice with glacee icing, which is like royal with corn syrup. It tastes much better than royal, because it remains a little softer, and can be flavored any number of ways, but sets up hard enough to withstand detailed decoration.

littlegreenfairy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 16

I will be having a go at this as soon as possible! Can I just ask what is meringue powder? Is there some kind of alternative for the UK market?

Reimagining_Confections Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 16

Meringue powder(Wilton makes one) is Unlike plain powdered egg whites, meringue powder is made of dried egg whites, sugar, and gum.

It seems to be available in the UK. Here is a website http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Meringue-Powder-113g.html

(there were a ton when I googled)

littlegreenfairy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you for looking after me CookiesbyMomME!

I shall be buying some of that then!! How exciting!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

There's a lady on flickr that uses buttercream for her cookies and they are gorgeous. She shows some of them bagged in cello and tied with ribbons. Not sure how she does that. I've read through many of her comments but she never really says. Its obviously a crusting and she must have to be really careful with them. Check her out. maybe you could message her and see if she'll share her secret.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43488478@N06/
in case it doesnt let me post the link her name is Sugar Sugar 2010

Wow! That lady is super talented! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%