Straps For The First Purse Cake

Decorating By Me-again Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 10:45am by Occther

Me-again Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Me-again Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 8

I was told that I could use, fondant and gumpaste mixed together to create the strap for the purse cake and when it dried, the strap crumbled to pieces. What could I do differently or what could I use to keep the strap from breaking.

7 replies
Geseka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geseka Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

I've only made a handful of purse cakes, but each time I used about half gumpaste, half fondant. One way I have created the straps is to make the handle and apply it to the cake while it is still pliable, using something to help hold its shape while it dries (like wadded up tissue paper). For the mini purse cakes I recently did, I used my clay extruder to create the strap which I then formed it into the shape I wanted but this time, I let the straps dry on their sides overnight, then placed it on the cake after it had dried the next morning.

brightenupdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightenupdesserts Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 8

It sounds like you may have rolled your purse straps too thin. Were your straps like a rolled sausage or long a flat like ribbon either way they still need a little girth. You can position your straps over a large can of fruit or small empty coffee can. Always prepare extra for breakage. I have dried straps in a hurry in under 24 hours. I usually use Tylose in fondant. I use Wilton's fondant for details that need to harden fast.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

If you want them sticking up, try pastillage. Dries much nicer. Google for recipes, as I don't have my book in front of me.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 8

When it comes to purse straps you have to understand that you are working with a very fragile object...and make triple the amount you THINK you are going to need. With the purse in my albums I made six handles...and broke 4 of them. They were half fondant/half gumpaste, rolled out and then placed on their sides to dry. Not easy to adhere without breaking but I managed it in the end.

ShandaleS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandaleS Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 8

Thanks all! This posting was made for me, for some reason I wasn't able to post it earlier. @ Brightenupdesserts, I made the straps like a long flat ribbon but apparently that wasn't such a great idea. I will attempt again tonight to make a strap that is rolled like a sausage. I'm really new at this but I am determined to get it right. The purse is due on Friday for a birthday party...now I'm getting stressed.

@ Catlharper, I guess I better get started on making extra straps tonight if I'm going to break half of them. @ Jentreu, I have no idea what pastillage is. I have some gumtex powder so I'm going to try adding that to my fondant to see if it works better.

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll keep you all posted! icon_cry.gif

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:33am
post #7 of 8

I have never personally made a purse strap, but saw in the planet cake book recently that they covered aquarium tubing with the fondant and that was their straps! I thought it was a pretty simple idea.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:45am
post #8 of 8

I have had the same thing happen. Personally, really thick gumpaste has worked for me. But I have also rolled fondant/gumpaste mixture into the length that I needed and then inserted a #20 paper covered wire, bent the handle and then inserted into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%