How Do I Achieve This Look?

Decorating By CKKakes Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm by mama2_3

CKKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CKKakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 21

Hello all!

I have a request to replicate this look but I have NO IDEA how to attach all these ribbons. Would I use chocolate melts as glue?? Any advice would be appreciated!!
LL

20 replies
de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 21

The cake seems to be all BC and it looks like the ribbion is the kind of small plastic ribbon which you can curl up with scissors (sorry, the correct word eludes me) icon_smile.gif
In this case the ribbion will stick to the buttercream so it will be simple to warp it around the tiers. HTH

CKKakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 21

Thank you for your response...I will be covering my cake in fondant...do you have an idea how I would accomplish this?

I know the ribbon you're referring to...like Christmas ribbon.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 21

I would use straight pins to attach them, in the back where it won't show. The ribbon will have to be removed to cut the cake, so using candy melts to glue it on would make that a lot harder.

CKKakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 21

That's what I was thinking I'd have to do. When I do ribbons around the base of the tiers, on my cakes I use pins...I was just thinking with this much ribbon I may need a lot of pins...it's a little scary.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 21

I'm not sure how to attach the ribbon but I would never, never, never use pins. If even one is left in the cake you may be open to a law suit not to mention how awful it would be if someone swallowed or got it caught in their throat. Figure out a way to glue it on with edible glue or piping gel.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 21

use candy melt or chocolate.. never pins very dangerous.

Bellanina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellanina Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 21

I would lightly wet the ribbon and then lay it on the fondant. You won't be able to move the ribbon once it wets the fondant but I'd say that's the safest way to do it.

CKKakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 21

That's my fear. When I have used pins for base ribbons I use corsage pins they are a bit larger and very hard to miss & I only use one per tier. I've never heard of anyone not using pins to attach their ribbons (non edible)...if anyone knows how to I'd love to know how to. I was thinking of using melting chocolate...just a dab...maybe that will work (??).

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 21

I would never put pins in a cake either. I would make some edible glue. That stuff is strong!

CKKakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 21

I'm going to practice with melting chocolate and see if that works. I agree I don't want there to be any dangers...thank you all for the comments.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 21

If you want to make it entire cake edible and achieve the same ribbon effect with sugarveil. And its stick enough to stick with just water.

CKKakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 21

I've never used sugar-veil...is it easy to work with? Will it look shiny like a satin ribbon? I'd love to use something edible but looks like the real thing.

I've seen sugar-veil used on Ultimate Cake Off...it doesn't seem to difficult. Is it something you can buy pre made?

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 21

gum paste glue- that stuff is like superglue!

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:01am
post #15 of 21

Just go to sugarveil.com and buy the 1lb. bag. That will give you plenty to get the look you want. There are online tutorials to look at and yes it is easy to use.

CKKakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:04am
post #16 of 21

Yep I think SugarVeil is the way to go...I will watch the tutorials...thank you! thank you! If I can't figure it out perhaps gumpaste glue on real ribbon will work.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:39am
post #17 of 21

I did a similar cake and used sugarveil for the ribbons. I was very happy the way it turned out.

I made a sheet of sugarveil on a silpat mat and combed thru it so that I had several widths of "ribbon".

And yes, no pins in a cake, EVER. There's always another way that may not as be as easy, but will be much safer.

HTH
Rae
LL

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:41am
post #18 of 21

I did a similar cake and used sugarveil for the ribbons. I was very happy the way it turned out.

I made a sheet of sugarveil on a silpat mat and combed thru it so that I had several widths of "ribbon".

And yes, no pins in a cake, EVER. There's always another way that may not as be as easy, but will be much safer.

HTH
Rae
LL

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #19 of 21

Wow, guys - these are great cakes! And the ribbons are a perfect job for SugarVeil. Here are a few notes:

If you want shiny ribbons, spread SugarVeil onto a slick silicone mat. If you want ribbons with a 'matte' finish, you can use the back of our Lace Confectioners' Mat to cast the SugarVeil (and this surface you do not have to grease).

Here's an idea if you'd like ribbons with a different color border: Use the "Deep Lines" edge of the Confectionery comb to comb lines thru white SugarVeil, wait a few minutes, and then pipe colored SugarVeil between lines. The ribbon will have a contrasting edge on both sides, so you can use it twisted as well (see photos).

For bags of SugarVeil, visit icingimages.com. Also, we're in the process of doing a new instructional video to share with you on youtube.com/sugarveil which will show how to create bows from the ribbons. Thanks much! - Michele at SugarVeil.
LL
LL
LL

CKKakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #20 of 21

I want to thank you all for your tips and advice. I appreciate them all VERY MUCH!!

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #21 of 21

Since I also scrapbook, I wonder if you could use a bit of water to tack it in various places and then use a tape runner on the very end and slightly overlap the ribbon in back. That way it would not have to be glued everywhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%