Meringue Based Buttercream Users

Decorating By k_mun Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 4:23pm by bltaylo3

k_mun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_mun Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,
I've read a few posts here from bakers who exclusively use meringue based buttercream.
I would love to know their frosting and fondant process. Since such frostings need refrigeration and much more unstable at room temperature, insights from experienced members would be great.

Thanks.

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 10

My process is the same whether I use Meringue buttercream or american buttercream (although I rarely use American buttercream). I refrigerate ALL of my cakes (most of my fillings require it) and it makes the fondant process much easier.

After frosting my cakes get THOROUGHLY chilled (until the frosting is solid) and then covered in fondant and back into the fridge. They come out while they are being decorated, and then back into the fridge until delivery.

k_mun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_mun Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

My process is the same whether I use Meringue buttercream or american buttercream (although I rarely use American buttercream). I refrigerate ALL of my cakes (most of my fillings require it) and it makes the fondant process much easier.

After frosting my cakes get THOROUGHLY chilled (until the frosting is solid) and then covered in fondant and back into the fridge. They come out while they are being decorated, and then back into the fridge until delivery.

PZ,
So you refrigerate, not freeze, the cakes? And they remain chilled throughout the process, never coming to room temp?

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 10

I was unsure about refrigerating cakes with fondant, heard they sweat. Is that true? Can you refrig fondant cakes after they are decorated?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 10

Depends on what you are decorating with, gumpaste items will not do well in fridge and fondant decorations could also wilt and colors can run.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:49am
post #6 of 10

Yes I refrigerate fully decorated cakes until delivery and don't bring them back to room temp at all during the process. I've never had a problem with sweating as i keep my work space relatively cool.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 10

From my experiences, the fondant sweating is not much of an issue depending on how you colored(decorated) it. If you airbrush/paint color on the cake(the sweating can make the color run). If the color is in the fondant(you are fine).

Gumpaste and fridge=no no. I found out that one the hardway!

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 10

I wanted to add this question/comment. I made SMBC for the first time...it was delicious. I placed it in an air tight container in the fridge until I was ready to use it....bad idea. It seems once it hardens in the fridge you have missed the window to use it. I tried to re whip it and it separated horribly. Is this the nature of SMBC or did I do something wrong?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltaylo3

I wanted to add this question/comment. I made SMBC for the first time...it was delicious. I placed it in an air tight container in the fridge until I was ready to use it....bad idea. It seems once it hardens in the fridge you have missed the window to use it. I tried to re whip it and it separated horribly. Is this the nature of SMBC or did I do something wrong?

You let it come to room temperature before rewhipping it. If you didn't toss it, let your container of icing come to room temp...it still isn't a lost cause.

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 10

dang. already tossed. But at least now I know. THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%