Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By libbygrl109 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 3:44am by bakermom3107

libbygrl109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libbygrl109 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 8

I read through the tutorial on the FBCT, but was wondering: what consistency should the BC be? If I want the outline to be the same color as the fill-in, do I use stiff consistency, then thin of the same icing or something else? Hoping to practice it this weekend for DS's birthday cake.

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 8

I use a soft medium for all of it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbygrl109

I read through the tutorial on the FBCT, but was wondering: what consistency should the BC be? If I want the outline to be the same color as the fill-in, do I use stiff consistency, then thin of the same icing or something else? Hoping to practice it this weekend for DS's birthday cake.

Practicing is a great idea - I struggled with my first one and I am thankful it was a practice one! I got lots of good advice on here too. I would not do the same color outline for your first time. I would use the black Wilton icing to outline - it works really well. Then let it dry/crust a bit before you fill it in. Good luck!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 8

I think the outline color all depends on the picture. I have outlined some with the same color and I have outlined some with black or another color. It just depends on what you want the final product to look like.

sugnspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugnspice Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 8

From my own experience, royal icing hold ups better for the outline of the Buttercream transfer. I have also used fudge for the outline of the BC transfer.
If you use black food colored buttercream , there is a chance that the color will bleed onto your other colors when your BC transfer defrosts on your cake. Thanks,

Yoli

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 8

I've never had my colors bleed (even the black) when it defrosts.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

I agree with TexasSugar - I've never had my black bleed when defrosting. I usually do my FBCTs on a metal cookie sheet. I do my outline first and pop it in the freezer until it's really firm (I usually leave it for an hour or so - depending on how much time I have), then I do the backfilling. It really helps keep my outline from "walking" on the wax paper. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:44am
post #8 of 8

Just did my first one the other day and it was pretty easy! I used a medium consistency bc for all of it and didn't let the outline "set" at all. It came out perfect (in fact, I'm kicking myself for not finding out about the fbct sooner!!).

HTH and Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%