Wow I'm In A Big Time Pickle

Decorating By Annmarie81 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm by kake4me2

Annmarie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annmarie81 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
Im sort of new to cake decorating. I took the classes in NC before we got orders to Okinawa.. Well I offered up to make my son's soccer team their end of season cake. Well team mom totally threw me under the bus, with can you make my husband's (my son's coach) Team a cake too..

My son's team is the Sharks, So i thought about doing a shark biting a soccer ball..

The other team is the Dragons. I can not put my mind around how to do a dragon. I need a tutorial or step by step photos of how to do this..

Then i have a friend who is the mom of her son's team who is the blue lighting bolts. I have no clue how to start this cake either..

I'm so completely stressed about these cakes..

Also is there a tutorial on how to do a Rock on Hand cake? I've seen a few on here.. My little boy loves that cake as well his b-day is in Oct so i have time for that one..

I would like to make the cakes out of as much cake as possible.. I know there are a few that call for RKT...

Thanks for any info.

7 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to CC! Sounds like you've got a lot to do!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 8

First thing first...sit, breathe and get out your notepad. You are going to need a plan!

A calendar will help you note days where you can make frosting and other decorations ahead of time.

I hope you get some help with your dragon. I have never made one.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=how+to+make+a+dragon+cake&btnG=Google+Search

check this out........there are tons of tutorials for making a dragon cake, depends on the look you're going for.

For the blue lightning bolts..........I would just make a sheetcake and cut it into a zig zagged lightning bolt shape!

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 8

I thought this one was really cute and wouldn't be too hard to do because the shape is pretty simple and it's mostly cake http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://coolest-birthday-cakes.shippony.com/images/theme/fantasy/dragons/dragon-cakes-11.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/dragon-cakes.html&h=259&w=400&sz=21&tbnid=T6_hmJ9MEZUh7M:&tbnh=80&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhow%2Bto%2Bmake%2Ba%2Bdragon%2Bcake&hl=en&usg=__ZNWUb2Q4I1r-wUKgBLvcdE15XIg=&ei=UtzWS4urCouw9QScv7mgBw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CCMQ9QEwAw

Wow, didn't realize how long that link was! Anyway, you could change the facial features a bit and add some "fire" coming from his mouth to make him a bit more menacing for a team cake and maybe add a soccer ball on the side and do some lettering or the whole thing in the team colors. hth and good luck!

Annmarie81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annmarie81 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 8

I have a calendar on my Mac that is linked to my iphone with a count down lol..

My soccer ball pan is lost some where in the mail. I hadn't planned on making cakes here in Okinawa Japan, then I sadly realized the quality you get from the commissary here.. Ugh way worst then walmart could ever do. Due to them being frozen and shipped in from CA.ack is right.
So now i'm on a hunt for pans...

I'm short on some supplies due to living in a foreign country and some business just do not ship FPO/AP boxes(military address).
If my soccer pan isn't here anytime soon, what is a good bowl to hunt down. We have a big BX(kind of like walmart) here on base.

Thanks so much for links and ideas..

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 8

bowl: if you have a kitchen aid mixer -- you've got the bowl already.

any quality steel or aluminum mixing bowl will do.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 8

Look around here you will find all the guidance you need through the forums and galleries...It has saved me numerous times!!

I wish you the best of luck in doing these cakes, I myself have also made too many commitments before and learned the hard way that "No" is not a bad word. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%