Help!! Time Is Running Out And Have A Few Questions!!

Decorating By aprilblack Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm by ladyonzlake

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:56am
post #1 of 6

I know this is a stupid question, but what size of cardboard circles do you use under a 14", 12" cake tiers? I assumed that I would use the 14 and 12" however there was slight shrinkage when baking the cake. I know it will be built up some when frosting, but that much?

Also, I have this big cake and three smaller ones all in one week, how soon is too soon to tort and do crumb coat? Is it same to put in freezer after I crumb coat and actually start icing the day before? I want them to be as fresh as possible, but am running WAY low on time. TIA for any help or suggestions!

5 replies
katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:07am
post #2 of 6

use the cake boards that are the same size as the cke, if the frosting does not cover the extra (from shrinkage) then you can cut them down a little (but iv never had a problem, after crum coating and fondant the base is always the same size as the cake)

if your really worried about time, just bake and freeze, make sure you wrap them well, iv never forzen a crumb coated cake before but it should be ok, i know pf people who have frozen compleatly decorated cakes (fondant and all) with no problems!
good luck!
HTH

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:13am
post #3 of 6

Thank you SO much for your quick reply..I am praying this turns out!

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:20am
post #4 of 6

you will be fine im sure! good luck, and make sure you post photos!

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 6

That is a good question, I keep mulling this one over. A recent cake I did, I ended up having the cake at the edge of the table and I cut the excess cake board off with a serrated knife and it helped a lot, otherwise I have to find a way to cover up the excess board and I dont have a clean finish at the bottom of the cake.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 6

My vanilla cake always seems to shrink more than others but I just use BC and it's a thick exterior but works fine.

You'll be fine if you crumb coat and freeze. I'd freeze them first and then when they're firm cover with plastic wrap.

I usually bake and freeze my cakes on Sunday and I've started decorating as early as Tuesday (if I have mulitple orders for the same day)for a Saturday delivery with no problems. I always refrigerate the cakes until delivery. Cakes stay fresh for a long time refrigerated. My cakes are all scratch cakes.

Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%