Will This Work To Make A Zebra Print?

Decorating By grams Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm by grams

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 8

Will it work to ice a cake with "Bettercreme" and then attach black fondant stripes to the top and sides? My niece doesn't like fondant, buttercream, or creamcheese icing. "Too sweet" according to her. She likes the Bettercreme but I know that doesn't take dark colors well and it doesn't crust so stenciling on it won't work. Her school colors are orange and black so she wants a 1/2 sheet zebra graduation cake with orange bead border. I was wondering if the black fondant would attach to the Bettercreme and if the black would bleed into it?

7 replies
curley_orange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curley_orange Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

I have attached fondant to BC before and never had a problem. I have found this is a good way to make a design for people that do not like the way fondant tastes. I have never had a problem with it bleeding into the BC either. Good luck!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 8

I frosted a cake with bettercreme (pastry pride) and had some fondant decorations. It was working well for a bit but then the fondant decorations started to slide off and the color began to bleed. Fondant is a little heavy for that type of icing...basically it is like a whipped cream. I would personally not do it, because I did not have a good experience. If others have had success maybe they can give you some helpful hints.

This is the cake I made with bettercreme

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1558578

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 8

I've never used bettercreme, but maybe you could just make sure you roll the black fondant super thin so its not too heavy....or maybe if you have access to edible images you could make a black sheet and cut out the stripes from that...OR I think they even make premade zebra print edible sheets you can peel off and add to the cake...

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

The fondant Decorations will slide, especially on the sides...one way you might be able to do it is make LONG stripes and make sure that the majority of the stripe is on the top and let it hang over the side, you just won't be able to put the small free standing ones on the side...does that make sense? HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #6 of 8

Lucks does make zebra stripe edible images to wrap around the side of a cake...I just looked it up on Google...

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 8

I do stripes on my cakes a lot. but i try to let the Bc crust just alittle then i use a little water on the back of the stripes also if i want long ones i make sure the go on top of the cake , Theres a 16 cake in my pics i did like this. HTH

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your comments. I think I'll just tell her it will be buttercream icing and those who don't like it can scrape it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%