Getting Sprinkles To Stick On Cupcakes

Baking By emlashlee Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 4

I have an order for a typical swirl of icing on top of a cupcake, but she wants sprinkles (coordinating with her carnival birthday theme) on the icing, too. I use IndyDebi's Buttercream Icing and I've never had luck with getting sprinkles to stick to it. It is not a "dry" icing, but it doesn't seem to have enough moisture to grab and hold on to the sprinkles. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 4

Last weekend I had a bunch of leftover cupcakes that already had icing on them and I decided to let my 2 year decorate them with sprinkles - since its a crusting buttercream I used a spray bottle with water on the mist setting and lightly sprayed them and it worked great. If you try it make sure its not a lot of water or the colors in the sprinkles will run. Hopefully that helps you icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 4

I would add just a little extra moisture to the icing recipe to make it not quite as stiff...and then add the sprinkles right away instead of icing all the cupcakes and then going back with sprinkles.

When I use crusting icing I have to do the sprinkles pretty close to right away or they don't stick. I also like to add a little extra liquid to my icing too.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much jadedlogic and Kitagirl for the great advice! I really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%