It Melted!!

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 1:16pm by helsbels

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 7

I am so bummed! My cake this weekend melted!!

I did a crusting buttercream and used the upside-down method for frosting. It worked really well!

I then used fondant cut outs and decorated in zebra stripes.

However while working I noticed the frosting starting to sweat and it slowly melted it's way down the cake! My nice neat top edge slid down the sides!! And my friend confirmed it didn't make it very well through the evening. icon_sad.gif

I don't know what do have done or why it might have happened but here's a couple thoughts if you guys have input.

1 - I did use this frosting 2 weeks ago and to save it stuck it in the freezer. Is freezing the Crusting Buttercream ok ??

2 - It was raining - not too humid but it was damp outside.

3 - While doing the upside-down method I did put it in and out of the fridge while doing all of the steps.

Any thoughts?

6 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 7

I also live in IL and when icing "melts" it's usually due to the heat or humidity. It shouldn't be a concern this time of year though. One of my other thoughts were...was your cake completely cool prior to icing it? I haven't heard of the "upside down method" so I may not be much help on that, nor have I ever froze icing except for transfers. What Icing Recipe were you using? I use Sharon Zambito's buttercream recipe, ever since then, I have had no issues with my icing at all...no matter what the weather is doing outside.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with OA - I now use sugarshacks' buttercream recipe and NEVER have a problem with it. It works like a dream, and the heat/humidity does not affect it. I did trial runs with it before using it, and was amazed.

t4beatles Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 7

I used the recipe here called 'faux fondant crusting buttercream II'.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1597/crusting-buttercream-faux-fondant-ii/comment-page-1#comment-3874

And yes, my cakes were cool. I had baked them a few days before and froze them.

I just saw someone's post that they had problems with the sweating too.

I guess I'll have to find a different crusting recipe. icon_sad.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:56am
post #5 of 7

were your cakes completly defrosted prior to you frosting the cake? If the cakes were still frozen that could have caused the problem

t4beatles Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 7

Yeap, totally defrosted, so I really don't know what else to think it was except the weather. icon_sad.gif

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 7

I would not have frozen the buttercream. It should be "shelf" stable. That may have been the start of your problem but its just a guess. Did you mix it again after you defrosted it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%