How To Improve My Cakes

Decorating By caraleecupcake Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 5:05am by caraleecupcake

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #1 of 13

This weekend I successfully made my first wedding cake for a friend of mine. She was so happy with the result and overall I was too... but there were some imperfections that I would like to improve. (If you refer to my most recent pic in my photos you can see the wedding cake.)

1- How do I make my cakes more defined? Like harder more defined edges? Mine look really soft and I just wasn't as happy.

2- How to torte and level better? I stacked the cakes at the venue, and I realized the tops of the cake were a bit rounded so they did not sit flat on top of the cake under it. I ended up having to pipe a much bigger/fatter border between the cakes to cover up the gaps between the cakes icon_sad.gif

3- Any other tips??

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

12 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 13

I'm curious about the answers to your questions too! I have the same problems.

Are you using Wilton pans? My round pans are Wilton and I have read that they do not have perfectly straight sides and they definitely are very curved on the edges. My square cake pans are Magic Line and they have perfectly straight edges. I find that I have the rounded problem much much more with my Wilton pan made cakes. I'm wondering if the pan is the problem or is there something to do to overcome that problem!

Hopefully you'll get some good advice that I can use too!!

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #3 of 13

Krissie - I did use the wilton pans actually! I never thought about it but they are kinda rounded...hmmm... maybe I should invest in some better pans??

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraleecupcake

This weekend I successfully made my first wedding cake for a friend of mine. She was so happy with the result and overall I was too... but there were some imperfections that I would like to improve. (If you refer to my most recent pic in my photos you can see the wedding cake.)

1- How do I make my cakes more defined? Like harder more defined edges? Mine look really soft and I just wasn't as happy.

2- How to torte and level better? I stacked the cakes at the venue, and I realized the tops of the cake were a bit rounded so they did not sit flat on top of the cake under it. I ended up having to pipe a much bigger/fatter border between the cakes to cover up the gaps between the cakes icon_sad.gif

3- Any other tips??

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

1. It could have been your pans. try to get a sharp edge with your Buttercream next time then fondant.

2. Did you level your cake? I use a wire leveler to torte and level the tops.

3. I LOVE your chairs!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:17am
post #5 of 13

Did you cover the cakes in fondant? Sometimes if your fondant is too thick it will give that rounded look on the edges of your cake. Also, I've found that letting my crumbcoat get really hard helps with nice crisp edges. Some suggest using ganache, but I haven't tried that yet.
P.S. I have some round wilton pans and some fat daddio's pans, and they look exactly alike. I'm not sure if the round magic line pans are better...but their square ones are def. better!

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 13

SPCC - thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif I definitely need some leveling/torting practice. They are each 2 layer cakes which were each torted in half. I also trimmed off the tops and put a bottom layer on the top so it would be "more level"... I'll admit though it wasnt perfectly straight torting, but I thought I could just add more frosting/filling lol..guess not!

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:28am
post #7 of 13

Kelli - I think the fondant was maybe a bit thick. My wonderful BF tried to help me roll it out lol (It soooo hard to roll MMF to at least 22 inches to cover the bottom tier... you should check out my guns now! lol) But he did tell me he would get me a sheeter now - uh huh sure icon_wink.gif

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:30am
post #8 of 13
Quote:

SPCC - thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif I definitely need some leveling/torting practice. They are each 2 layer cakes which were each torted in half. I also trimmed off the tops and put a bottom layer on the top so it would be "more level"... I'll admit though it wasnt perfectly straight torting, but I thought I could just add more frosting/filling lol..guess not!

I did that with my oldest daughters first cake and I tell you it was a disaster! It did have tons of frosting on it though. Do you have a wire leveler? If yes make sure it's really straight. I go side to side and lightly forward then turn it so I don't rip the side. also watch your fillings. To much filling can cause a bump.

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #9 of 13

Thanks SPCC, I should have used my wire leveler, but since my cakes were cold it was harder for me. so, I ended up using a knife :-/

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:56am
post #10 of 13

I level all of my cakes while they are still in the pan. I also use Wilton pans except for the 9 inch size. None of the other Wilton pans will stack inside of the others (same size) except for the 9 inch pans which mean that they don't have a perfect straight edge. The rounded top issue has nothing to do with what kind of pans you use. That is determined by leveling the cake.

Like Kelli said, if you roll your fondant too thick that will give a rounded look to your cake. I also chill my crumbcoated cake before covering with fondant. I also create a crisp edge on my cake with the crumbcoat which makes for cleaner, crisper edges when you do cover with fondant. If the buttercream under your fondant doesn't have a crisp edge to it, your fondant won't either. If the buttercream finish is rounded your fondant will be as well.

I hope this makes sense. icon_lol.gif btw cute cake thumbs_up.gif

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:57am
post #11 of 13

I really work hard at the begining to level my cakes at several stages and use a plastic level to check. I bought a washable level from a hardware store and use it when torting, when filling and dirty icing and when stacking. I am not perfect but I think it has improved the look of my cakes. I also agree you get crisper edge if you refridgerate the buttercream layer until firm before applying fondant.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:05am
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Kelli - I think the fondant was maybe a bit thick. My wonderful BF tried to help me roll it out lol (It soooo hard to roll MMF to at least 22 inches to cover the bottom tier... you should check out my guns now! lol) But he did tell me he would get me a sheeter now - uh huh sure icon_wink.gif

LOL I know what you mean... my arms look like a man's arms icon_eek.gif

caraleecupcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:05am
post #13 of 13

thank you all for the wonderful advice!! it means a lot to me. i do this for fun, but its kind of taken over and im a perfectionist. i'm going to take in all your advice for the next cakes. i'm at the age where all my friends are getting married, and I have at least 2 more wedding cakes this year.

Thank you! Cara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%