Rainbow Cake Frenzy

Decorating By manda2177 Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm by manda2177

manda2177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #1 of 29

Did you see the Rainbow Cake on Martha Stewart this week?

I was totally upset when I saw it and realized someone stole my idea.
http://iammommy.typepad.com/my_weblog/rainbow-cake/

Then I sorta remembered that I saw it on someone else's blog before I made it. Anyone know how long that bad boy has been around??

Anywho... I decided to try and make the 'all natural' version... using fruit to color the white cake. I had to add a little gel food coloring to the green and orange, but the rest is mostly natural.

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/04/mothers-day-garden-party.html

What do you think... super awesome totally food coloring laden Rainbow Cake??

Or the more natural muted version????

28 replies
anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #2 of 29

I like the natural version! It looks delish! Is that your blog? I really like it icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #3 of 29

Likes the super bright authentically colored rainbow one best, but the other is quite pretty as well.

manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 29

Yes! Those are both my blogs. Thank you so much!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #5 of 29

I like the look of the bright one better. I do like the thought behind yours. If the two were side by side, I'd probably request a slice of each. thumbs_up.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 29

I like the look of the bright one better. I made one a couple of years ago for my daughter, found the directions here on cc. A bunch of people have made them. But I have never seen one colored with fruit, I bet it tastes really good.

manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #7 of 29

I will have to do some more research and give credit where it is due! icon_smile.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #8 of 29

I just went to your site and LOVE it! The set up with the natural rainbow cake is so beautiful. Your ideas are so fun and creative, I love how well you follow through with the theme of things...I have to bookmark your site! I am a fan.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #9 of 29

Help! lol... I am a little confused. Last year for my friends wedding we ordered a rainbow cake. The cake was regular white cake. The rainbow part was the different colors and flavors of filling in each layer. I don't know the recipe but it was delish! Is there different kinds of rainbow cake?
Thanks

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #10 of 29

Rainbow Cake is awesooome!

manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #11 of 29

Thank you so much bbmom!

Ivy383, I am not sure... I had not heard of that type of set up before... but it sounds super cool!

Teenz... LOVE your picture!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #12 of 29

I did a rainbow cake for my daughter's birthday, it was Dora theme. I love the all natural one for an adult party, maybe a spring time bridal party and the bright food colored one for a kid's party. The natural one looks absolutely beautiful.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #13 of 29

I did a rainbow cake for my son's birthday (penguin theme and he wanted rainbow cake, go figure). I like the bright colors, but the fruit flavors are a good idea, too. I did something like that with a Fourth of July cake a while back. My layers were strawberry, white chocolate and blueberry. Colored/flavored cakes are fun!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:06am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda2177

Then I sorta remembered that I saw it on someone else's blog before I made it. Anyone know how long that bad boy has been around??

I don't know, but MacsMom has been making a rainbow cake for a good long time, and posted instructions on her particular technique about two years ago http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-585413-rainbow.html.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been around longer than that - I mean, it's such a cute idea.

I was just reading a thread the other day where someone was experimenting with beet juice to get a red color (mind you, this one was in a red velvet cake). I too like the idea of adding natural ingredients to get your colors...but overall I figure heck, a little food coloring can't be THAT bad for you. Anyway I love your "mostly all natural" version you linked to on your blog - that is really neat, and I appreciate you sharing the details there! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:18am
post #15 of 29

I don't know how long the idea has been around but I'm 49 and my grandmother use to make our birthday cakes this way. She was a big fan of food coloring icon_lol.gif I remember one St. Patrick's Day she made green mashed potatoes icon_lol.gif She use to put food color in her homeade ice cream as well.

Anyway, how long has the "idea" been around. Probably awhile icon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:42am
post #16 of 29

You have an amazing blog! I love the look of the natural rainbow cake, you can actually see some of the texture of the fruit...delicious!

So much has been done in the cake world that it's hard to tell "who did it first", but your cake is definitely amazing icon_smile.gif

manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #17 of 29

Thank you so much for the kind words... you all are the best! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 29

I know it was big back in the 1950s.

manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 29

The 50's!! I love how hip our moms and grandmas are!! icon_smile.gif

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #20 of 29

I know when I was a kid (60's) it was considered sorta old fashioned, but a friend of mine just HAD to have one, much to her mothers annoyance. Her mom thought it was less than perfect, be we thought it was the coolest cake we'd ever seen, ok, so we were 7 at the time... icon_biggrin.gif I'm sure it was loaded w/food coloring!

I do like the natural one, for a springy, garden party type look, kids would probably prefer the brighter one.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #21 of 29

I'm a 60's baby. Looks like I'm not the only one that got a rainbow cake. icon_lol.gif Like I said my grandmother did mine for me. My mother has never been a big fan of food coloring. I don't think I could have ever talked her into it.

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #22 of 29

i love the excitement and amazement of kids when you cut into their birthday cake and they see the rainbow of colors for the first time!!! As a newbie, i love to do kids cake because they are amazed by almost anything!!!

Cocoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoscakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #23 of 29

I will be trying your fruity rainbow cake recipe for one of the cakes I will be doing for my twins birthday party

I'm super excited and can't wait

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:43pm
post #24 of 29

I have been noticing a rise in rainbow cakes in the food blogshere. I am trying to put my finger on where the trend came from. 70's retro??

Whatever it is I love it! Brings me back to my childhood. I had rainbow everything.

Your colors are bright and yummy looking. I think if you muted them they would not be as fun or edible looking.

Great job! Love your blog - could I re-blog some of your stuff on mine?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #25 of 29

[quote="manda2177Anywho... I decided to try and make the 'all natural' version... using fruit to color the white cake. quote]

I wonder if all those flavors competed with each other? I do love the all natural idea.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #26 of 29

manda2177, I've never heard of a grape cake; was the grape layer tasty?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #27 of 29

I personally love the natural one... I like the natural, muted colors so much more, and of course I prefer the idea of natural over artificial whenever possible.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #28 of 29

I think Jello might have started this in the early 1900's??? They offered recipies for their product and this was one of them. (In a simpler format though)

manda2177 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #29 of 29

Dizzymaiden-Sure! Just send me a link! icon_smile.gif And the fruit layers complimented themselves SO wonderfullly... really... with the simple syrup it was all just sweet and yummy!

7yyrt... I really liked it!! The flavor is subtle... but distinct.

cocoscakes- Cant wait to see it!! Be sure to take lots of pictures! icon_smile.gif

Blessings!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%