Decorating By kellertur Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 1:45am by kellertur

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #61 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Sensation-Cakery

Not excusing what the lady is doing, but if this all because of a bunch of bad words. Vengence never solves anything. You can't stop people from speaking what they want. Just don't let it be true. All the bickering will run customers away. Let them see her ignorance, because this says something about her. Ask if I retaliate Will it help solve the problem or will it only make matters worse? it only makes matters worse. yea she will call and the lady will close and then what. Do you thing she is acutally going to stop? Now she probably purposely start calling health inspectors and get even worse. (Mod edited for content.)

I've already stated numerous times I not calling the health dept, nor am I doing anything out of vengence. I was asking what others would do. (Mod edited for content.) icon_smile.gif

(Mod edited for content.) If you were sure in your gut that your initial reaction was the right one, this discussion wouldn't be happening at all. Sometimes, in our greatest attempts to help ourselves, we make things worse.

I'm not suggesting that you bow down and do nothing. I am suggesting that you handle it in a very professional manner and not get sucked into unnecessary drama. Do your local banks call and threaten each other when one is bad mouthing the other? It's all business. And, if you know your product is superior, it will only be a matter of time before her comments fall by the wayside and others see what she's doing. Just keep doing what you do best and don't stoop to her level.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #62 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Quote:

Quote:

Not excusing what the lady is doing, but if this all because of a bunch of bad words. Vengence never solves anything. You can't stop people from speaking what they want. Just don't let it be true. All the bickering will run customers away. Let them see her ignorance, because this says something about her. Ask if I retaliate Will it help solve the problem or will it only make matters worse? it only makes matters worse. yea she will call and the lady will close and then what. Do you thing she is acutally going to stop? Now she probably purposely start calling health inspectors and get even worse. (Mod edited for content.)

I've already stated numerous times I not calling the health dept, nor am I doing anything out of vengence. I was asking what others would do. (Mod edited for content.) icon_smile.gif

(Mod edited for content.) If you were sure in your gut that your initial reaction was the right one, this discussion wouldn't be happening at all. Sometimes, in our greatest attempts to help ourselves, we make things worse.

I'm not suggesting that you bow down and do nothing. I am suggesting that you handle it in a very professional manner and not get sucked into unnecessary drama. Do your local banks call and threaten each other when one is bad mouthing the other? It's all business. And, if you know your product is superior, it will only be a matter of time before her comments fall by the wayside and others see what she's doing. Just keep doing what you do best and don't stoop to her level.

Very Well spoken icon_cool.gif . And as someone stated you have licensed resturants and they are not food safe. Some with scores of 60. I went in one place and ther was a dead roach in the food on the food bar. It was infested with roaches.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #63 of 90
Quote:

Very Well spoken icon_cool.gif . And as someone stated you have licensed resturants and they are not food safe. Some with scores of 60. I went in one place and ther was a dead roach in the food on the food bar. It was infested with roaches.

But if it's a licensed restaurant at least the health department does come in and inspect them, and can shut them down. With an unlicensed business they don't even get that chance.

With all the talk about right and wrong, why are so many people willing to give a pass to people who are doing the wrong thing by running illegal businesses?

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

come on... there are tons of people running business w-out proper permits and you don't see poeple hunting them to get them in trouble....

That may be true, but those people you mentioned are not playing with my food either. Food industry is different from traffic light flower vendors.

Of course, I don't jump off bridges if all my friends are either. icon_lol.gif

Just because someone is has gone through all the proper channels doesn't mean that they always practice food safety. Think about all the resturant that get low scores when they are inspected? And they have to have a low score before they are actually closed down.[/quote]

agree

how many places LEGAL FOOD PLACES... are infested with crawling creepers and they don't practice any kind of food safety... even (specially) the kids working in fast food places.... anyone remember the fast food place that got a video on you tube about something they were doing in the kitchen???

just because u have a permit... doesn't stop u from being a pig when it comes to ur kitchen....

dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #65 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

[

But if it's a licensed restaurant at least the health department does come in and inspect them, and can shut them down. With an unlicensed business they don't even get that chance.

With all the talk about right and wrong, why are so many people willing to give a pass to people who are doing the wrong thing by running illegal businesses?

have u seen how many inspector states have to ensure that food establishments are up to par? it;s like 1 health & food inspector for every 100 food places.... at times it's years and years before these people get caught....

Anybody watch kitchen nightmares with Chef Gordon Ramsey????? nasty nasty nasty....

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #66 of 90

So, what are you saying dalis4joe? There should be no regulations in place? Perhaps no inspectors? Anybody can just do what they want?

Since lots of places don't abide, no one should be held accountable?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:10pm
post #67 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

come on... there are tons of people running business w-out proper permits and you don't see poeple hunting them to get them in trouble....[/quote]

That may be true, but those people you mentioned are not playing with my food either. Food industry is different from traffic light flower vendors.

Of course, I don't jump off bridges if all my friends are either. icon_lol.gif

Just because someone is has gone through all the proper channels doesn't mean that they always practice food safety. Think about all the resturant that get low scores when they are inspected? And they have to have a low score before they are actually closed down.

Good point! thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:13pm
post #68 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

[

have u seen how many inspector states have to ensure that food establishments are up to par? it;s like 1 health & food inspector for every 100 food places.... at times it's years and years before these people get caught....

Anybody watch kitchen nightmares with Chef Gordon Ramsey????? nasty nasty nasty....

In our state, you are inspected no less than 4 times per year. I look at the "report card" in every food establishment I eat at. That's not to say some of them don't get a "heads up" before the inspector comes though icon_confused.gif You never REALLY know.

dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #69 of 90

no... I'm saying... people need to mind their business and NOT do things with bad intentions.... people will do what they want... the OP posted a ? and I gave my opinion.... I wouldn't be looking to report anyone...

I see it like stated above... picturing the one person on queque at the disney hotline waiting to report someone making a cinderella cake....

how many plumbers... machanics... electricians... contruction workers... interior decorators... cleaning people.... (this list can go on forver...) are working without proper permits etc.... and who am I to go looking to get ANYONE in trouble... IF THEY GET CAUGHT... that's on them...

I doubt that people are truly calling to report anyone because they are concern about a dirty kitchen.... and we all know that... when u do things like that... it's with malice.... u want the person to get in trouble and that is not something to be proud of....

but if you feel ok with it... by all means... go right ahead.... get your list of people you think/know are working without permits and report them... have a blast at it...

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #70 of 90
Quote:

Was that directed at me CookieMomME? icon_confused.gif

No Torchwood, that's why I didn't include your quote. I quoted jewelsq because I felt she was on a soapbox (as she herself stated) and I find that the difference between hypocrisy and righteousness and/or morality (law abiding concerned citizen, right versus wrong, etc) comes down to the almighty dollar sign (thus the quote from jewelsq of "dilute our local income base") sometimes.

I agree with some things you have said and not with others. But everyone here is entitled to their opinions. Thats why forums are good.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:31pm
post #71 of 90

Deleted.... this thread is on a fast-track to nowhere. thumbsdown.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #72 of 90

anyone else notice how far subjects get out of hand in forums these days? i remember when i first joined (not that long ago i might add) and you could ask a question, people answered respectfully, and you got on with your lives. (Mod edited for content.) question?

btw..i was going to go through a bakery listed in the phone book for my wedding cake but when i called, she told me that she baked out of her basement. to my knowledge, it is illegal to bake out of a kitchen connected to your house. so i decided not to go with her. i just couldnt bring myself to go with someone who is baking illegally.

i dont own a bakery so when i bake my cakes they are for friends and family only. i would love to make money off my cakes. would really help my husband out in these "hard times" as someone said. but i will not do so illegally.

i agree with indydebi. where do you draw the line on what is ok to do illegally?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #73 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesbyMomME

Quote:

No Torchwood, that's why I didn't include your quote. I quoted jewelsq because I felt she was on a soapbox(as she herself stated) and I find that the difference between hypocrisy and righteousness and/or morality (law abiding concerned citizen, right versus wrong,etc)comes down to the almighty dollar sign(thus the quote from jewelsq of "dilute our local income base") sometimes.

I agree with some things you have said and not with others. But everyone here is entitled to their opinions. Thats why forums are good.

Thank you for clarifying. icon_smile.gif

I agree about this thread "getting off topic", (Mod edited for content.) we all are from different walks, and belief systems and I just think it's innappropriate. icon_redface.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:00pm
post #74 of 90

I don't care who you are or what your life is like, do it illegally and I have issues with it. When I was literally starving and eating 1 meal every 2 days to make ends meet for a family of 3, I didn't work illegally.

I could have easily but chose not too. I don't need to listen to peoples sob stories, they can just cry me a river. I don't care what the excuse is. I've worked hard my whole life and I'm not stopping now to give someone a free pass and hold their little hand to have a double standard. If I can follow the rules so can they.

I worked hard to earn my title as Chef. I don't bake illegally and I KNOW proper procedure so well the HD has asked me to come work for them. Which I consider doing off and on. If anyone could bake illegally and get away with it from a safety stand point it's me, yet I don't because it's morally wrong.

Have I turned anyone in? NO. Would I? Maybe.

I'm a former Marine and live by the motto : Don't start none, won't be none. I'm the type of person to call this other baker out. Tourchwood, I don't know who you are but I'd be on her front step ringing her door bell to have a face to face. I wouldn't beat her up (although I might think about it) but I'd put the fear of God in her that's for damn sure. I'm a very intimidating 5'2" after all icon_wink.gif .

And if this post ticked anyone of so be it. No need to pm me you'll be wasting your time.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm
post #75 of 90
Quote:

no... I'm saying... people need to mind their business and NOT do things with bad intentions.... people will do what they want... the OP posted a ? and I gave my opinion.... I wouldn't be looking to report anyone...

I see it like stated above... picturing the one person on queque at the disney hotline waiting to report someone making a cinderella cake....

I doubt that people are truly calling to report anyone because they are concern about a dirty kitchen.... and we all know that... when u do things like that... it's with malice.... u want the person to get in trouble and that is not something to be proud of.......

Excuse me, but why do you assume to know what my intentions are? I'm malicious? You don't even know me. icon_confused.gif And as for Disney, etc. cakes...if someone STOLE my artwork for their own gain, I'd like someone to notify me. But maybe people feel theft is a matter of semantics..???

Opinions are one thing...and welcome whether you agree or disagree I respect differences of opinion. Judging my intentions is a whole other issue. icon_confused.gif

If someone found blood and urine at a local resturant play area for kids and the management refused to clean it properly, people would be on the phone to the Health department at lightening speed... Would that be malicious? Or are we again with the semantics...???

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesbyMomME

Quote:

No Torchwood, that's why I didn't include your quote. I quoted jewelsq because I felt she was on a soapbox(as she herself stated) and I find that the difference between hypocrisy and righteousness and/or morality (law abiding concerned citizen, right versus wrong,etc)comes down to the almighty dollar sign(thus the quote from jewelsq of "dilute our local income base") sometimes.

The dollar sign is the very last of my concern. A concern, yes, but very tiny. My point is the rules are for everyone. I, as a personal chef, had to answer to the health dept. regularly until my kitchen was built. I am mystified by people who don't think the rules apply to them.

And yes, I have called the police twice when driving. Once when driving behind someone who looked drunk and once when a child was willy nilly all over the back seat. Hypocrisy is a strong word to be tossing around the forums when we're discussing one topic.

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:49pm
post #77 of 90
Quote:

how many plumbers... machanics... electricians... contruction workers... interior decorators... cleaning people.... (this list can go on forver...) are working without proper permits etc.... and who am I to go looking to get ANYONE in trouble... IF THEY GET CAUGHT... that's on them...

I doubt that people are truly calling to report anyone because they are concern about a dirty kitchen.... and we all know that... when u do things like that... it's with malice.... u want the person to get in trouble and that is not something to be proud of....

but if you feel ok with it... by all means... go right ahead.... get your list of people you think/know are working without permits and report them... have a blast at it...

I always check with plumbers, electricians, mechanics permits and licensing. If they're not licensed, to whom do you go when their work doesn't pass inspection? Heck, if you're building a professional space, inspectors in some states won't even look at the work of someone who is not licensed. Licenses are to protect consumers.

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:55pm
post #78 of 90

Ok gals, here is another aspect that I have a problem with unlicensed kitchens. I do mind that I worked my butt off to get a licensed home kitchen and in Ca none this less! I haven't turned anybody in but when you show up at community events advertising your business and handing out samples, when you advertise on The Knot right next to me for half my price....then I have big issues with it!!

It's one thing to be illegal and take cakes by word of mouth from friends and family and it's another thing to go head to head with me and charge half the going rate! Of course you can do it cheaper. But am I not supposed to scream it from the top of my lungs, Yeah but your illegal.

I don't mind Playing Ball with You, but it definately an unfair playing field and why should I be silent. Debi is right I am a business woman now and as they say it's busness not personal.

It's a fine line that you cross in life when you do things illegally. Many people take it too far.

dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #79 of 90
Quote:

I know wouldn't, but if there was an unlicenced baker in your area who was talking trash about your business, would you report them to the Health dept? Not for trash talking, but for being unlicensed and selling hazardous foods. This person claims to be a home baker on their site, but is unlicensed. It's gotten back to me through customers who are friends of friends...small town. Can you be a home baker if you use a licensed kitchen that isn't your own? I was wondering about that...maybe techinically you can???

This sounds to me like you are wondering if you should report them BECAUSE THEY ARE TALKING TRASH ABOUT YOU..... so your intentions are clearly stated.... it doesn't say.... there is an illegal baker in my area and I am concerned for the safety of the client they might have.... and to report for being illegal not for talking bad about you...

perhaps I misunderstood your question/comment..... if I did.. I apologize....

icon_smile.gif

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:13am
post #80 of 90

Boy i wish I could delete all my comments from this post. This is too much drama for me! Maybe thats why 500 people viewed the post and didn't comment because they knew it was people who loved drama. Next time I'll do the same. Not Respond!

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:14am
post #81 of 90

OMG sorry for all the misspelled words in my post! I don't know if it was because I lost my glasses or if it was because I got a little heated. I think I'll go with politically correct version and say I lost my glasses!!!! (lol)

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #82 of 90

I didn't read that at all in Tourchwoods post. She seems like a level headed person so far in this thread. I do question many others on the same subject though. I'm amazed at how many double standards people have. She seems to have posted a question she was just pondering and asking peoples opinion on. Not as if she was going to run and turn them in. If she was going to do that she would have done it right off the bat and not asked the question in the first place.

kellertur Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #83 of 90

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #84 of 90

Geez.

dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #85 of 90

again....if I did... I apologize...

kellertur Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #86 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I didn't read that at all in Tourchwoods post. She seems like a level headed person so far in this thread. I do question many others on the same subject though. I'm amazed at how many double standards people have. She seems to have posted a question she was just pondering and asking peoples opinion on. Not as if she was going to run and turn them in. If she was going to do that she would have done it right off the bat and not asked the question in the first place.

Thank you for reading my posts.

(next part not directed at Mkolmar)

What do you mean by Drama? I see none other than the twisting of my words. icon_confused.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

As someone else said, times are hard and this person may not have any other way to make money. I'm just saying you don't know this person's situation and I really don't think it's fair to judge them.

Hot dog! With a daughter coming up with college expenses and me w/o any big cash surplus, I'm happy to know that no matter WHAT illegal activity I choose to participate it, that all of you will consider that "times are hard" and will look the other way and not call Child Protective Services when I open my sweat shop, or call the Zoning Dept when I open my "Women Over 50 Pole Dancing Lessons" studio! Woooo-Whoooo! party.gif I am home free to do ANYTHING I want! (Unless I use a photo of your cake on my website, which will bring out the lynch mob mentality against me .... THAT is unforgiveable and I already know that so I'll avoid that one. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Oh, and while I'm doing all of that, I can tell all of my customers a bunch of lies about my competition that will hurt their business and no one will call me on it. (And I wont' kid *MY* self .. bad mouthing them WILL hurt their business!) Thank HEAVENS for that woman way of thinking of always wanting to be NICE to people and not want to hurt anyone Feeeeeeeelinnnnnnngs and wanting everyone to LIKE them! Never thought that would work to my benefit.

This is all very nice to know!!! thumbs_up.gif

Wow, really? Talk about hyperbole. Someone talking smack about another baker is beside the point...op already said that wasn't the issue, but so what if she did? Maybe she gave her opinion. Everybody has one so this should be nothing new.

What this woman does in her kitchen is her business, period (unless, of course she's adopting orphans and forcing them to bake icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif )If she's deserving she'll get hers in the end whether she is or is not reported.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #88 of 90

I wouldn't turn her in. Most of us have started in our homes. It's too bad she's talking badly of you. I have several friends and acquaintances that are bakers and when I'm booked I refer them to these people and they do the same for me. I'd rather refer to small businesses like myself. I like to keep my competition "friendly"...there's plenty to go around.

I do bake in a shared commercial kitchen and it is legal in my state and required. It's not allowed to bake at home.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #89 of 90

Maybe her karma will be in the form of someone turning her in, though!

It doesn't have to come in the form of peasants with flaming torches banging down her doors, but if she's operating illegally I still say you would be completely within your rights to call her on it. Whether you want to do it in the context of telling her to shut her trap about you (to get back to the point of the OP's question) or just to call the HD and report her is up to you, based on your experience of what she's up to. The person who posted about an illegal operation advertising openly and undercutting people is an example of why this WILL afffect a legal business, whether anyone wants to pretend it will or not.

kellertur Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #90 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I wouldn't turn her in. Most of us have started in our homes. It's too bad she's talking badly of you. I have several friends and acquaintances that are bakers and when I'm booked I refer them to these people and they do the same for me. I'd rather refer to small businesses like myself. I like to keep my competition "friendly"...there's plenty to go around.

I do bake in a shared commercial kitchen and it is legal in my state and required. It's not allowed to bake at home.

I also like to spread the wealth and refer other bakeries. I know of two locally I can do this with and one just outside our State. I don't jive with the trashtalk. Like I said before, I hope they make lots of money to support thier "family" but just not at my expense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%