Have You Ever Reported Anyone?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 1:45am by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 90

I know wouldn't, but if there was an unlicenced baker in your area who was talking trash about your business, would you report them to the Health dept?

Not for trash talking, but for being unlicensed and selling hazardous foods. This person claims to be a home baker on their site, but is unlicensed.

It's gotten back to me through customers who are friends of friends...small town. Can you be a home baker if you use a licensed kitchen that isn't your own? I was wondering about that...maybe techinically you can???

89 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:47am
post #2 of 90

No.

Yes.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 90

I am too nice to my own detriment.. I wouldn't... it's her problem not mine.

& yes while you use a seperate kitchen to bake in ... but your business would still need to be registered with the county/city & state you are in (not to mention the tax depart & IRS for a EIN number).

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 90

I have not.

I would if it was bad enough.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 90

Good to know. I hadn't planned on calling, I just think it's a low blow to spread rumors about me when they have no idea what they are talking about. I don't say anything negative to my customers or potential customers about other bakers, and I don't understand why this baker feels the need...

I wanted to know if anyone else had called...

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #6 of 90

Depends upon the state and their regs. In Ohio, you have a cottage industry and not be licensed.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #7 of 90

would you report her if she wasn't trash talking you?

Yes you can be a "home" baker if renting commercial kitchen space.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #8 of 90

I never worry about what others say, because there is always going to be some one talking.. over look them by not saying anything that way you have the last word. And i was always told the more you stir poop the worse it stinks.thats my opinion. your the better person.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #9 of 90

You know, I've been asking myself that and I'm not the vindictive type, but I do worry about the customer safety. It really bothers me that they sell things that you cannot sell here even with a separate kitchen, someone could get sick. You cannot sell hazardous foods, including fillings here...PERIOD unless you are an actual Bakery or resturant.

I guess it's their problem, I just take my license very seriously. I wont' even sell licensed characters, etc...and they are listed on their site with prices...along with the hazardous foods.

I'm certainly NOT going to refer anyone to them, incase they get sick. I'd feel awful... I hope they make lots of money if they have a family to support, but I think it's foolish to take those risks.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #10 of 90

I wouldn't do it... just because I can't think of myself as bringing a problem to someone that it's non of my business.... if they get in trouble... that's on them... if they get caught... that's on them... but I wouldn't

as far as them talking about you in a negative way.... don't even bother to entertain (sp?) that.... I personally, if I hear someone talking bad about a competitor... it makes me weary of that person... why r they talking like that? are they scared that the other person is better?

think about how u feel when someone talks to you bad about someone else.... nothing else needs to be said... your work speaks for itself... if u r a good baker/decorator/bus. person.... that will take you far without needing to defend yourself....

good luck

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #11 of 90

I find it weird that there are over 330 views yet only 9 replies and at least 3 were mine, on a thread asking if anyone's reported another baker... icon_confused.gif

all4cake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:30am
post #12 of 90

or maybe they read it and decided it best all the way around not to reply for whatever reason...some report, some don't...

Do a search for this topic...the threads that didn't turn ugly should still be available to read through.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #13 of 90

I like your signiture line. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #14 of 90

Thank you!

all4cake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:49am
post #15 of 90

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-519393-turned.html

and the most threads regarding this subject came up when I searched

unlicensed

(topic title only)

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:58am
post #16 of 90

Wow, thank you!!

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:13am
post #17 of 90

I agree, would you think of reporting them if they weren't talking about you?
I think ppl like this want attention and every minute you spend thinking about them is giving them what they want. Some ppl can't live without drama. Just leave it alone and don't give it any of your attention. If you are following the rules and doing a good job, why would you care what they say or do? Just take care of your business, not theirs. Best wishes with the situation. icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:31am
post #18 of 90

This isn't meant to sound rude but to those asking if I'd report them if they weren't trying to destroy my business by badmouthing me:
I'm not in highschool, so I wouldn't report someone just because they hurt my feeeeelings. icon_smile.gif I'm not playing that game though, it just bothers me because I don't trash talk other bakers...life goes on. I just needed to vent I guess.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:31am
post #19 of 90

I wouldn't. I actually know of someone in my area that does sell from her home and I wouldn't turn her in. If this person is trash talking you then that speaks for itself. I'm leary of people that feel like they have to bash others and I'm sure that many people feel the same way. She's only hurting herself by trash talking you.

I also agree with torchwood, so many views and so few replies on such a topic of interest icon_confused.gif Maybe everyone is tired of the subject? icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #20 of 90

thank you mamawrobin. icon_smile.gif Good point.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:39am
post #21 of 90

You're welcome thumbs_up.gif

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:14am
post #22 of 90

Hiya, I wouldn't report this person. Sux that they are bad mouthing you and that would make my blood boil! I am sure your product speaks for itself and your repeat clients will keep coming back and recommending you to their friends/family.

I operate a decorating business from home, have no food licence to speak of as it is quite hard to obtain in the situation I am in. My clients know I operate a home bakery and are fine with that. I recently had someone 'dob' me in to a trading website where I have sold cakes for years and as a result have had my trading ability taken away - this has cost me approx 1-2 cakes per week ... all because someone thought they would speak up.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:20am
post #23 of 90

I wouldn't either. Stay on the high road. Don't sink to her level. Even though it would probably satisfy you in that instant to report her, she will have even more reason to bad mouth your business. There is a local bakery around here that LOOKS for people to report, and I look at her as a nasty person even though I don't know her... that's just the impression I get from her searching for people to report. I have never reported anyone, and never will. I just think I would feel guilty after the fact.

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:53am
post #24 of 90

I agree......stay out of it. If she is badmouthing you now, there is no telling what she will do after you report her. And trust me, she will
know it was you that reported her.....guilty conscience!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:06am
post #25 of 90

I'd call her up and tell her to shut her big mouth. If she knows that you know what she's up to that might be enough to make her stop. Don't ignore it when someone is badmouthing your business. I'd also tell her that I know she's working unlicensed, and if she continues to trash you then you WILL drop a dime on her.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #26 of 90

I also find it amusing that so many people say "don't tell on her, leave her alone" but when someone has a photo that's not theirs on their websites the lynch mob comes out.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:51am
post #27 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'd call her up and tell her to shut her big mouth. If she knows that you know what she's up to that might be enough to make her stop. Don't ignore it when someone is badmouthing your business. I'd also tell her that I know she's working unlicensed, and if she continues to trash you then you WILL drop a dime on her.

I agree that something needs to be done or said. People will remember one negative thing that they hear about your business much longer than they will remember positive things they've heard from others. They will also believe her more than they would someone who doesn't bake, because they'll believe she has inside info from somewhere.

I'll be honest, I know everyone is saying that you should turn the other cheek and just ignore her, but you'll just end up with a sore you-know-what if you do that in real life.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:51am
post #28 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I also find it amusing that so many people say "don't tell on her, leave her alone" but when someone has a photo that's not theirs on their websites the lynch mob comes out.

yep! another example of "I wish there would be some consistency on here!" icon_biggrin.gif

MimiDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiDee Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #29 of 90

i wouldn't report her, thats her business. whenever ppl mention reporting something, i just get this image of someone trying to get thru to walt disney on the fone....

"excuse me Mr Disney, baker so n so has broken your copyright laws and made a disney cake,..........just thought you should know..."

It just feels really silly to me, lol. i dunno, my tuppence worth...

but, on the other hand, i wouldn't take her bad mouthing me, i'd give her a call and ask her if she has said something.if she has.. then i would politely tell her...in sum other words to grow up! ;D

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #30 of 90

As someone who went to the expense of creating a commercial kitchen, I would report her. I don't care who is or isn't bad mouthing me. These two topics are apples and oranges for me.

Turning her in has nothing to do with me being a "meanie". I am one of the kindest, most benevolent people you would ever want to meet, if I do say so myself icon_wink.gif .

Reporting her has to do with the fact that there are rules and laws in place for a reason, whether someone agrees with them or not, whether someone makes the investment or not. Whether someone wants to afford to comply or not.

It was tough for me to build my kitchen. It was a hassle with the town. It took time to send the registered letters. It took a lot of money. And it took effort. We had to sue the hood contractor and in the 5 years it took--yes, 5 years as we wanted to avoid a lot of debt, we had our second child.

In the end, when I see an unlicensed kitchen, I see a report coming on. Why is it okay for my husband to spend painful days on his knees installing ceramic tile in order to be compliant but not the next guy? Why is it okay for that business to dilute our local income base?

Why is it okay for someone to blatantly ignore laws and rules?
Stepping off the soapbox now...

EDIT TO ADD: I might be confused here...as the original post kind of jumps all over the place. My opinion stands if the baker is working out of an unlicensed, uninspected kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%