Got A Lead From A Wedding Show--What Would You Do?

Baking By CharmingChelsea Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm by PTBUGZY1

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, so I made some cookies for my photographer friend to promote her business to take to a wedding show today. I got an email from a different wedding vendor who wanted to get the pricing on some cookies to promote her business at a future wedding show.

She is interested in 200 cookies. So, my question is, do I send her my pricing info and just cross my fingers?

Or, send her the info and offer her a large order discount, and if so, how much? The cookie I think she may be interested in is a diamond ring cookie that I would charge her 2.50 a piece for.

What would you do?

I'm attaching the pic of the cookies that were at the show
LL

9 replies
fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 10

Do you own a bakery?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 10

I think you'd do better to send her your retail pricing and let HER ask about any volume/wholesale pricing. If you offer that up in advance before she asks, you have no wiggle room!

Even better, I'd offer "free individual packaging" or "personalized tags" instead of discounting the cookie price itself. It's not "cheaper" or "less work" to make 200 instead of 20, you know? I'd first offer an element of it free, then if she inquires about making a larger order and the pricing for that you could consider a 10-15% discount for orders over 100 or something.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #4 of 10

Ditto what Antonia said! Don't assume the only way she's going to order cookies from you is if you discount them! You're offering her a unique and customized product, and that's something she can't get at WalMart. (Nothing against WalMart, but you know what I mean).

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 10

I would stick to your regular pricing, unless you're getting supplies for a big order at a bulk rate, I wouldn't discount her anything for a "bulk order" since it's still costing you the same amount of money to make them!!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 10

In past topics, many cookiers recommended that the only time it would pay to discount cookies is if you are gurarenteed a standing order (a large one at that) every single week. Other than that, you end up losing money if giving a discount. Like i posted in a different thread, i am guilty of giving discounts or freebies to people who promised to promote me, and i never once got any order from their so-called referrels.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 10

In past topics, many cookiers recommended that the only time it would pay to discount cookies is if you are gurarenteed a standing order (a large one at that) every single week. Other than that, you end up losing money if giving a discount. Like i posted in a different thread, i am guilty of giving discounts or freebies to people who promised to promote me, and i never once got any order from their so-called referrels.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 10

CharmingChelsea..... I remember a post from you recently asking about pricing, kitchens etc and was wondering did you find a commercial kitchen to use? I'd love some info if you did as I am also in Texas. Sorry if this is alittle off topic.

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

CharmingChelsea..... I remember a post from you recently asking about pricing, kitchens etc and was wondering did you find a commercial kitchen to use? I'd love some info if you did as I am also in Texas. Sorry if this is alittle off topic.

Well, I tried to go to the Farmer's Market in my area and the coordinator told me that I couldn't unless I used a commercial kitchen. She referred me to a couple of ladies who rented out time in their kitchens, one a baker, and the other makes organic fully cooked meals to sell at the market. The latter of the two does not operate an actual store, so she has great availability to rent her space to others. It's kinda far from me though.

However, I have made a new friend through my facebook page who makes cake balls in my area. She is doing awesome with her word of mouth advertising and wants to do weddings at large wedding venues MUST (not that she should not have done so anyway) get a commercial space and licensed to do so. She is going to be up and running later this month and is willing to rent out time to me. This large order I speak of is not until July, and I plan on taking the licensing courses necessary with this friend before then.

As far as the discount, I did mention in the email (prematurely before reading all of these responses icon_surprised.gif ) about a discount. But basically, I still haven't gotten back to her and the only real thing I am going to offer her is a much faster (not flooded) chocolate cookie with her simple logo in white for a reasonable price for my time. This isn't listed on my pricing info, but the outcome will definitely be worth my time because they are going to be fast to decorate.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 10

CharmingChelsea, good for you finding a kitchen, the closest kitchen I've found is in houston (I live near huntsville, a good 1 hour away) so I guess I'll keep looking and researching. Good luck to you. :^)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%