Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm by tesso

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, I have made marshmallow fondant twice now and have had the same problem both times. The fondant always has little pieces of what looks like gelatin in it. I assumed that I didn't melt the marshmallows all the way through the first time, so this time I made sure they were all melted before adding the sugar. I had the same problem again! Has anyone else had this happen and know what I am doing wrong? I use a little bit of crisco to coat a bowl, add marshmallows and a little water, heat until puffed, add flavor and color and then kneed in my sugar.

Can anyone help?

Thank You!

10 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 11

we need to know which recipe of MMF you are using, so we can troublshoot it.

Reganlynn Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 11

I use the recipe I found on cake journal.

1 bag of white marshmallows (8 oz)
Water (2 tbsp)
Icing sugar sifted (1 to 2 pounds)
Crisco to coat bowl
Heatproof bowl
Food colors
Flavouring optional

This is the recipe, and the technique I used is how I described in my orignal post.

tesso Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 11

okay.. try using this one.. its the one i use and it is fabulous..
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15170/marshmallow-fondant-3 it gets a little tricky when adding LOTs of food coloring to get dark colors.

From your recipe it doesnt look like you have enough marshmalllows. so maybe you are just getting spots of marshmallws instead of a complete texture throughout the mix.

Reganlynn Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 11

Thank You tesso! I will give this one a try next time. It never would have occured to me that I needed more marshmallow. It tastes and works great, but I can't use it with those flecks of gelatin all through it!

Thanks Again!!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 11

The problem you may be having is not your recipe - are you using KRAFT brand marshmallows?

I get the problem you indicated when I use generics. I'm afraid generic marshmallows are not the same.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with CookieMeister. Generic brand marshmallows do tend to leave pieces of gelatin in the fondant.

Reganlynn Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 11

Well, I thought that too! The first time I used generic and the second time I used Kraft and had the same problem both times. Glad to hear someone else had the problem though, thought it might be just me!

tesso Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 11

I have never had a problem with generic marshamllows. icon_confused.gif

Cookie miester which brand of generic didnt work for you? To make sure I don't accidently buy it. Or if i have already used them and just didnt have a problem.

I am all about experimenting. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 11

Ok so I am really confused, I have been using the genreic because I thought I read on here that the "Kraft" do not work. I haven't had any problems but I do let it rest and knead a couple of times before I add color. I also warm in microwave for a few secs if it gets too stiff. I just make sure it is cool when I apply to cake.

tesso Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSweetCreations

Ok so I am really confused, I have been using the genreic because I thought I read on here that the "Kraft" do not work. I haven't had any problems but I do let it rest and knead a couple of times before I add color. I also warm in microwave for a few secs if it gets too stiff. I just make sure it is cool when I apply to cake.

I have found it easier to add my color and flavoring to the melted marshmallows as soon as it comes out of microwave.

I also need to add that I use my mixer for the first blending of PS & mallows. Then I turn out and knead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%