Cake Mix Cheating??

Lounge By luvbuttercream Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm by deetmar

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 24

I don't think this is right place to post this but I can't find one that works...
Anyway I am wondering how many of you think using a cake mix is cheating I feel like I am when I use one but I have tried many recipes from scratch and people always prefer the one that is a cake mix I always ask without telling them which is which ...teeheehee. Anyway I cannot get the same fluffy cake that I do with a mix the scratch recipes are all so much more dense am I doing something wrong? I even have used the WASC recipe many times as to feel a little better about using a mix. Maybe like less of a cheater LOL any advice and input here would be great. I just feel I can't sell a cake mix cake or cupcakes with peace of mind.

23 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 24

You have opened a can of worms. This questions turns into a hot debate with hundreds of posts. Try the search option on this site and be prepared to read for a while.

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 24

Uh OH... LOL Thank you

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 24

Dear,
Get over it! God gives everyone different gifts and talents. Some of may have creativity flowing out of our veins, some can bake the best cakes out of sand. Do the best you can with the ability you have been given. If you cannot bake, but you can use mix... make the best mix cake anyone has ever tastest. If you can bake from scartch... bake the best scratch cake you can make. Let's just get over it. If your clients like your cakes, that should be enough. If you feel you are cheating, then you might want to investigate what makes you feel that way. There are a host of other issues we are facing in the world right now, and though I LOVE cake, guilty feelings about mix and at the bottom of the heap!
Get over it, and bake your mix cakes happily! Invite me over for some will ya! I am always happy to eat great tasting cake- mix or scratch!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 24

Seriously, this topic has been baked to death.

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 24

Onome: Thank you you made me smile and we all need that in our day!! I will take your advice to heart! And feel free to come for cake anytime. icon_biggrin.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 24

Sorry everyone for repeating a topic I can't find the topic anywhere on here. icon_sad.gif There is so many to go through.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 24

did you use the Search function?

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 24

No problem dear! Have a great day.

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 24

Geez good idea... actually never thought of it I actually don't use the forums often. Sorry

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 24

Agreed, this topic has been discussed so many times, but being new to the forum you probably don't know that! icon_biggrin.gif Try the search feature - for me it does not work sometimes, so if you have problems try going to google and type in your question and then put cakecentral at the end and then search, it will bring up the past threads for you. icon_smile.gif

BTW - I use box mixes for all of my cakes and just add to them. icon_smile.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 24

karenm0712 :Thank you so much and yes I did a search on here and only my topic came up. LOL I will have to try google.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 24

if they (your clients) like it.......... that's your answer.... if it ain't broken... don't fix it

icon_smile.gif

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

I just feel I can't sell a cake mix cake or cupcakes with peace of mind.

If you have decided cake mix is the way to go for you, then get rid of the guilt. It just makes it harder for you to sell yourself. A customer is coming to you for a well made, professionally decorated cake. If that's what you deliver, you're not cheating. I like how Indy phrases it - cake mix is simply one of the ingredients you use to produce a great tasting product. Obviously a straight cake mix might feed the guilt monster well, but if you doctyor/extend it (as in WASC variations) then it really is just an ingredient that makes your life easier. Like using an electric mixer instead of creaming by hand with a wooden spoon! There may not be as much sweat put into it, but you still made a fabulous cake and nobody cares! Think of it that way.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 24

I just moved to a high altitude area and everyone I have asked said I needed to use the mix. I have tried everything but the mixes are the only thing I have got to work so far. I have had no complaints.

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 24

Wow great analogy MyDiwa that actually made me feel 100 times better. Than you and Have a great day!

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 24

If using a mix is cheating a lot of bakers do it. The Bakers kitchen is selling a premium cake mix they say is the same as the one they use.

I much prefer doctored cake mixes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 24

HAHAHA! I am really beginning to regret my choice of topic here!! How is the weather everyone?? LOL Kidding. I think I get the point all in all it is just a matter of personal preference right?? No one is right and no one is wrong. I do really appreciate all the input and am glad no one was rude I have seen it happen on these forums and I do not wish to be the brunt of someones strong headed opinions. Again thank you all for the wonderful input and if anyone has any trued and true great scratch recipes please feel free to share.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #20 of 24

I just stopped by to see the train wreck. I guess everyone's so sick to death of this topic that no one has any fight left in them. LMAO

You know what I learned when I opened a full-service retail bakery after doing custom cakes only for 12 years? That cake mix comes in 50 pound bags. icon_biggrin.gif

Get over whatever the issue is and just do cakes however you like to do them. icon_smile.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #21 of 24

Cakepro: Thank you and I agree with all the time and energy that goes into decorating I don't think it has to be a big deal. And hey I make my own fondant and frosting from scratch so I am not a total cheater.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

Cakepro: Thank you and I agree with all the time and energy that goes into decorating I don't think it has to be a big deal. And hey I make my own fondant and frosting from scratch so I am not a total cheater.

The term "cheater" is an invective when used in the context in which you used it. Are you trying to start some drama here or what? Who cares if you make anything at all from scratch? I use FondX and Pettinice fondant. Half of the cakes I do are made with Dawn cake mix. Does that make me a "cheater" or a bakery owner with a bunch of happy repeat customers?

I think it's time for you to abandon the topic. Have you seen all the pretty cake pictures on the home page? icon_wink.gif

luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:50pm
post #23 of 24

Sorry I was not at all implying that those who do not use homemade fondant are cheaters I was stating it is all personal opinion some may think that is cheating I do not feel any of it is cheating because yes I have seen the cakes on the homepage and I do know all of it takes a lot of hard work. Consider this topic closed I was hoping to escape the drama that could of been caused by asking a simple question I seem to have manged to stick my foot in my mouth anyways.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #24 of 24

I have problems with the search functions sometimes too, and I try to be very careful before asking a question especially if I think it's controversia or stupidl.

I was going through Wall Mart check out lane one day, a guy a head of me had his cart full of canned icing, I mean, he bought every one on the shelf. The lady at the check out asked him if he liked icing, he said, no it's graduation season I have a lot of orders!

When he turned around I recognized him as the guy that wins all the ribbons at the State Fair! I thought "now who looks stupid?", "the judges that taste the stuff, the rest of us who make our own, or the guy who buys all of his frosting?" I have never tried store bought frosting, but there must be people who like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%