Help...cake Was A Wrong Flavour!

Decorating By lea74 Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm by jenmat

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys I made a cake for first communion (it's the one with doves) and I made the wrong flavour. Customer said she was very disapointed. She asked for marble cake with chocolate buttercream and I made vanilla cake with hazelnut praline SMBC -she called it peanut butter filling... icon_confused.gif Should I give full refund, should I offer 20% discount on next order ( I have a feeling she won't be a returning customer) or should I make 6" round and just give it to her free of charge?
This has never happened to me before...I learned my lesson ...triple chech each order

7 replies
Paigeness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paigeness Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

Oy, that was a true cock-up, wasn't it? Not much that went right there!

I would apologize profusely and make her a free eight-inch cake in the flavors she ordered. A six-incher is a little on the cheapo side, idn' it?

lea74 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 8

you're right....I offered her a full refund or new 8" cake free of charge....

Paigeness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paigeness Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 8

Whoops! I seem to have been censored. That should have read (mod edited again for language.)

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 8

i think u did the right thing.. u realized it was ur mistake and you made an attempt to the client... that will make the client feel like she is valued...

icon_smile.gif

lea74 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 8

I can't believe this...the client said she doesn't want the refund, she said she knows I put a lot of hard work into the cake and she doesn't need another cake for few months...
Why do I feel so bad? icon_sad.gif

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 8

Yoù did the right thing. She must have like the cake if she said she would come back in a few months. Accidents happen we are human we make mistakes. You did the honorable thing don't beat yourself up over it

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 8

then offer her the next cake free up to $$$ or a discount on that one. That will make sure you can redeem yourself.
We all feel bad when we mess up. Its natural. But remind yourself you didn't do it on purpose, it was an accident, and then move on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%