Clay Extruder?? Which One Do You Have?

Decorating By chelseak Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 6:29am by HowCoolGomo1

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:27am
post #1 of 19

I tried to do a search but nothing came up in the forums...I do remember seeing a thread about clay guns a while ago...but of course I can't find it now. There is one by Walnut Hollow at Micheals, is it any good? And of course there is the Sculpey. What kind do you have and do you like it?

Thanks!

18 replies
bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #2 of 19

I just bought the Makins Ultimate (green metal) from Hobby Lobby last week and I love it! Got it for about $13 with a 40% off coupon. HTH

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #3 of 19

I have the green Makins model as well. So far so good.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:52am
post #4 of 19

I have both, the black tube with red handles and the Makins.

Makins, rocks my world! Thank you again Texas Rose! She's the one, who turned me on to it and the Makins aisle at Hobby Lobby.

The other one is great, don't get me wrong. The Makins is just so much easier to use. Plus you can put more stuff in it.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:55am
post #5 of 19

Have tried several. Will stick to the green metal Makins. I think it is the best of any I've tried.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:31am
post #6 of 19

I have the Makins, also. It's less expensive (about half the price of the squeeze type), and it's a little easier on your hands, since you're turning/rotating the bar to extrude vs. squeezing the handle on the other type . HTH icon_smile.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:10am
post #7 of 19

I found numerous recommendations for the Makins on here and put it on my Christmas list a while back. I absolutely LOVE it and wouldn't want to be without.
Definitely get the Makins!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:24am
post #8 of 19

Anyone know where I can pick one up in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area? Michael's and Joann Fabrics don't carry it

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:28am
post #9 of 19

My parents live in MN and Michael's was supposed to have it but was always out. I think in the end they had to order it online. But that thing is worth every penny. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 8:06am
post #10 of 19

Ren715, yhave to get it online - they don't carry it in those stores out here anymore. JoAnn.com has a good price because you can use the 50% coupon to make it about $12.50 or so (even if the product is on sale; once you enter the coupon code it allows you to take 50% off of the original price)...then they get you for $6 shipping but you're not going to find it for less than $18 shipped anyway. I recommend looking into it; I just bought a replacement one there last week.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 19

Ditto on the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder. One of my favorite tools icon_smile.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks everyone! I am in Canada though, we don't have Joann's or Hobby Lobby here... icon_sad.gif They only have two at the Micheal's here, the Sculpey and the Walnut Hollow. And I have a 50% off coupon right now for Micheal's....Hmmmm, shipping is always ridiculous from the U.S to here.. Oh well, with the 50% off the Sculpey will only be about $17, so maybe I will just try it out.

Thanks!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks everyone! I ended up buying it online at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon. Price and shipping were the same with Joann and Hobby Lobby but since Hobby Lobby isn't in California, I got it without sales tax...almost a 10% savings. I can't wait to get it icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #14 of 19

Dang, I wish I'd thought to do that!!! icon_cry.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #15 of 19

I have been wanting one but had no idea what they cost....i think I will be going to hobby lobby this week! Thanks!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 19

I like the Makin one. HOwever, I find it is a little sensitive and easy to break. I recently bought one of the large clay extruders with a 1" barrel, and I LOVE it. It's very easy on your hands and fondant and gumpaste go through it like butter. So I use the Makin for small projects, but anything of size gets my new large one. I can easily make a ribbon for a large cake with this!

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 19

What is the name of the new large one you purchased?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #18 of 19

I think it might be called an Artway. You can find them at Polymerclayexpress.com

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:29am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

I have been wanting one but had no idea what they cost....i think I will be going to hobby lobby this week! Thanks!

Just a heads up. Hobby Lobby is having a 40% coupon this week, supposedly on anything in the store.

If it's only internet, pm me and I'll send you the code.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%