What Rolled Cookies Actually Taste Good?

Baking By katnmouse Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 7:36am by KrisCraft

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 47

I just made a batch of rolled cookie dough from the recipe in the "Cookie Craft" book and I just don't like the flavor...its very bland and doughy tasting. icon_cry.gif Is there a really good tasting rolled cookie dough recipe anyone could share? I wanted to try decorating some cookies and possilby make some for an upcoming shower, but not if they are going to taste like this first batch!
Thanks,
Kathy

46 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 47

Try the NFSC (No Fail Sugar Cookie) recipe from this site. It's wonderful! I use 2 parts vanilla to 1 part almond extract in mine.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 47

I agree, NFSC use real butter and no artificial flavorings...makes a big difference.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 47

adding lemon zest does lovely things for the flavor of sugar cookies.

if you want a chocolate rolled cookie that taste great, try the dark chocolate cookie here on cc. i also make this and add coconut flavor to it and it is awesome icon_smile.gif.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 47

I make these (just look up the recipe online), and they're very good and hold their shape well.
Good luck to you!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 47

I agree - I like the NFSC recipe, too! I add extra vanilla or sometimes another natural flavoring (almond, pumpkin spice, cherry, caramel, etc.). I've added lemon zest with great results too.

It is not an overly sweet cookie (like an actual sugar cookie) - but I like it even without icing. It is especially nice for decorated cookies because there is so much sweetness from the icing on top, the cookie balances that nicely.

Other recipes that I've tried and liked are the roll-out cookie recipe from Martha Stewart, Penny's cookie recipe. I've heard great things about the "modified NFSC recipe" (there's a great thread on here about it).

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 47

... I just noticed I didn't put the name of the recipe... d'oh! Anyway, they're called "Gimme Some Sugar" cookies.

katnmouse Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 47

Comparing the recipes from the Cookie Craft book to NFSC guess what? They are one and the same! However, after letting them rest overnight, and adding the icing I like them...I don't love them...but I like them okay. My husband cannot take even one bite. He says there is some overwhelming flavor/odor that he doesn't like. I think it may be the almond flavoring I added with the vanilla. They remind me a lot of shortbread cookies and I was never a shortbread fan. So I'm going to experiment with adding and subtracting things and see if I can make something I like. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 47

I believe since rolled sugar cookies are pretty much designed to have icing added to them, they would taste a little bland just by themselves. (Ever had the Mexican Wedding Cake cookies without the outer coating of powdered sugar? Bleck!!!!!!!!! Tasteless!!)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 47

I like to use vanilla bean paste in my rolled sugar cookies... takes the flavor to a whole new level. Also, if your recipe doesn't call for salt, be sure to add some--it makes ALL the difference!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 47

NoFailSugarCookies (NFSC) are terrific. They are not overly sweet and go great with royal icing or glaze. They are firm enough to decorate and stack, but slightly soft when you bite into them. Yum!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 47

I add Lorann's buttery sweet dough flavoring to my sugar cookies. It gives them a nice, rich butter cookie flavor.

Also, if you're not already using real butter, try that instead of margarine. It makes a big difference.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:21pm
post #13 of 47

Try this recipe. It is KHalsteads modified NFSC. I made them last weekend and they were yummy.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15218/khalsteads-modified-nfsc

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 47

The sugar cooke found on Cookie Crazie's blog is sturdy but doesn't get too hard. It has sour cream in it, which is an interesting flavor. Not too sweet alone. You could probably add extra sugar.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 47

I have tried many sugar cookie recipes and the one that is the best is the NFSC. Hands down it beats all the other ones. I do add almond extract and always get rave reviews about the cookies.

katnmouse Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #16 of 47

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I don't have much (okay, any) experience with decorating cookies icon_razz.gif and I guess I was expecting them to be tasty when nude just as cake is. But alas, it is not to be....at least not if I want them to stand up to decorating. I will try the NFSC with some additional vanilla and maybe some other recipes for comparison. But I guess that's all part of the fun.
Kathy

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #17 of 47

I kind of like the taste of NFSC 'nude' and so do my kids. If your cookie tasted too 'doughy' then you didn't bake it enough. Try leaving them in a bit longer and see if you notice a difference.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 47

Try the world's best sugar cookie. You will love it!!!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:06pm
post #19 of 47

I am trying KHalstead's version of NFSC for the first time - next time I might use PinkZiab's suggestion of vanilla bean paste - sounds so yummy!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #20 of 47

Double vanilla NFSC cooked just until set will be a mild base flavor, golden will be more flavorful, browned edges will have a more nutty flavor.

I use salted butter and omit the leavening.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 47

Said above twice, but just to be sure the point is made: Real butter, unsalted, the best you can find. If you use margarine or "I can't believe it's not..." you will get a yucky aftertaste. You can flavor the NFSC also with grated lemon or orange rind and/or a little bit of lemon/orange extract or oil. Delicious.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #22 of 47

I use a variation of the NFSC (1/2 tsp. BP and bump up the vanilla - PinkZiab's idea sounds great!). I also add all-natural flavorings/extracts from Spices Etc and get rave reviews. I some in the dough and some in the RI (Antonia74's). I have used, and liked, Coconut, Lime, Orange, Cherry, Lemon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Two Fold Vanilla, Raspberry and I love, love, love their Clear Vanilla. It is perfect for when I need a flavoring in my RI that will not compete with the cookie flavor or when I am doing white or a light colored RI (no color tint as with normal vanilla).

If you ever want to check it out, here is a link to the page on their all-natural flavorings and extracts:

www.spicesetc.com/category/Natural-Flavorings/a

As well, here are the codes for a first time order:
CC9 flat rate shipping of $4.95 for orders within the US only
AKT9 15% for US or international orders (discount taken before shipping costs)

Choose the one code that applies to you or what you want and enter it at the beginning of checkout and then continue on.

The Flat Rate shipping will be the first option for shipping under the billing information and the 15% off will show up when looking at the summary.

I have had great reviews on the NFSC (use the best quality ingredients though), so I would give two thumbs up on that recipe. The flavors just give me more flavor options an my cookie friends who have tried them have been really happy with them too.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 47

I made NFSC yesterday, and added a bit extra sugar (maybe 1/2 cup). The "nude" test cookie was very good, but still not too sweet for using with icing.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #24 of 47

I bought a box of the 102 cookie cutters from walmart in the wilton section. On the back of that box is the best cookie recipe. Not sure if it is a butter cookie or sugar cookie, but I use it for my cut-out cookies. I think it's called a "rollout cookie". I can roll them thick and they don't spread. I even made cookie bouquets with them. I cannot make a thick NFSC nor the modified recipe without spreading.

P.S...and this recipe says "DO NOT REFIGERATE DOUGH"...which I like.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #25 of 47

My family is a bunch of chocoholics. They don't really like sugar cookies so I use a rolled chocolate cookie that I found at Smitten Kitchen. They are fabulous. I just made some for my kids soccer teams.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 47

I love sugar cookies, but I hate the taste of the NFSC.

It has a weird after taste. I have used different ingredients and nothing.

I have made the ones that come in the bag, that you just add water to, and they were amazing. In my book what a sugar cookie should taste like.

Every time I buy sugar cookies in the local bakery, they are sweet. NFSC are not. icon_sad.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:14pm
post #27 of 47

For years as a pastry chef, I tried and tried to find the perfect cut out cookie recipe. I wanted one that tasted great, and could be rolled thick. I wanted it to keep a sharp edge rather than "sloping" and kept it's shape- even when using detailed cutters. At the time, I modified the recipe in "The Joy of Cooking" and it was great. I almost always added either cinnamon or lemon oil. Now that I am opening my own bakery business, I can't remember what modifications I made to that recipe. I left it behind in the recipe book at the place I worked. So, I have been trying out different ones for the past few months. This one comes from the back of the box for a set of butterfly cookie cutters I bought. It is the best I have found- even better than the one from years ago.

Buttery Sugar Cookie Recipe- 1 c butter, softened. 3 oz cream cheese, softened. 3/4 c sugar. 1 egg. 1 tspn vanilla. 3 c flour.
(Hopefully you all know the mixing method for cookies, but pm me if not and I will send more detailed directions.) The dough gets divided in two, wrapped and chilled for 2 hrs. Bake 350 for 7-10 mins. HTH! edited to add- I think it must be the cream cheese that makes theses taste good and have just the right amount of softness to them.

katnmouse Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #28 of 47

Yes Cristy, that is what I wanted...a SWEET bakery taste cookie. I'm going to try KHalstead's modified NFSC and see if I like it any better. My try at No Fail Sugar Cookie was a fail. They were hard and floury tasting. YUCK! thumbsdown.gif

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #29 of 47

I love Khalstead's Modified NFSC, they are really good if you roll them thicker.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:25pm
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel5370

For years as a pastry chef, I tried and tried to find the perfect cut out cookie recipe. I wanted one that tasted great, and could be rolled thick. I wanted it to keep a sharp edge rather than "sloping" and kept it's shape- even when using detailed cutters. At the time, I modified the recipe in "The Joy of Cooking" and it was great. I almost always added either cinnamon or lemon oil. Now that I am opening my own bakery business, I can't remember what modifications I made to that recipe. I left it behind in the recipe book at the place I worked. So, I have been trying out different ones for the past few months. This one comes from the back of the box for a set of butterfly cookie cutters I bought. It is the best I have found- even better than the one from years ago.

Buttery Sugar Cookie Recipe- 1 c butter, softened. 3 oz cream cheese, softened. 3/4 c sugar. 1 egg. 1 tspn vanilla. 3 c flour.
(Hopefully you all know the mixing method for cookies, but pm me if not and I will send more detailed directions.) The dough gets divided in two, wrapped and chilled for 2 hrs. Bake 350 for 7-10 mins. HTH! edited to add- I think it must be the cream cheese that makes theses taste good and have just the right amount of softness to them.

So these keep their shape? I have been meaning to try a cookie recipe with cream cheese. This might as well be the one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%