Cake Exterior

Decorating By Cakelayer Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm by Cakelayer

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 5

When I bake smaller cakes (5",6",7") I find that the outside of the cake is not brown, even somewhat uncooked even though the middles are completely cooked. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this?

Thanks,
DianaJJ

4 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 5

Perhaps bake a lil longer? How are you preparing your pans?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 5

I've had this to happen to me once. Are you baking several cakes at once? The only time that this happened to me was when I baked 4 cakes at the same time. The 10 inch came out fine but the 8 inch that baked with them weren't brown at all but they were done. I bake 4 six inch cakes at once all the time and they always brown nicely.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 5

ALton Brown says you need to rotate your pans if you see that your product is not baking evenly... so if some are baking fine and others are not... perhaps you can rotate half way through it...

When I bake multiples... my smaller ones always get done faster... so I take them out sooner than the bigger pans... and they are always nice and golden brown...

hth

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 5

I just use the typical shortening/flour prep for the pans. The tops of the cake get brown, but the sides that don't have a crust. The crumb is loose and light in color.

Thanks for the answers,
DianaJJ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%