Is It My Cake Or My Buttercream?

Decorating By candicemorgannicholson Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm by indydebi

candicemorgannicholson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemorgannicholson Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:33am
post #1 of 7

Ok so here is what is happening. I was baking tasting cakes. It is my first time using this pan but I am not sure why it should be any different from any other pan. It is a square pan and the demensions are about 2 inches wide 4 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches deep. I stacked and filled them 3 cakes high. They cooled properly and were fine until I went to buttercream them. I am not sure what happened from here on. When I applied the buttercream it was literly peeling off the cake. I am not sure if something is wrong with my cake or what. The buttercream was plenty sticky but just was not sticking to my cake. What happened and how do I fix it?? Thanks for all your help in advance.

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:09am
post #2 of 7

im not very experienced with buttercream, but ive found when i have trouble keeping it on the cake, its usually because its too thick, Perhaps trying to thin it down a little may help

cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:51am
post #3 of 7

yes, you just need to add a little more liquid to your buttercream to get it to a softer smoother consistency. then it will smooth out perfectly on your cake. just add a little liquid at a time to get the right consistency.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 7

I agree. Thin your buttercream a little.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 7

Anther ditto. That bc is too stiff. BC should be about the same consistency as whipped cream.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

I will piggy back on that... too stiff... I always thin my BC just a bit b4 I start to crumb coat...

hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 7

Agree ... icing is too thick (plus a little cake that is 2x4x1.5 will be a PITA anyway icon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%